Our one day at Shanghai DL

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
My daughter & I returned on Monday from a 10 day trip to China starting in Beijing, ending in Shanghai. This was a group tour so the only day we had free was our last day in Shanghai, had a midnight flight home. I bought the tickets on Klook with no problems, we got there around opening and she scanned the code from Klook and our passports and issued us tickets. I'm not going into a lengthy play-by-play of the day, but will highlight what we did in no particular order. It must have been a very light day (a Sunday) because we did everything we wanted and left the park around 8. We used FP once we got inside the park and were able to get 3 throughout the day, although the one for Tron wasn't really needed. This is what we were able to accomplish in around 11 hours.

Tron x2
Pirates x2
Soaring (yes there's a g lol) with fp
7DMT with fp
Peter Pan
Slinky Dog Spin
Buzz Lightyear
Voyage to Crystal Grotto

We also watched the parade, had lunch at Barbarosa's Bounty, dinner at Cheesecake Factory (after 10 days of Chinese food it was a welcome break!). We looked at the Alice maze which was awesome, but didn't feel like going through it. We didn't meet any characters, would have liked to have met Mickey, but that line was consistently long.

I was really impressed with the park, it's big, but we walked & criss-crossed a lot without getting too tired. Plenty of restrooms which were very clean, they all had both squat as well as western toilets. The food was good, in addition to lunch we also got ice cream and caramel corn inside the park.

I did notice it was mostly families with younger children, like 8 and under. Not very many teens at all other than a school group we would run across. We saw a few groups of teen girls that were very dressed up, but it seemed like they were there mainly to take photos and not ride any rides, etc. There was very little shoving or crowding, I was expecting it to be much worse, but again, I think the attendance was very low that day. We ran into a few other American families there, but we were definitely the minorities. We realized just how run down a few of the attractions (Buzz) at WDW are compared to such a new park. Our favorites were Pirates (just WOW) and Tron. All day there was only a 10 min. wait for Tron, again I think because most people were there with small children who couldn't ride it.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if I can! I am glad we went, the cost was under $82 pp and would have been around $55 on a weekday through Klook, but I wouldn't plan a trip to Shanghai just to go there. We felt "something" was missing, just that feeling we get at WDW, I do wish they had a people mover or a railroad, something to sit and rest a bit but still be moving.

eta: not a single scooter in sight, not sure if they don't have them or if they're not needed?

Last edited:
I'm so happy to read your review! We have a last minute unexpected trip to visit a university for my senior son and have an extra day in Shanghai, so I was thinking about trying to go as a birthday surprise for him! We will be there on a Sunday (April 28th) and so maybe the lines will be the same for us!! Did you use cash at the restaurants or did they take cards? Thanks so much!

I used my card at the restaurants, but cash at the snack kiosks. The stores all take cards as well. I was able to withdraw cash in China with no problem. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter