Our friends bailed on our Disney Trip.. now what?

jliucci

Mouseketeer
My best friend and I (and our husbands) planned to take our kids on their first Disney World vacation together this November. Both of our kids would be 2 & 2.5 at the time so we figured they would have fun together. We just found out this weekend that they are bailing on us. They want to do Vegas instead (lame lol o_O) I am a huge Disney fan so we are obviously still going.. but I have never been with a little one before. My question is.. if we don't find another couple or anyone to go with what do you parents do about rides? Can someone explain the child swap? Or do you just not go on any rides your child is to small for? The last time I went to Disney I was pregnant so I missed a lot of the rides then too, and I was really looking forward to the new rides in Animal Kingdom. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That is a great age to take your kid! Rider swap is your friend -- use it in a big way! Also, look into getting a sitter one night on your trip so you and DH can enjoy a date night as well. There's lots of great info on these forums. Your friends are going to miss out!

When we went with our oldest she was 15 months. I had plans to do the rider swap but..that all changed when we got there.

I had been many times before and I knew it would not be my last time going. It was the first time since my first trip in 1975 that I did not ride space mountain . I got over it!

We had a great time, even though I missed some of the rides, I really didn’t miss them that much because it was all about our daughter and she loved the characters, well not the face characters. The next time we went I was pregnant with our 3rd so yep, I missed some of the rides again but again I didn’t care. That trip my parents came so I sent my DH with my dad to ride test track.

So even if you don’t do the rider swap, there is still so much you can do and enjoy and see Disney thru your daughters eyes.

When we only had one kid we would usually use one FP to take advantage of RS. For instance, we will use one person's FP for Mine train and the other person's for SM. Then use rider switch so we can both ride. Then we will use the other FPs to take advantage of things our child would like. It is also easier to get a 4th for one person too. You might have luck getting that ToT or Soarin FP for one person as a fourth. We would also use single rider line for EE and TT. One afternoon at AK we each must have ridden EE 5-6 times each while our daughter slept in the stroller using the single rider line. We could have kept going, but we decided that was enough and went to get a snack.

It isn't as much fun to ride alone, but it is still fun. Now we have three kids so we have people to ride with us even when using RS. :)

I took my 3yo in November, and only rode what he could ride. I grew up in Anaheim going to DL, and visit the local Six Flags annually, so the WDW trip was all about my son and his experiences. We're going back at the end of the year, and again doing only what he is tall enough and brave enough for. He'll be 40+" by then, so we won't miss out on much.

My upcoming trip is the first trip I will be using rider swap for, as I will have a 1 year old. However, in the past, my one child was too short for some of the rides that her older sister could go on. One of us (parents) would take one on a taller ride and do something else with the shorter kid. I vote use rider swap, as long as one of you (adults) are comfortable riding by yourself. And while one is riding, the other one can do something with the little one. Last time we went, we went for the Halloween party. The day of, I discovered I was pregnant, so I didn't ride any of my favorite rides. That was a bummer. So definitely have your fun! :)

Kboo- The idea of pixie dusting the extra seats is a great idea! I will take that into consideration!

My upcoming trip is the first trip I will be using rider swap for, as I will have a 1 year old. However, in the past, my one child was too short for some of the rides that her older sister could go on. One of us (parents) would take one on a taller ride and do something else with the shorter kid. I vote use rider swap, as long as one of you (adults) are comfortable riding by yourself. And while one is riding, the other one can do something with the little one. Last time we went, we went for the Halloween party. The day of, I discovered I was pregnant, so I didn't ride any of my favorite rides. That was a bummer. So definitely have your fun! :)

Kboo- The idea of pixie dusting the extra seats is a great idea! I will take that into consideration!

We usually looked for kids around my daughter's age (6) or slightly older kids who are willing to ride alone. I like to think (I hope) that they will remember that time as a little Disney magic and pay it forward. And that it offsets some of the grumpiness people report in the parks... :)

When we went with our oldest she was 15 months. I had plans to do the rider swap but..that all changed when we got there.

I had been many times before and I knew it would not be my last time going. It was the first time since my first trip in 1975 that I did not ride space mountain . I got over it!

We had a great time, even though I missed some of the rides, I really didn’t miss them that much because it was all about our daughter and she loved the characters, well not the face characters. The next time we went I was pregnant with our 3rd so yep, I missed some of the rides again but again I didn’t care. That trip my parents came so I sent my DH with my dad to ride test track.

So even if you don’t do the rider swap, there is still so much you can do and enjoy and see Disney thru your daughters eyes.
^ This! My kids have been going since they were 3 weeks old (long story, we had been planning to wait to take them..). Each trip was so different based on their ages. I could see if WDW was a one time thing, but otherwise just adapt. I don't know why but we never used rider swap, if I could go back I would have a few times. I would enjoy the trip more with my own family rather than with another family anyway.

Enjoy the trip. You will have a much greater time in Disney with your children. Vegas is a great destination, but it is not a trip you take with small children (or any children for that matter).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!