Overnight stops east of Baton Rouge

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping some of my Texas and SW Louisiana neighbors can help us.

We have a trip planned for July. The last time we took a Disney trip (in our minivan), we left our home at 2:30 a.m. and made it over the bridge in Baton Rouge at about 5 or 5:30 a.m. We did this on purpose, because that bridge is a big, mean, hairy animal most of the time. They should rename it the Rougarou.

We considered leaving early with the camper, but due to logistics with the camper I don't see how we can do it without waking up at 1:00 a.m.
We thought we might leave the evening before and stay at a campground in Louisiana just west of Baton Rouge. We could wake up at about 4:00 a.m., unplug, put kids in car seats, and make it over the bridge before the rest of the Cajuns wake up.

I'm looking on RVParkReviews, but not seeing a whole lot. I was wondering if any of you know a good, safe, easy location to stop for the night. We would probably arrive around 8:00 p.m. or so and leave early the next morning. I'm hoping for something between Breaux Bridge and Baton Rouge, but the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge is right there, and we don't have an amphibious camper. I'm guessing Breaux Bridge is our best bet, even though it would be a good hour's drive, which would mean we would want to wake at 3:00 or 3:20 to make sure we are on the road by 4:00.

Anyone have any good recommendations for good overnight places? (Please don't recommend Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc.--it will be July in Louisiana, and we just aren't as hardy and pioneering as our Cajun ancestors.)

Last edited:
Been awhile since we lived in Lafayette, so don't know of any CG's near Breaux Bridge, but we have stayed at the KOA in Scott, just west of Lafayette.

Are you continuing through B.R. hitting I-12, then picking up I-10 near Slidell?? If so, I recommend you getting through the B.R. to Hammond area very, very early!! It has been one more traffic mess since a lot of the NOLA folks settled in the area after Katrina. It's not so much the Miss. bridge you have to worry about, but the traffic in the whole area.

Good luck, especially if your travels are on a week day!! :)

Thanks for response.
You’re right—heavier traffic than one might anticipate east of Baton Rouge. We do take 10 to 12 and back to 10 before Mississippi. I think most do to bypass NOLA.

I just remember the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge over the MS River being quite the bear at almost any time of day.

On our last trip, leaving early served us well. We were over the Baton Rouge Bridge after 5, then stopped in Covington at 7am for breakfast, then made it into Mississippi shortly after 8.

We are figuring that the best way to get through early is to stay east of Breaux Bridge that night.

We stay at a KOA in Denham Springs - easy in & out. You do drive thru Baton Rogue take I-12. You will be by Sam’s Club & Base Pro. I think the exit will be 100?

friendofeeyore, thank you for the recommendation.
We will need something West of Baton Rouge for this one so we can leave early in the morning and avoid the bridge during the day. Hoping for something in Breaux Bridge, or even Grosse Tete if they have anything.

I'll keep the KOA in Denham Springs in mind for the trip back, however. Thank you!

ETA: Just realized I asked for a campground EAST of Baton Rouge in my original post. OOPS!! I meant WEST. I just corrected it.
Again, thank you for the recommendation in Denham Springs.

friendofeeyore, thank you for the recommendation.
We will need something West of Baton Rouge for this one so we can leave early in the morning and avoid the bridge during the day. Hoping for something in Breaux Bridge, or even Grosse Tete if they have anything.

I'll keep the KOA in Denham Springs in mind for the trip back, however. Thank you!

ETA: Just realized I asked for a campground EAST of Baton Rouge in my original post. OOPS!! I meant WEST. I just corrected it.
Again, thank you for the recommendation in Denham Springs.

You could stay at Cajun Palms in Henderson, La. Its a couple miles before the basin bridge. about 30 minutes from the Baton Rouge Mississippi River Bridge.

Frenchman's Wilderness - Its east of Henderson, LA and west of Baton Rouge, LA.

I would Look at staying at Reunion Lake Rv resort. Its Right on I-12. Beautiful all concrete park. Brand new everything. Has a RV friendly Exxon fuel station and a Sonic that connected to the park. Easy on and Off I-12.

Selliot82, it's okay. I initially (and mistakenly) said east in my original post, then changed it when I saw my error.

I ended up booking one. Now ready for Disney!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter