Pacific Crest Trail anyone?

SeeDisney

<font color=red>I drove by my WAWA <br><font color
has anyone done or known someone that hikes this trail? Any thoughts? input please. Looks like my college son WANTS and IS going to this soon.

What part? Technically I've hiked a couple of miles of it around Lake Tahoe. Is it just a segment or is he going to try for the whole thing?

Is he trying for the whole length? The FKT numbers are around 60 days depending on the level of support.

"Wild" by Cheryl Strayed is a recount of her journey across the trail. Good read but maybe not so much if it's your child who's embarking on the task.

Still just a dream for me! I have read many trail reports from thru hikers and they are very inspiring so it is easy to get caught up in the romance and adventure of the idea. The hikers face so many physical and mental challenges and it is a real accomplishment to make it from end to end, however you get there. Some people do sections every year, eventually completing it all. Some take known shortcuts or are forced to detour due to weather so they skip sections of the trail. There is a 'season' for hiking the PCT and an official kick off every year, so you have to be financially prepared to take the several month 'season' off from school/work and engage in plenty of exciting planning beforehand and packaging of your food and gear to pick up along the way. Unless you are already fairly experienced in multi day backpacking trips, it is going to be very difficult to judge food consumption and stamina limits. Maybe a scenic section would be more realistic for myself and most people before going all in!

My nephew tried to walk part of it in California last summer but had to stop because of forest fires. I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed and it sounds less hospitable than the Appalachian Trail. My same nephew walked its full length about six years ago.

I did it when I was 22 - Mexico to Canada. Then again when I was 35 - the other way. Solo the first time. With my (then) wife the second.

A spectacular, life affirming/changing experience. I grew up far more than if I had spent that time in college.

thank you everyone for the input of advice. Yes, my 22 year old son wants to do the whole thing.....I am nervous.

thank you everyone for the input of advice. Yes, my 22 year old son wants to do the whole thing.....I am nervous.

Mobile phone coverage isn't too bad these days. He could use it for navigation features by downloading maps first, then using GPS when needed. I've been in a few situations where it might have come in handy. A solar-powered battery pack (or two) might be helpful too. They can be exposed to the sun while hiking to charge them up all day. They're kind of slow, but as long as devices aren't drawing power from them constantly they should be useful.

I'm sure you want him to check in with you. He's probably already researched where to so things like send in supplies and where to load up on stuff. And where to shower every once in a while.

I would look into a Satellite unit if I was going to through hike a long trail. I like the InReach from Garmin but there are others out there.

I would look into a Satellite unit if I was going to through hike a long trail. I like the InReach from Garmin but there are others out there.

Isn't a satellite communication kind of expensive? The information on that web page said that it requires a subscription.

I was thinking SPOT, but that also has a subscription requirement and a minimum 1 year contract.

Isn't a satellite communication kind of expensive? The information on that web page said that it requires a subscription.

I was thinking SPOT, but that also has a subscription requirement and a minimum 1 year contract.

You can get non-contractual plans for under $20. There are things I wouldn't do without one and that includes a long through hike. YMMV.

You can get non-contractual plans for under $20. There are things I wouldn't do without one and that includes a long through hike. YMMV.

Sure. I somehow thought that the price of emergency communications was included with the price of a SPOT unit, but that's got at least a $149 annual subscription or a one year minimum at monthly rates. Is it possible to get a used sat unit?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter