'Out' on Disney+, Pixar SparkShorts

Luxurious_Lumiere

Mouseketeer
I was surprised not to see any coverage of the new Disney+ Sparkshort "Out" on this site. So I thought I'd post here to see what my fellow LGBTQ forum users thought of it!

I think it is the perfect use of Pixar's signature storytelling, with a welcome touch of magic. It's simply told and that lets the emotion shine through in a very resonant way. I admired that they finally told a queer story instead of shoehorning a minor gay character into the background somewhere and pretended it was groundbreaking. And lovely that the first of such stories is a very universal experience for queer people, and the short ultimately highlights the importance of family and love. I'm not sure what the name of this art style is, but the animation is reminiscent of the narrative video game "Firewatch" and I think it's beautiful.

Also, gotta love that there is a magical cosmic gay cat and dog that fly around listening to disco, helping out queer humans in need. haha!

Thoughts? What were your favorite moments?

I liked it. I think it is a step in the right direction for GLBTQ animated characters in DIsney/Pixar storytelling. The storyline was simple and sweet, after all it was a short, not much time to fully develop characters in depth.

I'm not sure what the name of this art style is, but the animation is reminiscent of the narrative video game "Firewatch" and I think it's beautiful.

The comparison to Firewatch's style is spot on, and now I can't unsee the similarities! They stop short at the faces, though. I don't remember ever seeing human faces in the game, but I probably would have been mildly freaked out if the camera panned out to reveal that everyone had stuffed doll dot eyeballs like in Out, haha. Not that it's not a cool style - just wouldn't have expected it.

I loved the short. Very sweet story, and also a heartwarming take on family love and support. <3

The comparison to Firewatch's style is spot on, and now I can't unsee the similarities! They stop short at the faces, though. I don't remember ever seeing human faces in the game, but I probably would have been mildly freaked out if the camera panned out to reveal that everyone had stuffed doll dot eyeballs like in Out, haha. Not that it's not a cool style - just wouldn't have expected it.

I loved the short. Very sweet story, and also a heartwarming take on family love and support. <3

I'm glad someone on here actually knew what Firewatch is! haha. I loved that game so much. And no I don't believe you see any of the characters' faces (though you perhaps see the main character's wife in a picture in his office...but my mind could just be filling in the gaps).

In any case, I appreciate when animation has a highly specific art style. Photorealism is impressive when it's pulled off, but there's something more charming and unique when the whole world looks like it was built with a paintbrush. I thought it added a great layer of warmth to the story.

I just watched this yesterday and it was so good. So simple, sweet and straightforward and I connected with the story on so many levels. I figured it was going to be an emotional story but I didn't expect it to hit so close to home. I've struggled with similar issues as the main character. I've been with my partner for 10 years and early in our relationship I had to hide him and all evidence of him when my parents came over. I've felt some amount of guilt as in the past, I actually made him go on a vacation to a different city when my parents were planning on staying at our house.

It was so cathartic to see on screen a story that helped connect me to others and to know that others experience similar things. As an Asian POC I felt the same way with the other Pixar short Bao which really spoke to such a specific and personal cultural experience that I really felt seen.

In these times, I struggle feeling this deepening sense of divisiveness in our country, especially towards foreigners and people of color however I'm so encouraged when I see rich, diverse depictions of people and stories in media that are directed not only to adults but kids and people of all ages.

Aside from the excitement of the queer story itself, my wife & I were so excited to spot Wheezy from Toy Story. That was an unexpected surprise. I’m so glad I didn’t read any spoilers b/c i loved experiencing everything about the short. Hopefully this is the start of a long line of beautiful queer stories. 💛

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts