Painting Questions?

UMTerp

DIS Veteran
How long does satin wall paint need to dry before you put tape on it in order to paint the trim?

What kind of brush/pad/etc works best for trim painting?

One tool that I bought for painting that has been great is a 5-in-1 tool to get extra paint out of rollers. It is amazing!

TIA!

UMTerp

maybe i'm confused, but so happens i have been doing lots of painting lately. i put my tape up first, second paint the trim, then roll the walls. that way you can roll over top your trimming and wash-out alot of your brush marks. otherwise, i'd probably wait a good 24 hours before taping. be careful, i have pulled a tiny bit of paint off here and there removing my tape

i have an angled brush, maybe 1 1/2" to trim. i believe in buying a good quality trim brush -- and cheap rollers. i just throw the rollers away when i'm done. you can also put your brushes in plastic bag and keep in frigerator if you'll need like the next day. i also froze my rollers, yes that's right, froze them. put them in plastic bags (grocery) wrapped up and put in my freezer until i knew i was all done with that color.

we have painted our entire downstairs over the past month or so.

i know some folks that like those trim-pads, i just can't get the hang of it.

hope that helps --- good luck

Oh, maybe we are doing it backwards! We prepped everything (including sanding the trim). Taped over the trim and are painting the ceiling and walls. Next we are going to do the trim. That's what the book from Home Depot said the order should be! The trim will be painted white again while the wall is a new color.

Thanks for the tip about the brush!

Anyone else tapped over freshly painted walls to paint the trim?

Thanks!

UMTerp

If you're painting the trim a lighter color that the walls, I'd do the trim first. This way, if you mess up & get crooked lines, etc., You can cover it with the darker color in one step. The eye tends to go to the lighter color. So if you do the trim second & it's splotchy at the edges, you would have to go over it with the wall color again.

oh wait -- i read that wrong, when you said 'trim' i'm thinking painting along the baseboards, windows, ceiling with a regular brush. you meant the baseboards. i'm sorry

i still like to do my tedious hand-brush work first, maybe i like to get that out of the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter