Outrageous pricing

Jedi Crim

Earning My Ears
I am booking my vacation for my daughter and myself staying at all star movies with the ddp and tickets for 4 days we are looking at like 2000 not including flights. How do people afford to spend 700$ a night to stay at one of the nicer resorts! Is there a secret I'm missing out on?

We like to stay Deluxe and started staying Club Level last year. The way we can afford it is 15 years of no vacation at all and pouring everything into my business. I just finally decided that if we are going to work hard, we are going to reward ourselves. Yes Disney is expensive but I have found that staying Club Level is actually less expensive than staying moderate and sometimes value. Look at it this way. We are a family of 4 and each meal is around $100 at Disney. We are booked CL this April at AKL. We are passholders so a standard room, savanna view bunk bed is $591.00. Same room Club level is $645.00 so for $54.00 more we get breakfast and dinner every day which comes to $6.75 each for each meal. Me and my wife also like beer and CL guest get all you want included in the price. Not to mention unlimited soft drinks and snacks that we always take to our room and even take snacks to the parks. We spent a little more than twice what your spending but we are twice the people staying twice as long.

Last edited:
My DH and I are staying 3 nights at BC and are taking advantage of a room discount. If a nicer room is something you’re interested in, if you’re staying during the period when they are now offering the room discounts you can do that instead of dining plan- and then just pay out of pocket for your meals. Some of the “nicer” options come with some sort of kitchen options (ie Villas). You can have some meals in your room and not have to eat out as much. We do this sometimes- thus you pay more for your room, but less for meals.

We like to stay Deluxe and started staying Club Level last year. The way we can afford it is 15 years of no vacation at all and pouring everything into my business. I just finally decided that if we are going to work hard, we are going to reward ourselves. Yes Disney is expensive but I have found that staying Club Level is actually less expensive than staying moderate and sometimes value. Look at it this way. We are a family of 4 and each meal is around $100 at Disney. We are booked CL this April at AKL. We are passholders so a standard room, savanna view bunk bed is $591.00. Same room Club level is $645.00 so for $54.00 more we get breakfast and dinner every day which comes to $6.75 each for each meal. Me and my wife also like beer and CL guest get all you want included in the price. Not to mention unlimited soft drinks and snacks that we always take to our room and even take snacks to the parks. We spent a little more than twice what your spending but we are twice the people staying twice as long.

But not apples to apples right? Because you already have season passes and the OP is calculating tickets in her calculations? My sister and her family did club level at a Disneyland hotel last year and loved it! I am learning something new!

But not apples to apples right? Because you already have season passes and the OP is calculating tickets in her calculations? My sister and her family did club level at a Disneyland hotel last year and loved it! I am learning something new!
You are correct. I wasn't thinking about the AP

I will echo what other posters said: room, tickets, and the dining plan for $2K sounds like a great deal. My husband and I go as a twosome and we spend significantly more than that due to our vacation style. With that said, I understand that hearing “great deal” doesn’t necessarily change how you feel.

I would say you could probably reduce your costs even more if you went without the dining plan and paid for food out of pocket. I don’t know if you’d consider that.

OP, the 'package deal' through Disney usually isn't the best deal. We go annually. We pay for a room only from Disney, pay OOP for meals and get our tickets for a discount from a reseller like undercover tourist. We pay for the room and all meals & souvenirs at Disney with discounted gift cards.

I will say that your price you are paying doesn't sound bad at all! As others have stated, disney is not cheap, but you might could do a bit better.

DH and I struggle with this regularly! We go yearly and every year I think to myself, “This will be the year we do moderate or maybe even spring for a deluxe to celebrate (birthday, anniversary, etc),” but every time I think that I add up the costs and decide that although we can afford it, I just can’t make myself do it. For instance, we are planning an August trip and I booked Movies for $100/night with Orbitz and am going with the Magic Select tickets w/waterpark with Undercover tourist. 2 adults, 2 kids, and an infant. The total came to $2300 and we will probably spend about $500 on food. We fly southwest and usually bring a suitcase of snacks, breakfast foods, etc. I also contacted a travel agent and she could get us Coronado springs, 5 day base tickets and a water park for around $2800. Most people would jump on the $2800 but we haven’t decided yet bc then we still have to tack on food. Eventually we will have to move to a moderate when the baby turns 3, but right now for us personally, I don’t think we would get any more enjoyment out of movies vs Coronado springs for the difference. But as others have posted, some love club level, others are commandos and don’t care and the majority fall in the middle.

We have talked about only going every other year and spending a bit more for more park days, nicer room, etc but we have an “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it” mentality. So for us, the cheapest we can go while still enjoying ourselves is what we do!

I think that the original question in my post was not communicated properly or just not understood in the way that I meant it.

I know that the $2000 pricing I have is good, I was more curious about the $700 a night AK or other rooms and how people afford that ontop of tickets and dining (oop or ddp).

I'm successful in my job and make just shy of 6 figures but I still couldn't afford $700 a night. It just seems unreal.

My parents earn about AU$2000 in a day .Sometimes more. They are doctors but not surgeons. Yes literally. More without tax. They are doctors. I am sorry that it has not fallen your way. They literally earn what I earn in a week in one day. Disney World at the Four Seasons was the cheapest hotel we stayed at. During our three week East Coast Vacation. I am not saying this to boast.Life can be horrible.

The thing is that the market determines pricing. Disney has a lot of resorts in Orlando. But its not the only supplier. Literally they have saturated the market. 7Ps from marketing come to mind
But I am sick of these questions. I see them all the time. I hate these attacks I guess.

Most Luxury Properties are more expensive then that even in Asia!

Last edited:
I think that the original question in my post was not communicated properly or just not understood in the way that I meant it.

I know that the $2000 pricing I have is good, I was more curious about the $700 a night AK or other rooms and how people afford that ontop of tickets and dining (oop or ddp).

I'm successful in my job and make just shy of 6 figures but I still couldn't afford $700 a night. It just seems unreal.

There are a couple of ways to significantly reduce the cost of rooms, food, and tickets.

Rooms
I would never pay “rack rate” for a Deluxe resort. Thanks to this thread, I have been able to book deluxe rooms at up to 65% off. You mentioned AKLodge for $700/night. How does $165/night for AKLodge sound?!!! Value resorts can also be found for as little as $45/night. Availability varies depending on travel dates. And it’s not for the faint of heart due to the fact that the lowest priced Express Deals are non refundable and the hotel is revealed only after you’ve paid for it.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/priceline-express-deals.3598657/

If Priceline isn’t your cup of tea, there are some travel agencies that offer fairly good room and/or package discounts. I find this depends heavily on travel dates as well. You didn’t mention your travel dates. Labor Day deals, for example, can be found if you look for them.

Food
I find that the dining plans offer a savings only in the rarest of circumstances. For children 10 and older, the plans are far too expensive IMO. Instead, we “collect” Disney GCs at a discounted rate and use those to pay for food out of pocket. GCs can also be used to buy park tickets.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-gift-card-deals.2941964/

Also, buying an Annual Pass for at least one member of your family can sometimes translate into savings as well. Of course, the up-front cost of the AP is considerably more than a 4-day ticket, but the future savings an AP offers can add up to a net discount in the end.

•If you plan to have a car, the free theme park parking will save you $25/day.

•If you plan to buy Memory Maker anyway, it’s free with an AP. That’s a savings of $169.

•10% discount on merchandise and most Table Service restaurants for AP holders. The dining discount applies to the total bill for everyone’s meal at the table. Not just the AP holder.

•If booking an opaque Express Deal on Priceline seems too risky for you, AP holders also get discounts on rooms at Disney resorts. The savings aren’t always the best deal Disney is offering and they can vary depending on your travel dates.

Last edited:
The great thing about WDW is even the value resorts are full of Disney magic. The cast members make everyone feel like they are home again & you can see the joy every guest is feeling just by being in WDW. You will get the feeling of being inside the “Disney bubble” no matter what resort you stay in. I barely spend any time at the hotel so I’m all about the value resorts & then I pour my savings there into things like tours and a steady stream of Mickey-shaped snacks :D

My parents earn about AU$2000 in a day .Sometimes more. They are doctors but not surgeons. Yes literally. More without tax. They are doctors. I am sorry that it has not fallen your way. They literally earn what I earn in a week in one day. Disney World at the Four Seasons was the cheapest hotel we stayed at. During our three week East Coast Vacation. I am not saying this to boast.Life can be horrible.

The thing is that the market determines pricing. Disney has a lot of resorts in Orlando. But its not the only supplier. Literally they have saturated the market. 7Ps from marketing come to mind
But I am sick of these questions. I see them all the time. I hate these attacks I guess.

Most Luxury Properties are more expensive then that even in Asia!

Then why are you saying it? I'm struggling to see any point other than boasting.

And, what attack?

Because I am sick of this question. Sick of it! Its like my parents should be ashamed of themselves. They are getting hanged by the DISBOARDS.

How is asking "How do people afford to spend 700$ a night to stay at one of the nicer resorts! Is there a secret I'm missing out on?" attacking? Or "hanging" your parents?

Apparently, for you, the answer to the OP's question is "have rich parents". Fair enough answer. Given that pretty much everyone of your posts on the DIS discusses your parents' income and/or your love of luxury hotels, we all could have figured out that answer.

OP - PP's have given helpful advice about some secrets that you might be missing. Personally, I'd never pay rack rate for WDW deluxes. We've rented points, which worked well, waited for deals, and stayed off site (actually at Four Seasons). But, vacations, are one of my big expenses. I tend to generally live below my means but do splurge on vacations (not Disney specifically, just generally). But that's what works for me (and may work for others) but not might work for you.

IMHO, the very last sentence of the the first post is what this thread is all about.

“Is there a secret I’m missing out on?”

Nothing more. I fail to see how OP and subsequent posters were judging, much less attacking anyone.

@Jedi Crim , welcome to the Dis! I hope you find helpful tips in this thread! Also, please don’t let negative comments deter you from posting more. I’m confident this thread will help not only you, but many other deal-seekers who read it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter