Our first trip to Disneyland, plus 4 nights on the Wonder - April 2024

Day 5, cont.
We headed to Galaxy's Edge and it was sort of an odd feeling. I guess I am just used to it NOT being at Magic Kingdom so I was trying to get my bearings. It was pretty empty (minus the giant line for Rise) so we walked on to Millenium Falcon. A lovely Australian family ended up with us and offered to take a photo.
IMG_9197.jpg

And when we got off another person offered to take our pic in Galaxy's Edge and got some AMAZING shots. They should have been a park photographer. Made up for the crap photo from DCA, haha.
IMG_9200.jpg
I remember at this point in the day being a little confused about what to get an LL for because they were starting to come back with far-out times. Space was down all morning. We had decided to buy the fancy pass for Rise but sadly that wasn't for a while. It was time to walk over to Big Thunder and the park was getting more "peoplely" by the minute. We got in line but the ride broke down while we were waiting. We had already scanned in for our LL time but they didn't offer us anything when we walked out. People were pretty confused and wondering if we would get an anytime LL in the app but the workers said they didn't know.

I was bummed because we really wanted to ride Thunder and I knew we wouldn't be able to since our app thought we already had. So I talked to guest services via the chat feature in the app and they promptly issued us one. That was handy!

Tummies were rumbly and Jason had wanted to try Red Rose but the girls and I really wanted to head back to Jolly Holiday for more macaroons, macarons, and those breakfast croissants. So that's where we headed.
IMG_9205.jpg
I love this table! Perfect people-watching!

What happened next will end up being our favorite memory of the time at DL. We all ate at Jolly Holiday. It was delish. I had a chocolate chip croissant and their delicious hot cocoa. I would just about give my right arm for that meal right now. After eating our treats we were still hungry and not in a hurry to get up. So I mentioned the meat sticks at Bengal Barbecue. It sounded good to all of us, so I mobile ordered 4 and headed to get them while the family waited at our table. We tried the chicken, beef, and pork belly.

Yall, they were SO GOOD. We must have really been hungry because I didn't take a picture of our order (although they are not pretty to look at!) We loved them all so much that we said...let's get another round. And we did just that!
IMG_9206.jpg
I wish I could stay we stopped there. But we didn't. We all said we could eat more so I went back a THIRD TIME. I am a little embarrassed. To be fair, they aren't huge portions. But we laughed so hard with delight every time I would bring them back to the table!

I am just sorely disappointed that I didn't realize Maurice's Treats were so close because I really wanted to try them with the garlic pretzel bread. I ran out of stomach room and never did get to eat that pretzel bread, which was the number one thing on my list to try. MUST RETURN TO DL! 🤤 Even today if I ask Scarlett what her favorite thing about Disneyland is she will answer, "meat skewers!" without hesitation.

IMG_9213.jpg

My friend had told me walking up in the castle was her favorite thing to do, so we headed that way. Problem was, we couldn't figure out where to enter!
IMG_9221.jpg

I began to wonder if I was confused on the tip but we finally found it. Loved the detail inside, especially since Scarlett had a love affair with Maleficent as a child. We even sent her an invitation to Scarlett's party. The girl who dressed up had worked at WDW and she never broke character. Some kids even cried. But not Scarlett. She LOVED every second if it.
IMG_1527.JPG
THIS is how she dressed up as a child...
IMG_5143.jpg

I know we ventured back to do Rise. I do like this ride, but it is not worth the extra money for me anymore.

The park really got full around noon. I took this pic because it was people as far as I could see.
IMG_9234.jpg
Not wanting to navigate the crowds, we decided to head back to the room.

On our way out we stopped at Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and I adored the Disneyland Story exhibits. I could have spent an hour there!
IMG_6013.jpg
The bench!

IMG_6017.jpg
Some of us enjoyed the show...

...but soon we would all be napping in the hotel!

I love your enthusiasm. I do have a trip report from last April and didn't finish it until at least Christmas. The link should be in my signature.

You had a great morning. You got a lot done before the full opening of the park. I haven't figured that out yet.

I need to try these meat skewers. They sound good.

I love your enthusiasm. I do have a trip report from last April and didn't finish it until at least Christmas. The link should be in my signature.

You had a great morning. You got a lot done before the full opening of the park. I haven't figured that out yet.

I need to try these meat skewers. They sound good.
Off to check out your report! Yes, you must try the meat skewers. If I shared a picture it wouldn't do them justice and just reading about them also doesn't make them sound as delicious as they were!

Day 5, cont.
Took these on our way out, look at that pretty blue sky.
IMG_9247.jpg

IMG_9259.jpg

Love to catch a moment like this!
IMG_9255.jpg
Neither of my girls are too big to hold their Daddy's hand. He is the best Dad. Fun and silly but also very loving and non-judgy. They are both close to him.

We went back to the hotel and took a delicious Disney nap. I wanted to see the parade but we had missed it previously. But I didn't want to set an alarm for it, either. So I said if we woke up in time, that would be perfect.

And we did!
IMG_9268.jpg
This is Jason waving to the crowds waiting on the parade. He couldn't believe they all waited for his return!

IMG_9274.jpg

The good spaces were pretty much full but I asked a cast member in Plaid where the parade route would be (just wanting to get an idea) and he directed us to a PERFECT corner spot that was unoccupied. Shout out to him!

We saw the floats coming down from Main Street right before they turned into Tomorrowland.
IMG_9283.jpg

I don't LOVE parades because I hate standing in the sun waiting forever just to have a good spot. But this worked out perfectly! I don't have a photo but a tiny princess straight from Bippity Boppity was in front of us and we all loved watching the characters interact with her. Several waved and made faces at us, too. So that was cute! Overall this parade was awesome! I loved the songs and the characters they had. I may have to even watch it on Youtube again, it was that good.
IMG_9289.JPG

I think I had snagged another couple LL for DCA, because my next photos are from there!
IMG_9301.JPG
IMG_9303.JPG

But then I have this picture so I don't remember what we did!
IMG_9308.jpg

We had an ADR for Carnation Cafe and it was delicious. I got the club and split it with Lilli, she got the chicken fried chicken and split it with me. Jason LOVED the potato soup. So we were all pretty happy!

Day 5, cont
Back at Disneyland, I know we finally rode Big Thunder Mountain using the anytime pass I had gotten earlier that morning. The sky was looking so pretty so we stopped in line for some family photos. It was daylight when we got in line, but dusk by the time we stepped up. I think they turned out so good!

I took this one:
IMG_9312.jpg

IMG_9314.JPG
IMG_9315.JPG
IMG_9313.JPG

So that made me happy! I think this is when we did the Storybook Circus canal boats because I thought they would be cute. Turns out we waited forever for a dark ride. Except it was NOT a dark ride, it was just a ride in the dark. We could barely see anything! Oh well, it made for a good chuckle.

We grabbed the Grey Stuff and more hot cocoa at The Red Rose Tavern (super cute, we had wanted to try it earlier that morning, remember?)
IMG_9317.jpg

And tried to go find a place to watch the fireworks. Well, they corral people so much when it gets close to show time that we finally had to just stop and stand somewhere. It was fine, I wasn't too bummed. But we were directly behind this popcorn stand!
IMG_9323.jpg
Maybe THAT is what I really need to watch on YouTube because I didn't see much of the show! I did turn around and watch some of the projections on Main Street. They were cool. We hung back by the popcorn stand while the crowds exited the park. We have learned the hard way NOT to get in that mass of people unless we absolutely have to. Last year at WDW it was like a mosh pit!

Jason had wanted to do the submarines and it was finally time to go check them out.
IMG_9326.jpg
We were all hilariously underwhelmed (Jason expected real fish, I hate being in cramped space underwater so I was not a fan) but at least we can say we did it. Maybe it was also better during the daytime? No idea. But with that, it was time to head out of the park.

We did the obligatory stop in the candy store and stocked up on some goodies including churro toffee (didn't eat that until we got home and holy smokes what do they lace that with!? SO GOOD!)

We were so sad to leave but so tired and knew we had a big day ahead.
IMG_6031.jpg

So long, Disneyland! I can't wait to see you again!

Lilli officially tested positive for Covid on Monday night

How did I miss all these updates?! I swear the DIS is not good at notifying me half the time…

First, oh no! I’m so sorry that Lilli got COVID and that you got sick is well. It’s never fun to be sick! (This from someone who’s been sick or who’s taken care of someone in our house that’s been sick since practically January… :sad2: )

We sat downstairs, sadly not at the Up table but I still snapped a photo of the pieces.

The Lamplight Lounge looks so fun! I love the Up table, but my daughter would be pretty excited by the Incredibles table as well. I’m sorry your food and drinks were just okay, but I’m glad the surroundings somewhat made up for it.

Well...we went to pick up the art and imagine our surprise when we saw our last name had IRON MAN as a letter! We all laughed so hard! I don't know if the artist was listening to the whole thing or if he just got confused but we didn't care, it was perfect. Jason got his Iron Man after all!

That’s awesome! It was meant to be!

That is the problem with these boards...you learn too much. You know tricks and you want to maximize your experience.

Yes, I sometimes think all our knowledge bites us in the butt. We wouldn’t know what we’re missing half the time if we didn’t learn so many things. :laughing:

I’m sorry you couldn’t enjoy the early part of your evening - I know exactly the feeling of trying to squeezing it all in at the expense of enjoyment. But…

I had avoided spoilers of WOC and I was so glad to be surprised. You know I cried. It was beautiful!

YAY! I’m glad they held your table (it looked like a great one!) and that you loved World of Color. I’ve heard nothing but great things.

Also, I think you and I would get along well - I cry at everything. It drives my husband crazy! :laughing:

The best part - we headed back to Cars Land and had it with FAR LESS PEOPLE! So I was able to enjoy it after all!

Another yay! Carsland looks amazing and especially fun at night. I’m glad you had a chance to get back there!

But one day in my life I want to rope drop and just walk slowly to enjoy it without all the people. No clue if that will ever happen, because usually I choose sleep or rides!

The most relaxed I’ve ever been on a trip was in 2016 when I toured the parks mostly solo. (My mom came along, but she only joined me for dinners and a few other meals both in and out of the parks.) I still got to the parks first-thing but I did a lot more meandering and had much looser plans. I also took a midday break at the pool most days! I still rode a ton and ate many meals and snacks, but my overall vibe was much more chill (which I am not). I hope you get a chance for a slow walk up Main Street someday!

This ride was a TRIP!

I rode Mr. Toad’s years ago when it was still at WDW. I do not remember it so I’d love to ride it again at Disneyland!

Even today if I ask Scarlett what her favorite thing about Disneyland is she will answer, "meat skewers!" without hesitation.

:rotfl:

I really appreciate your trip report and all your food recommendations. I have a friend who’s going to Disneyland for one day with her family and I’m trying to pass along tips. I’ll be sure to recommend many of the places you enjoyed. :goodvibes

We headed to Galaxy's Edge and it was sort of an odd feeling. I guess I am just used to it NOT being at Magic Kingdom so I was trying to get my bearings. It was pretty empty (minus the giant line for Rise
It is a werid feeling that it is in magic kingdom. We didn't really priotize it since we knew it was the same as World. But we did go in to check it out.

Big Thunder and the park was getting more "peoplely" by the minute. We got in line but the ride broke down while we were waiting. We had already scanned in for our LL time but they didn't offer us anything when we walked out. People were pretty confused and wondering if we would get an anytime LL in the app but the workers said they didn't know.
Oh no! I feel bad for CM sometimes, it is confusing even for them!

I was bummed because we really wanted to ride Thunder and I knew we wouldn't be able to since our app thought we already had. So I talked to guest services via the chat feature in the app and they promptly issued us one. That was handy!
YEAH!!! Big Thunder Mountain was a must do for us too, and it came back up on our last day from refurb. But it wasn't up in the morning and I was worried we weren't going to get to ride. Thankfully we squeezed it in!

I wish I could stay we stopped there. But we didn't. We all said we could eat more so I went back a THIRD TIME. I am a little embarrassed. To be fair, they aren't huge portions. But we laughed so hard with delight every time I would bring them back to the table!
Ha!! We had those Skewers and they are NOT big, so I def won't judge you. We ordered some to share and wished we had ordered more due to the size. But we had also eaten the beef birra grilled cheese as well, so we didn't get more.

I am just sorely disappointed that I didn't realize Maurice's Treats were so close because I really wanted to try them with the garlic pretzel bread
We tried to get that and every time we went over it wasn't open!

IMG_9255.jpg

Neither of my girls are too big to hold their Daddy's hand. H
Love it!

This is Jason waving to the crowds waiting on the parade. He couldn't believe they all waited for his return!
Hilarious! This is something Andy would do just to embarass the girls.

So that made me happy! I think this is when we did the Storybook Circus canal boats because I thought they would be cute. Turns out we waited forever for a dark ride. Except it was NOT a dark ride, it was just a ride in the dark. We could barely see anything! Oh well, it made for a good chuckle.
Ha! Storybook Canal Boats is one of my favorites from Disneyland! It is so old school! But I can see how at night it wouldn't be as fun. It's def not a show stopper by any means but adorable.

e were all hilariously underwhelmed (Jason expected real fish, I hate being in cramped space underwater so I was not a fan) but at least we can say we did it. Maybe it was also better during the daytime? No idea. But with that, it was time to head out of the park.
I am suprised it's still there! It is such a low capacity and I don't think it is a must do for many people.

e did the obligatory stop in the candy store and stocked up on some goodies including churro toffee (didn't eat that until we got home and holy smokes what do they lace that with!? SO GOOD!)
I totally forgot about the churro toffee!!!! It was so good! Now I am dreaming about it!!!

All of your posts are making me want to go to Disneyland again!!! Are you going to post about the cruise as well? Maybe I can just steal your vacation for our next trip! ha.

We tried to get that and every time we went over it wasn't open!
Ok, I am going to tell myself that it would have been closed at the time I wanted it. Makes me feel better!

All of your posts are making me want to go to Disneyland again!!! Are you going to post about the cruise as well? Maybe I can just steal your vacation for our next trip! ha.
Yes! Coming up next! If you go, can I tag along and go again?

Day 6
IMG_8461.PNG

As sad as we were to check out of the DLH, we had the next leg of the trip to look forward to!
IMG_9338-EDIT.jpg
I can't tell you how many days I watched this countdown move in the DCL app. And sent screenshots to the fam. It is so cute! But the best feeling is seeing it show zero/all characters because that means TODAY IS THE DAY!

Before checking out and heading to San Diego, we finally enjoyed breakfast at Tangaroa Terrace.

This was a highlight of the whole trip!
IMG_9342.jpg
I had:

Tangaroa Toast

Brick Toast, Citrus Custard, Guava Syrup, Whipped Cream and Toasted Coconut, served with Bacon

It was absolutely delicious. Wish I had it right now!

IMG_9340.jpg
Lilli had:

Thick & Fluffy Japanese Pancakes

Fluffy Vanilla Pancakes topped with Tropical Fruit Blend, Starfruit and Guava Syrup, served with Bacon. Available while supplies last.

She was lucky to get the very last order! Thankfully Scarlett didn't want them, too. She originally did but changed her order to be this acai bowl which I can't find on the menu.
IMG_9341.jpg

I believe Jason got the All-American breakfast and I didn't take his pic because it wasn't as pretty as ours!

We all loved our food. It was the perfect ending to such a fun hotel experience. I liked that we could take a leisurely pace getting out the door.

We walked back to our room to grab our bags and stopped for this mural pic. Each time we walked by we found more details!
IMG_9344.jpg

We called an Uber, which was sort of an ordeal because we couldn't find one big enough. Thankfully the first guy who showed up was nice about it after we realized it wouldn't work. We had all our luggage plus a 1.5-hour drive, so I did NOT want to get car sick in a tiny car. This was the whole reason we packed in carry-on bags only. Which for the length of our trip, was a feat.

We ended up having a nice man with an SUV get us and he chatted with us the whole way to San Diego about his life in Mexico and then his life in California. He pointed out some things on the way and was just a genuinely nice man. We tipped him well and marveled at how close the planes flew by San Diego!
IMG_9358.jpg

And then, there she was! Our 4th ship to try, the Wonder!
IMG_9361.jpg

I hate Uber stress!!! For our last cruise out of Port Canaveral, we ended up hiring a car to take us from the airport to the port. I'm glad you were able to find someone nice to get you to San Diego without being squished into a tiny car!

I can't tell you how many days I watched this countdown move in the DCL app. And sent screenshots to the fam. It is so cute!
When we went on our cruise, I did the same thing. I loved it. Jeff and I are going on a Norwegian cruise and the count down is just not as fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter