Palm Restaurant at HRH

AdventureFamily

Earning My Ears
I do a fair amount of travel in my work and have on several occasions taken a group of prospective clients to Palm restaurants in New York and Washington. While the food and service has always been remarkable, it puzzles me why there would be one at a family-oriented, theme park hotel. Even if we were traveling without the children, I'm not sure we could justify going to such an up-scale place after spending the day in the parks.

That said, please convince me otherwise. We are going (wife, 2 kids - 9 and 6, and myself) in November. I'd love to sink my teeth in to the dry-aged, certified Angus beef and a nice Merlot, but feel it would be lost on the kids.

Comments....

AF

Well beside the fact that you are making me hungry, LOL. I heard nothing but complaints about The Palm when I was at the HRH in June. I did not try it myself, but talked to people on the elevators and in the halls that did not like the restaurant. There are so many good restaurants in Citywalk, I would try one of those instead.

Kim:wave: :wave: :wave:

I was underwhelmed by the Palm. Apparently, though, it has become popular with local high-rollers (actual and wannabe) and perhaps that's the real target audience for the place.

If you do go request to be put on Frances' station. She's a GREAT waitress, a good cut or two above the Orlando average.

That's my point exactly. In NYC and Washington DC, there truly is a need for this type of place. Lots of business being done, etc. At IOA and USF, I want to be far away from that. Let me go to NASCAR or Margauritaville... I'll eat steak at home.

I guess since there is already a HRC at Citywalk, the HRH folks had to put something in there.

AF

We ate at the Palm at HRH in April with our 2 kids. The food was very good and it seemed very child friendly. There did seem to be a mixture of people there from local business to dats to families on vacation. We wanted something at the HRH and the Menu at the Sunset Grille didn't appeal to us.

We ate at the palm during our June stay. We too usually enjoy this type of meal but found it just didn't fit in with the whole Universal experience. After having a great reasonable dinner at Margaritaville the night before, we found the Palm to be a little bit too stuffy and cursed ourselves for spending all that money on it. It was truly the low point of our dining experiences at Universal. The citywalk restaurants are much more fun and keep you in that vacation spirit without putting a serious dent in your wallet.

We had always heard such great things about the Palm, the one at HRH is less than spectacular. Don't do it, if you have been to the other ones that live up to the reviews, you will be truly disappointed here. There are some great restaurants over on City Walk and the kids will love them. For outstanding food our favorite is the Latin Quarter...they also have a great wine list to go with the meals..they do some mini type singing/dancing shows while dinner is going on...it is very nice. You and the kids will love it. Be sure to make a reservation though, even if you are staying at the HRH...this is a very popular place and the wait can get rather long.

We've just got back from the HRH and last Thursday decided to try out the Palm Restaurant as there was a thunderstorm. We have two kids (5&7). It was very expensive - two bottles of reasonable red wine came to $76 +tax etc!! The waiter was friendly but stuffy at the same time. My 5yo spilt all his orange juice everywhere :D but they happily cleared away the mess! You get a $20 voucher when you get the key to your room for the Palm Restaurant & our friends in the next room had one too - so as you can only use one per table - we gave one off the cost of our huge bill and left the other in part-payment for the tip!!! :D :D The food is nicely served - but over-rated - would only go the once just to say we have been!!:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter