Packing tips for cruise/Disney World combo trip

We’ve done 2 days at WDW followed by 7 nights on DCL. We use packing cubes. We had one smaller bag we used for the parks portion and another bigger one for cruise. We didn’t touch the cruise bag until we were on the ship.
For parks bag, I had one cube with everyone’s socks, undies and PJs. I put all four of our clothes in one large cube for each day, zipping dirty clothes back into the cube at the end of the day and pulling out the next days clean cube to have ready for the next morning. I also had a cube packed in there with everyone’s clothes to embark the ship. I had our toiletry bag in there as well and packed it at the top when we left the resort so I could easily grab it on the ship without messing with the other cubes.

For the Cruise bag, I packed a little differently. Each person’s clothes went into their own smaller cubes. Ex: my daughter had one cube with socks, underwear, pajamas. Another cube had princess and dinner dresses, another had swimsuits and a few casual T-shirt’s/shorts. I just unzipped the cube, folded the top under it and put the whole thing into the drawers in the room. I didn’t pack much bc we washed a few days into the cruise (including clothes from the wdw portion so they wouldn’t stink when we got home). Washing wasn’t a huge deal. I wake up early, so could put a load washing before I go workout. Then drying on my way back to the room. And grab them out of dryer after showering and eating breakfast.

I like to use packing cubes and specify different ones for each destination. So when we get to our first destination I pull out the cubes with outfits for those days and put them in drawers and leave the rest of the suitcase packed. Then I either put the clothes back in the cubes or in a dirties bag after they’ve been worn.

Our last trip was 10 days and had 3 different locations (puerto Rico, ship, Orlando). I ended up doing laundry twice, on the second leg and third leg. I could’ve held off on the second one but our bathing suits wouldn’t dry in the bathroom on the ship so I wash and dried everything so it would be easier to pack. And it was nice to shower without multiple bathing suits and rash guards for 4 people hanging up :P.

Last year we had a similar vacation where we were in different places every few days and I packed by person instead of location. It was much messier and more frustrating as the trip went on and things got more disorganized.

Anyone done a cruise following a few days at Disney? It will be 6 of us traveling at the end of summer and I am looking for packing tips. Do you pack one suitcase for Disney and one for the cruise? I was thinking that way you can just put the Disney suitcase full of dirty clothes in the closet on the cruise and not deal with it?

Literally thousands of people have done this LOL!. But seriously, we pack one bag for both places. And count me with the fans of packing cubes. I got mine on Ebags. I find I wear many of same things at WDW that I would on the cruise. I would have some fancier stuff that I would not wear at WDW but I would still pack in the same bag. Most suitcases will fit under the bed. My tip would be to find things that you can wear more than once and that go together to make several outfits. You can do laundry at WDW or on the cruise if you needed to.

MJ

We just got back from 3 nights pre-cruise, 7 nights on the Wonder, and 3 more nights at the resort. We flew SW
so I checked 3 bags. We had a small roller with pre-resort clothes and toiletries. Our large bag for the cruise stayed locked at our first resort. After we got on the Wonder I sent two dress shirts out for pressing. Forgot to mention that
our 3rd small roller was costumes and accessories. Later on in the week I did do laundry on the ship. Returning home I flew UA and got 2 checked bags free, and filled up the third roller with clothes and shoes only.
Used RAC at the Yacht Club and my 29" checked bag weighed 51.2 lbs. I had to take out 3 shoes and put them in my carryon. Now I've misplaced the odd shoe, but still looking for it. I will get better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter