Our Wonderful “Whale of a Good Time” 9 Night Alaskan Cruise! – May 2014 w/pics – Completed!

I finished reading your report. I couldn't stop! I think I found your TR Saturday evening. I loved all of your photos! I feel compelled to comment, but I don't know where to start. I will try my best.

One day we hope to have our family of 4 do a DCL Alaskan cruise. I admit, I love tropical weather... that's my idea of a cruise. My DH REALLY wants to go on one. I've been reading Alaskan TR's and now I'm tempted. We already have 2 short cruises booked for next year. We're thinking for 2016 we will either do our home resort Aulani or DVC cruise (hopefully they'll repeat Alaska like they are doing in 2015). By then, DD will be almost 9 and DS will be 5. I would just worry about the terrain and all the walking.

I loved your nature photos. You did such a great job explaining the background and I loved the images. I loved seeing the whales, seals, eagles, and especially the orcas. I loved seeing the beautiful scenery. The blue in the ice was especially amazing.

I had to show my DH about how yours went on that excursion of deadliest catch. He would TOTALLY do that!

I would also stay at the Pan Pacific and hopefully Wonder would embark and disembark at Canada Place.

Thanks again for sharing! :hippie:

I finished reading your report. I couldn't stop! I think I found your TR Saturday evening. I loved all of your photos! I feel compelled to comment, but I don't know where to start. I will try my best.

One day we hope to have our family of 4 do a DCL Alaskan cruise. I admit, I love tropical weather... that's my idea of a cruise. My DH REALLY wants to go on one. I've been reading Alaskan TR's and now I'm tempted. We already have 2 short cruises booked for next year. We're thinking for 2016 we will either do our home resort Aulani or DVC cruise (hopefully they'll repeat Alaska like they are doing in 2015). By then, DD will be almost 9 and DS will be 5. I would just worry about the terrain and all the walking.

I loved your nature photos. You did such a great job explaining the background and I loved the images. I loved seeing the whales, seals, eagles, and especially the orcas. I loved seeing the beautiful scenery. The blue in the ice was especially amazing.

I had to show my DH about how yours went on that excursion of deadliest catch. He would TOTALLY do that!

I would also stay at the Pan Pacific and hopefully Wonder would embark and disembark at Canada Place.

Thanks again for sharing! :hippie:

:flower3: Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed my report. I think you should give into your DH and go to Alaska, you won't regret it. I guess it depends on excursions you choose, but I think we spent more time on the water than we did walking. The walking wasn't bad because it was mostly on level ground. I think you're kids would get a kick out of Alaska. I know my 13 year old loved it!

I would go back to Vancouver again in a heartbeat. It was a great city and we only saw a very small part of it.

:goodvibes

Thank you so very much for taking the time to do this wonderful trip report. I have just started planning my daughter's post 8th grade trip (she's in 6th now), and I can't think of a more wonderful gift than this very cruise. I have relatives doing Alaska June 2015 on Princess, but after reading your trip I just don't think I could bring myself to not do Disney. I think I would miss my magic!

I will definitely be looking forward to your next TR. I've subbed to this thread, so I won't lose you! Thanks again, especially for sharing your photos. They are stunning! :goodvibes

Wow, you got to see such amazing wild life! This only cements my desire to cruise Alaska one day...I think it will be my DD 10th birthday gift!!:)

Thank you so very much for taking the time to do this wonderful trip report. I have just started planning my daughter's post 8th grade trip (she's in 6th now), and I can't think of a more wonderful gift than this very cruise. I have relatives doing Alaska June 2015 on Princess, but after reading your trip I just don't think I could bring myself to not do Disney. I think I would miss my magic!

I will definitely be looking forward to your next TR. I've subbed to this thread, so I won't lose you! Thanks again, especially for sharing your photos. They are stunning! :goodvibes

I am so happy you found my trip report. Your daughter will love Alaska. Mine did and wants to go back! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. Thanks for reading. :goodvibes

Wow, you got to see such amazing wild life! This only cements my desire to cruise Alaska one day...I think it will be my DD 10th birthday gift!!:)

Thanks for reading. I hope you get to go. It is so worth it! :)

Thanks so much for your awesome trip report....we are booked on the August 24, 2015 Alaskan cruise on the wonder and I was so happy to see all of your photos and read your story....cannot wait till we are there! We were thinking of booking at the pan pacific also...

Did you book direct with them or did you use Hotwire etc?

Thanks again for sharing your trip!

Thanks so much for your awesome trip report....we are booked on the August 24, 2015 Alaskan cruise on the wonder and I was so happy to see all of your photos and read your story....cannot wait till we are there! We were thinking of booking at the pan pacific also...

Did you book direct with them or did you use Hotwire etc?

Thanks again for sharing your trip!

Thanks for reading! :goodvibes

I actually booked directly with the Pan Pacific about 11 months out and got a AAA rate.

You'll love Alaska!

Thanks for reading! :goodvibes I actually booked directly with the Pan Pacific about 11 months out and got a AAA rate. You'll love Alaska!

Thanks...I know I will especially after reading your TR .... Pan pacific booking direct is $375 or more per night....worth it?

I also wanted to know what type of shoes did you wear for Alaska....waterproof? Wondering f I need to buy waterproof shoes so that I can break them in before we go..thanks

Thanks...I know I will especially after reading your TR .... Pan pacific booking direct is $375 or more per night....worth it?

It was really convenient staying there as it was close to everything and especially to the ship when you get on and off. The staff was very friendly, especially the bell service. I would keep trying to get a better rate. I was able to get it close to $200 USD all 3 nights we stayed there.

I guess you have to weigh in other factors as far as transportation and convenience to the port in deciding if $375 is worth it.

I'm really late to this party, but I just want to say what an awesome report. We are booked for our 1st cruise on the Dream in April and I'm thinking of booking a place holder cruise for Alaska while on board. We wouldn't cruise 'til either June or August of 2017 because we have some other trips in the works, but I will definately be using your TR as a guide. Thank you for all your hard work.

I know DD will want to do a helicopter and sled dog excursion, so I need to find some info on that.

Question - clothing. A little bit of everything? Definately a raincoat. What about shoes? Bean boots maybe so they are waterproof?

Happy Holidays and again, thanks for an awesome report.

We are booked for our 1st cruise on the Dream in April and I'm thinking of booking a place holder cruise for Alaska while on board. We wouldn't cruise 'til either June or August of 2017 because we have some other trips in the works, but I will definately be using your TR as a guide.

Hi there! We are on the same April 4 nighter coming up. April will be here before we know it! Keep in mind that when you rebook onboard, you must sail within 24 months to keep your onboard benefits. So, summer 2017 will be too far out unfortunately. Maybe you could do summer, 2016??? Its so nice to get that 10% off and also the stateroom credit.

We are sailing Alaska this coming summer, and I can't wait!!

Jodie

Hi there! We are on the same April 4 nighter coming up. April will be here before we know it! Keep in mind that when you rebook onboard, you must sail within 24 months to keep your onboard benefits. So, summer 2017 will be too far out unfortunately. Maybe you could do summer, 2016??? Its so nice to get that 10% off and also the stateroom credit.

We are sailing Alaska this coming summer, and I can't wait!!

Jodie

UGH! You're right! I didn't even do the math. Hmmmmm. Wonder when August 2016 dates will be released......

UGH! You're right! I didn't even do the math. Hmmmmm. Wonder when August 2016 dates will be released......

Probably January or February. I'm sure the speculation threads will start soon, so I would just watch these boards. Book through Costco if you can (if you rebook onboard, just name them as your travel agent). They give you a huge rebate (7% or so) after the cruise is over. Its more than worth their $55 membership fee. We've saved a ton of money doing that. Good luck!

Jodie

My DH and and were on this cruise too. It was so awesome to see all of your pictures and compare to ours. You got some amazing shots of whales. I loved seeing the pictures of the other activities and excursions.
Have to agree this was best cruise so far. Loved, loved loved seeing all the nature from the balcony.
A bit of advice 1. Alaska is not a tropical destination. Pack like you would for a thanksgiving trip to Wisconsin. Jackets,hats,scarves. Gloves if your hands get cold easily or if you're constantly holding a camera. 2. It is cold and windy out on decks go after pictures. I found a small handbag to carry Chapstick small hairbrush and tissues to be very helpful.3. Go it was amazing. amazing did I mention AMAZING !!!

I'm really late to this party, but I just want to say what an awesome report. We are booked for our 1st cruise on the Dream in April and I'm thinking of booking a place holder cruise for Alaska while on board. We wouldn't cruise 'til either June or August of 2017 because we have some other trips in the works, but I will definately be using your TR as a guide. Thank you for all your hard work.

I know DD will want to do a helicopter and sled dog excursion, so I need to find some info on that.

Question - clothing. A little bit of everything? Definately a raincoat. What about shoes? Bean boots maybe so they are waterproof?

Happy Holidays and again, thanks for an awesome report.

Thanks for reading. :) The secret of dressing for an Alaskan cruise is layering. I usually had a long sleeve t-shirt, a fleece jacket and a wind-breaker/rain jacket. I could add or take off as needed. I needed all 3 layers on our train ride in Skagway. I wore waterproof hiking shoes from Columbia but would have been fine with just tennis shoes for the excursions we did. Walking on glaciers might require more waterproof shoes. ;)

My DH and and were on this cruise too. It was so awesome to see all of your pictures and compare to ours. You got some amazing shots of whales. I loved seeing the pictures of the other activities and excursions.
Have to agree this was best cruise so far. Loved, loved loved seeing all the nature from the balcony.
A bit of advice 1. Alaska is not a tropical destination. Pack like you would for a thanksgiving trip to Wisconsin. Jackets,hats,scarves. Gloves if your hands get cold easily or if you're constantly holding a camera. 2. It is cold and windy out on decks go after pictures. I found a small handbag to carry Chapstick small hairbrush and tissues to be very helpful.3. Go it was amazing. amazing did I mention AMAZING !!!

I totally agree. . AMAZING!!!!!

Thanks for reading!

I've only just started your report (late comer!) but I am LOVING it so far - your pictures are gorgeous by the way! It's making me really want to see Canada and Alaska! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!