Palo brunch First timer

Chandra C

Mouseketeer
Since there’s seems to be a lot of food related threads I figured I’d add to the mix. I’ve been on several Disney cruises but have just reserved Palo Brunch for the first time on an upcoming 4 night on the Dream. To those who have eaten there or maybe just researched it, what are the “must try” items? I’m not a foodie by any means and just a simple country girl so I’m a bit overwhelmed with it honestly. Also, I think I read that sandals aren’t allowed? I’ve kept it pretty casual on previous cruises with sundresses and Capri pants but it sounds like I need to wear heels? Thanks

Sandals are allowed.

The cold buffet is Fab. I could have just eatee the ahi and lobster from there and been happy.

Sundresses and capri pants are okay. I wouldn't wear flip flops, but nicer sandals are definitely okay. The lasagna and chicken parmesan that you order off the menu are both delicious!

My suggestion is to try a bit of everything especially what you might not normally. You’ll be shown the buffet stations, I recommend skipping most of the pastries and breads (tempting to fill up on these) but leave room for dessert. The tiramisu is my fave!!

I think you will enjoy it! I would not be intimidated at all. For all the posts I read about Palo brunch, I went there thinking the food options would completely blow me away. It was very good, I liked everything I tried, but it wasn’t as awe-inspiring or as memorable as I expected.

I would probably go again, but I do not feel Palo Brunch is a must-do. I think I am in the minority!

I go to brunch for the chicken parmesan, the arancini (rice balls) and the aged parmesan (with or without aged balsamic vinegar). I'm not a seafood eater so all of those options are wasted on me but if you enjoy seafood, there are many options. We are usually so full, we don't sample much from the dessert section. I'm a very picky eater and I always manage to have plenty of great items at brunch. But I agree with the PP, sometimes people rave so much about Palo brunch, you can go in with unrealistic expectations. Is the food better than I can get in a good Italian restaurant at home (North Jersey), no. But it is a step up from the MDRs and delivers a good selection.

Palo has gone a little more casual recently and brunch was always a bit more casual than dinner. You should be fine.

Perhaps whoever told you no sandals was thinking of the Remy brunch. They have a stricter dress code.

I think my favorite thing about the brunch is just how visually appealing it is. The food is so pretty!! Don't be afraid to try things you would never try otherwise! Then you can go back for what you really like. I agree that the chicken parm is fantastic!

So the brunch basics are:
  • Get up in the morning
  • DO NOT EAT - ANYTHING!!
  • and walk 3 or 4 miles on deck 4
  • Cool down, get cleaned up
  • Go up to Palo
  • Take your time (we are usually there for 1.5 - 2 hours)
  • First Mimosa or Bellini is free (1 for each person 21yo and older)
  • Enjoy
Remember, it's a "buffet" with many stations: Cold Seafood, Breads and Cheeses (try the Parmesan Reggiano with honey), anti pasta (grilled and fresh vegies), sweet breads (but NOT "Sweet Bread" :crazy2:) and then finally desserts. Oh yea, there are the hot dishes as well AND Pizza!! If they have the Gorgonzola and Grape pizza :confused3) Go For It!

DW and I each get what we want from the various tables, and then will either share some hot entrees, or get half orders when possible.

At the end of your time in Palo, order up a wheelbarrow to take you back to your room!

Most Important: Do not attempt to do Palo Brunch and Dinner back to back (same day OR dinner last night, brunch today). I'm a big guy and MY body can't take it. And the food is "richer" than what we are used to, so other issues can arise from too much great food (and a little drink).

Buon Appetito

Last edited:
The Arancinis, the chicken parm, the cheeses in the buffet... If I remember correctly there were champagne infused fruits in the buffet too??? That was amazing too.

My best advice is to avoid anything that you can either get somewhere else on the ship (like melon or plain pastries) or anything that you can buy at home better/cheaper/homemade.

They had an almond croissant that was wonderful on my Palo visit.

So, I did double-check. Remy and Palo both say NOPE to flip flops. Remy says no sandals (which is kinda funny, but I get why they say it). Palo does not say "ixnay on your sandals." Given that it's rather specific for Remy (and specific for Palo that jeans can be okay), this should clear up the "if sandals are okay." They are.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/

(and for Remy, I do giggle that shoes appropriate for Oscar red carpets wouldn't be allowed, but, hey. Their ship, and I suspect they saw a lot less Jimmy Choo and a lot more Keen.)

Try the bloody mary's. We had one made from fresh squeezed tomatoes that was wonderful.

Also a first timer. If I am able to book Palo Brunch (sea days only, right?) and then decide once we are on the cruise that we want to cancel, is there a fee for canceling? As as a first time cruiser, I’m not sure there’s even much of a chance I’ll be able to book.

The cheese selection is usually excellent. There are many options on the buffet, but you can also order from the hot menu, I particularly like the eggs Benedict. Also, as others have mentioned, on the dessert buffet the fruit with champagne jello.

This thread has me all excited as my first experience at Palo is coming up in about 64 days.. :yay: I've been perusing the menu and I'm definitely going to order the lasagna and chicken parm. Can anyone suggest the eggs benedict? It's a favorite of mine but I know they have it at cabanas on most mornings.

The best advice I've read:

Do not eat anything in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!