Packages Returning to TDR--Should I book?

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
TDR resort packages I see are back for visitors-- they are being released on March 22nd and the first block of booking is for stays up to June 29th. We are not eligible to book yet for our August trip but wondering if it's worth booking when it becomes available? I know the packages are quite expensive though with us going at an insanely busy time I am thinking it may be the only way we may be able to get to do any attractions. I have read through the details of the packages on the website though am still not 100% clear on what exactly the packages include-- it doesn't say anything about the shows but in the TDR Explorer Guide previous packages included shows, on the Toyoko Disney site it list some of what it includes: park tickets, hotel, drinks, breakfast, attractions, character meets, popcorn bucket, a couple souvenir items and says and more (what's the more?) but then also in small print it's says some packages don't include everything mentioned, so a little confused. I am also wondering if in purchasing a package would we have a better chance of getting on more attractions. It has two lists of attractions timed (which seems like the Premier Access ones minus a couple) and ones that you can experience at anytime-- assuming these are the standby ones --does that mean we would get preference to get on than someone with a regular park ticket?

If it really is a benefit to get the package, I am considering doing the 2 day package which would include one night at a hotel (we would ideally like to stay at the Ambassador--I know reservations go fast but would love to get the Stitch themed room as my daughter is a huge fan) and two park days. So not sure if this is possible but I was thinking if I could get a room only reservation for the night before the package starts and then one for day after so we'd still end up with 3 days at the resort. I know I may not be able to snag the same room category but would rather not have to switch resorts. I am not even sure if I was lucky enough to get the same category room if we'd be able to stay in the same room?

If anyone has done package in the past and can give insight if the package would actually give us benefits in getting on attractions (don't really care much about the other perks like popcorn bucket or souvenirs and is the restaurant even open early enough for breakfast so that you can eat and still get there for early entry). I am just so stressed about the fact that we are going to be there during such a crazy busy time and just want to make the most of our time there.

August is definitely not an insanely busy time by Tokyo standards but will likely feel busy to someone not used to TDR.

I never purchase vacation packages but have a friend who does quite regularly including during the pandemic by getting things shipped to a friend living in Japan. Given this caveat, getting a specific room like that is difficult if your dates are firm. You can see what you get but it seems like people have the best chance of getting a specific themed room if they're just searching for one night in an entire month period and then build the rest of their trip around that.

In my opinion, the main reasons to book a vacation package are to access the vacation package exclusive character meet & greets and to guarantee a spot in the vacation package section for shows. If your main goal is attractions, just booking a Disney hotel and getting in early will get you on a ride or two in that time and then you can use Premier Access to do a few more.

Each vacation package does include different things so read the fine print to know what you're buying. My understanding is that for the designated time tickets, you will book a time and it shows up in the app as part of your "plans" for the day. In the past, they did have physical tickets for the any time of day attraction tickets that you use to access the fastpass line. So basically these are extra fastpasses and you can still purchase Disney Premier Access if you wanted to ride Beauty and the Beast again. The exact system for attraction tickets for vacation packages changed during the pandemic and none of my friends actually bought packages focused on attractions recently because it seems silly to pay so much extra just to do something you can already do normally.

I believe breakfast at most of the hotels starts at 6:30 right now. For an 8AM opening, you'll have to decide what you want to do during Early Entry. If you eat breakfast, you can make early entry at like 7:15 BUT you will likely be in the back of the pack for Early Entry and possibly wait like 20 minutes for your first ride (which is still better than 2 hrs+ for popular attractions). If you skip breakfast, you can get to the park entrance before breakfast starts and likely be able to get to be at the front of the line for one ride during Early Entry then be in line for your second ride before the park opens to regular guests.

August is definitely not an insanely busy time by Tokyo standards but will likely feel busy to someone not used to TDR.
We are going during Obon week which I have read is one of the worst weeks in terms of crowds to go to TDR since everyone is on vacation for that week (TDR Explorer says this is one the weeks to avoid).

Thank you again for all your help and feedback. I guess I will have to wait and see what opens up first whether it is hotel reservations or packages and see what it includes.

I booked it as it went on sale this past tuesday ( for end of june). I booked it as it is nice that I already have some of the "fastpasses" for some of the big rides already. Its pricey though...I need to book one more night (room only) separately when booking window opens though.

I booked it as it went on sale this past tuesday ( for end of june). I booked it as it is nice that I already have some of the "fastpasses" for some of the big rides already. Its pricey though...I need to book one more night (room only) separately when booking window opens though.
I tried to do a mock booking when I got the email about packages being available as of March 15 but when I went on the site it said you now had to wait until March 22 to book.

Once booked did you receive any more details if reserved seating for any of the shows was included? Were you able to book times for the rides (for those with timed entry) and also wondering if there was any more information about attractions that are stand by and how that works (do you just get to pick one from the list or multiple)?

I know it's pricey that's why I am leaning more toward the 1 day package-- as we only really have two full days to enjoy the parks. Fingers crossed you can also get a room only reservation.

I tried to do a mock booking when I got the email about packages being available as of March 15 but when I went on the site it said you now had to wait until March 22 to book.

Once booked did you receive any more details if reserved seating for any of the shows was included? Were you able to book times for the rides (for those with timed entry) and also wondering if there was any more information about attractions that are stand by and how that works (do you just get to pick one from the list or multiple)?

I know it's pricey that's why I am leaning more toward the 1 day package-- as we only really have two full days to enjoy the parks. Fingers crossed you can also get a room only reservation.
I think they one with the shows is the one not available yet. That was an option when we logged on but it wouldnt book and then later says not available. We got the one with the rides. We picked our rides/times before even paying! 3 attractions per day.

Honestly it's up to you, but Obon is going to be ridiculously crowded + Japan is hot as hell during summer. Unless you want the perks, I don't think it's really that worth it.

Honestly it's up to you, but Obon is going to be ridiculously crowded + Japan is hot as hell during summer. Unless you want the perks, I don't think it's really that worth it.
Eh, Obon isn't the entire month of August. Most of the month should be fine, precisely because it's so hot an uncomfortable.

Does anyone know when the next block of packages will be released? I was hoping to get the 2 day package but still need to book additional hotel nights. Our window to be able to book at TDR hotel for August is mid May so hoping I will be able to book the package night first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter