Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the feeling like I'm subsidizing attractions I know I won't go on/attend.

"IF" it is indeed subsidizing (or helping pay off) these new attractions, as well as future attractions/lands (esp ones that wouldn't be built otherwise)-I'm fine with it.

Results in more choices to either purchase, or wait standby.

Just a shout out to another Storyland fan :) I love the parks in NH. As far as ride mechanics, they have many of the same/similar rides as Disney, but the cost is a mere fraction - you can get a season pass for less than the cost of a one day ticket to DW. The lines, compared to Disney, are non-existent. Many times my kids can ride multiple times in a row with little to no wait. The parks are also VERY clean. Santa's Village is also a good value - now it's showing it's age a bit, but I also know they're in the middle of updating the park, and when you consider you get access to both the theme park and the water park (which is quite nice), it's a great value.

As far as when is it too much - my husband would say 5 years ago. He doesn't find Disney worth the money. While he fully agrees that they are in a class of their own with regards to the shows, parades, characters etc... he also fully considers them over priced, especially when compared to the regional parks. I am bordering on the same thoughts - now, I think income/budget influences perceived value, and we're a one-income household with two special needs kids - in other words, the budget is small, a mere fraction of what many people here have to play with. So, thinking logically, I too, am really in the camp of the cost is too much to justify, and if we have to start paying for the FP+... then yes, it probably will mean we don't go back. However, if we had more disposable income, then honestly, I probably wouldn't be as bothered by the price, and I would gladly pay for the FP+.

Though therein also lies part of the "moral dilemma" (if you can call it that) - the fact that Disney is fast becoming a playground for the wealthy. It's not attainable for the average Joe like it used to be. Way back when, having free admission (or a very small admission fee) then paying for rides, made the park pretty much affordable to almost everyone. Sure, some people would be able to afford more rides than others, but they all waited in the same line. They all watched the parade and fireworks from the same place. Everyone had the same access opportunities. Now, you have essentially a class system: the "uppers" get to pay for better viewing, or less crowds (before/after events), earlier booking of FP+, private front of the line access, and now possibly better access to FP+ in general... while the "commoners" have to just take the leftovers. And I think that is what is leaving such a bad taste in so many people's mouths. It's also what makes this next move a bit risky for them.
Don't forget the exchange rate for you, which is terrible right now. We are looking at hotels in downtown Toronto and thank goodness we're paying in USD!

Don't forget the exchange rate for you, which is terrible right now. We are looking at hotels in downtown Toronto and thank goodness we're paying in USD!

Definitely. I priced out a trip, it came to about $3500 USD (that included airfare etc)... in Canadian that turns into $4800. I really miss the rate we had 6-7 years ago. Wish it would come back up, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Disney does not care about the average American. That is not their target demographic. If you don't make more than $100k dollars a year, they aren't trying to lure you into the park. Does it suck? Yes. But that's what is happening. People pay $700 to $2,000 for a room at the Grand Floridian per night, Disney wants to make sure that they can ride the attractions that they want. If that includes paying for some FP's, so be it. But it won't be a price that the average American will tolerate, or pay.

Disney does not care about the average American. That is not their target demographic. If you don't make more than $100k dollars a year, they aren't trying to lure you into the park. Does it suck? Yes. But that's what is happening. People pay $700 to $2,000 for a room at the Grand Floridian per night, Disney wants to make sure that they can ride the attractions that they want. If that includes paying for some FP's, so be it. But it won't be a price that the average American will tolerate, or pay.
Disney has substantially more onsite value rooms, moderate rooms and campsites than they have deluxe and DVC rooms. They care a lot about filling those rooms. To fill those rooms they have to appeal to much more than just the upper middle class and higher.

Last edited:
That would be what Disney essentially did originally when there were ticket attractions. It was not popular. People don’t like having to pay per ride and it would make disney world feel more like a carnival.
It wasn't that unpopular since it lasted for decades. It stopped because of Epcot, as Disney could not think of a comprehensive way to monetize World Showcase using tickets.

I think Disney can always fill their moderate and value rooms in any season, but they are focused on providing more higher category rooms and developing more added revenue services to bring in more families that will spend at higher levels. We've seen them squeezing more revenue every last place they can - tickets priced by calendar demand periods, huge increase in annual passes, resort parking, a 2 hour early entry at $100 per person, dessert parties, and so on... and many extras targeting big spenders.

Disney has substantially more onsite value rooms, moderate rooms and campsites than they have deluxe and DVC rooms. They care a lot about filling those rooms. To fill those rooms they have to appeal to much more than just the upper middle class and higher.

Not so sure I'd place $250/night and up accommodations anywhere outside of upper middle class and higher. IMO, the mods are now for this class, no longer solid middle class lodging which I consider sub $180/night.

Deluxes and Mods make up over 60% of hotel rooms on property.

But, somewhat to your point, the other percentage is made up of value resorts (which do include some very expensive rooms at AoA).

Very few regular (or lower) middle class people can afford moderate rooms. Those are being filled by the uppers. Many middle classers are struggling just to afford the value rooms which average $150 a night. And they might be "value", but there are still many upper middle and higher class that stay at those rooms, just because the theming etc... As far as the campsites, they appeal to campers, regardless of class. They're not cheap.

Very few regular (or lower) middle class people can afford moderate rooms. Those are being filled by the uppers. Many middle classers are struggling just to afford the value rooms which average $150 a night. And they might be "value", but there are still many upper middle and higher class that stay at those rooms, just because the theming etc... As far as the campsites, they appeal to campers, regardless of class. They're not cheap.
How about try $415 for a “value” at Art of Animation!!

I believe there are more moderate and deluxe, versus value rooms. Either way, they aren't trying to fill those rooms. It happens for them. They really only have to show up every day and value hotels are getting filled. They just opened Riviera, which is DVC only, and Gran Destino, which is moderate plus. Moderate hotel rooms are pretty expensive. And they just keep adding more and more pay to play experiences, not less. They have various private tours, VIP tours, the ultra $12k VIP tour, Villians after hours, regular after hours, club level, paid fast pass at club level, early morning magic, and Halloween and Christmas parties. And that is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Disney Cruise Line is also adding more concierge rooms to their current ships and building more to start in the new ships. Yes, Disney wants to fill value rooms, but they are catering to the high class clientele, not the average American.

I believe there are more moderate and deluxe, versus value rooms. Either way, they aren't trying to fill those rooms. It happens for them. They really only have to show up every day and value hotels are getting filled. They just opened Riviera, which is DVC only, and Gran Destino, which is moderate plus. Moderate hotel rooms are pretty expensive. And they just keep adding more and more pay to play experiences, not less. They have various private tours, VIP tours, the ultra $12k VIP tour, Villians after hours, regular after hours, club level, paid fast pass at club level, early morning magic, and Halloween and Christmas parties. And that is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Disney Cruise Line is also adding more concierge rooms to their current ships and building more to start in the new ships. Yes, Disney wants to fill value rooms, but they are catering to the high class clientele, not the average American.
If you're saying that Value rooms sell themselves and they're always full, what more can Disney do to cater to what you consider the "average American?" Lower ticket prices? Then people will complain the parks are too crowded. Lower hotel rates? Then people will complain they can't get into their favorite resort because they're full.

What each person considers expensive is objective. Why would a vacation destination try to cater to someone who can only spend $130/night when they can go after those that can willingly pay $1000? If there was not a demand for pay to play experiences, they wouldn't exist. I like Early Morning Magic, and don't mind paying for it. I buy Christmas and Halloween party tickets even though I couldn't care less about them, but my kids find value in it. I would do Club Level in a heartbeat for the food access, if we didn't do Deluxe Dining. I would happily pay for the ability to book Fastpasses at 90 days vs. 60. I HOPE they bring back a Star Wars Guided Tour, because I will pay to not have to wait in line. There's probably other stuff we'd find value in to pay for, because my time is worth it. And there are plenty of things we either don't find value in or that we can't afford, but that doesn't bother me. Why do people get so worked up about what others can do and they can't? If someone is willing and capable of paying $12,000 for a tour, more power to them, I think that's fantastic they can do that.

If Disney didn't have these extras, there would be a segment of people that wouldn't go to WDW because they don't want the same park experience as the average person. I don't see Disney cutting off the extra income they bring in and alienating their higher income clientele to appease guests spending a percentage of what others are. It doesn't make sense as a business.

I agree, when u get into high middle and upper class, that's basically a niche market and is a very small market. It's no secret the sweet spot is middle to lower middle class, they are the ones that literally spend the most money hands down and their also the ones that will go into debt just to go to wdw, this is the majority of the market. These are the folks that get a $5k tax return and use to go on vacation. Disney cares about getting everyone's money and that's a fact but they know where the money is at and it's not the upper class, yes they have the money but they dont spend it, the money is with the class that spends it the most and hands down the middle class spends more money than everyone else combined. Not to mention, I think we'd all be very surprised to learn who is exactly renting those $1000 night rooms, if we had a way to actually get this info I think we would learn it's more middle class using credit cards going in debt than upper class.

Last edited:
If you're saying that Value rooms sell themselves and they're always full, what more can Disney do to cater to what you consider the "average American?" Lower ticket prices? Then people will complain the parks are too crowded. Lower hotel rates? Then people will complain they can't get into their favorite resort because they're full.

What each person considers expensive is objective. Why would a vacation destination try to cater to someone who can only spend $130/night when they can go after those that can willingly pay $1000? If there was not a demand for pay to play experiences, they wouldn't exist. I like Early Morning Magic, and don't mind paying for it. I buy Christmas and Halloween party tickets even though I couldn't care less about them, but my kids find value in it. I would do Club Level in a heartbeat for the food access, if we didn't do Deluxe Dining. I would happily pay for the ability to book Fastpasses at 90 days vs. 60. I HOPE they bring back a Star Wars Guided Tour, because I will pay to not have to wait in line. There's probably other stuff we'd find value in to pay for, because my time is worth it. And there are plenty of things we either don't find value in or that we can't afford, but that doesn't bother me. Why do people get so worked up about what others can do and they can't? If someone is willing and capable of paying $12,000 for a tour, more power to them, I think that's fantastic they can do that.

If Disney didn't have these extras, there would be a segment of people that wouldn't go to WDW because they don't want the same park experience as the average person. I don't see Disney cutting off the extra income they bring in and alienating their higher income clientele to appease guests spending a percentage of what others are. It doesn't make sense as a business.
I am not saying that they should cater more to the value group at all. We just stayed deluxe in December and had a great Club Level visit and enjoyed the perks immensely. The original comment was that Disney does not cater to the average American, it was not a complaint, more of a statement.

I agree, when u get into high middle and upper class, that's basically a niche market and is a very small market. It's no secret the sweet spot is middle to lower middle class, they are the ones that literally spend the most money hands down and their also the ones that will go into debt just to go to wdw, this is the majority of the market. These are the folks that get a $5k tax return and use to go on vacation. Disney cares about getting everyone's money and that's a fact but they know where the money is at and it's not the upper class, yes they have the money but they dont spend it, the money is with the class that spends it the most and hands down the middle class spends more money than everyone else combined. Not to mention, I think we'd all be very surprised to learn who is exactly renting those $1000 night rooms, if we had a way to actually get this info I think we would learn it's more middle class using credit cards going in debt than upper class.
If they aren't going after the upper and middle upper class, why do they keep building DVC and moderate and deluxe hotels? And why do they keep adding extra payable experiences and taking away the non-paid stuff? Yes, it's a niche market. But it's a niche market with a lot of money to spend.

They also actively worked to create that demand.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter