Packing Tips

sablebomb

Mouseketeer
I did a quick search but I didn't see anything for what I was looking for.

First time traveler to Disney (October).
Any packing tips, must takes, things we don't want to forget?

Both packing from home and packing to go to the parks each day?

Off the top of my head to take to parks daily:
- phone/camera
- sunscreen
- ponchos
- autograph books for the kids
- large pen for character signing
- sunglasses
- bug spray??

Bugs have never been issue for me either BUT my better half has issues with the bug bites. I would also consider some sort of grease for your feet. Blisters can be a problem, at least it used to be a big problems for us until we started greasing up our feet. The grease will reduce the friction and keep the blisters away, especially if you wear tennis shoes. We would have blisters so bad by mid week that we could hardly walk. We no longer have that problem.

BandAid sells a blister block but I have used stick deodorant in a pinch. If you find yourself with blisters or a hot spot, cover it with moleskin. Bandaids just make things worse. A battery to recharge your phone is important if you are staying all day.
We also bring some snacks - goldfish, small cereal boxes, etc.

A lot depends on where you are staying (kitchen or no, washing machine or no) and the make up of your party.

Thanks....... yes, blister stuff! Added to the list.
We are staying off site in house with kitchen and washing machine.
Three adults, two kids.

How old are the kids? That will change your packing list drastically! Are you trying for ultra minimalist or are you a heavy packer with a stroller? In the past we've brought in a cooler filled with drinks, snacks for the kids, etc. Depending on the age of the kids you may have them carry their own items into the park. I like to have something for the long lines to keep DD occupied. Remember there are splash zones in the park, so I've found a microfiber towel (very small, more like a hand towel size) is useful to dry her off and then get her changed. Again, it depends on the goals; if you are trying to go for a little as possible I wouldn't even bring a poncho and just buy one while there. That said, items I find I really need:

Park Bag:
Magic Bands :)
Chap stick
Extra sun screen (Florida is brutal for my skin)
A large sun hat
band-aids packets (I literally carry this in my purse all the time though - and the one time she fell and scraped her knee I was grateful not to have to walk to a first aid station)
extra battery to charge cell phone
Water bottle (depending on your touring style; last time I was there I didn't end up refilling mine so...)
cooler with drinks (but I have a stroller so I can pack heavy)

General packing tips:
I LOVE packing cubes. They help me organize myself and my kids. I do two for the kids (clothes and nighties) and then at least two to organize my clothes. That way we can all use the same large bag but everything is separated.
folding hangers; there are never enough in the hotel rooms and I like to hang the clothes so I'm organized.
folding hampers; dirty laundry has a place to go!

Don't forget to take rain gear. I also take a UV umbrella for shade when I walk around because I burn way to easy. Plus it keeps me cooler. It will also makes you easier to spot, so your kids can find you.

I take a cup that I can fill with water and ice (you can get free ice water at any counter service).

One of the other fun things I take is a bottles of bubbles for entertainment during the lines for the kids. It is amazing how when they get a little tired, it can take a bad mood and make it better (and for everyone around you.)

We used:
Ponchos
Moleskin for blisters
Chapstick
Sunscreen spray and stick
Hats
Flip flops (for days we were riding wet rides)
Snacks
Water bottles
Phone chargers

Stuff that I'm bringing in my park bag:
a Frogg Togg cooling pad thing - actually 3 of them (1 for me, 1 for each kid, DH carries his own)
3 ponchos - 1 for me, 1 for each kid
water bottle
a couple of blister band aids
wallet
cell phone, charger cord, battery charger + small ziplock bag to put it in
park ticket media - whether it's your magic band or hard plastic ticket card thing
a pen
itinerary printed out for the day (i.e., ADRs, FP)
1 small travel umbrella
a huge 4" brim Tilley Endurables hat - I wear this, of course. Love this thing. It's wonderful.

Stuff that's going into my luggage:
normal stuff like clothing - but only 3-4 days' worth because I usually do laundry half way through our vacations
a couple of Tide pods so I can do the laundry and not pay $2/packet of laundry detergent
bathing suit
flip flops
favorite sunscreen
vitamins (prescription meds go in the carry-on bag)
also in the carry-on bag - 1 clean outfit for me & the 2 kids (in case our bags are delayed in their arrival) + a toothbrush for each of us
pin lanyard in case I decide that I want to trade a pin (I usually don't because I just add to my pins instead of trading, but I always tell myself that maybe I'll trade a pin this time)

One of the other fun things I take is a bottles of bubbles for entertainment during the lines for the kids. It is amazing how when they get a little tired, it can take a bad mood and make it better (and for everyone around you.)

Please be mindful of those who don't want to have bubbles pop on them. Many times I've been in a line and had one pop near my eyes/on my glasses. Fun to watch....preferably from a distance.

I know it sounds weird but a couple of ziplock bags, I have found a lot of use for them including shoving phones in them during wet rides. Also wipes, not just hand sanitizer but actual wipes

may be a silly question but I'm a newbie and first timer so I'm gonna ask anyway......

So everyone has a bag packed to take with them to the parks. When you go on the rides, do you leave them at the place that they load the rides?? And they stay safe there?

may be a silly question but I'm a newbie and first timer so I'm gonna ask anyway......

So everyone has a bag packed to take with them to the parks. When you go on the rides, do you leave them at the place that they load the rides?? And they stay safe there?
Most if not all rides have a little "pouch" to put a bag in. Even rollercoasters like space mountian have them. So aslong as its not HUGE it will fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!