Our 5/20-23 (2022) experience & review :)

smallbutmighty

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! These forums and everyone here have been exponentially helpful in planning my little family’s Disneyland vacation so I first wanna say THANK YOU (it was a success!) and also, hopefully offer some helpful tips/reviews for future travelers. :lovestruc

Of note, we do not live in California. We flew in and only visit DL once every few years.
There are only 3 of us, 2 adults and 1 child. We stayed 4 days, 3 nights.
My husband is easy going but both my son and myself struggle with anxiety (I have GAD & panic attacks) and my son is sensory sensitive so I had to plan specifically around these considerations. These things factor in when you plan. But anyway, my experiences/takeaways from a recent trip below! :o

- Flight: We flew into SNA (John Wayne Airport/OC) as this is closer and you don’t have the hassle of LA traffic. Roughly 25 minutes away from Disneyland.
- Transportation: We used a private shuttle from Midwilshuttle both to and from the airport. We were able to request a booster seat for my son, not ride with anyone else (sorry, just hate doing that LOL), and it was quick/easy. You pay and tip in person both to and from. We were staying on DL campus the whole time so didn’t need a car and tbh, didn’t want to drive anyway. Uber/Lyft makes me nervous nowadays too…
- Planning: Yes, I booked everything way out in advance. Long story short, we had canceled our Disney cruise due to …new rules… so DL was a good alternative. I’d say we started planning at least a year in advance, booked the room/tickets 6 months in advance, and yes- I had to do the 0500 wake up for booking dining reservations. But I mostly got the ones I wanted (including World of Color dessert party).

Day One: Disneyland Hotel / Trader Sam’s / Downtown Disney
- We arrived around lunchtime and since we were super off schedule, we just snacked until our late afternoon reservation for Trader Sam‘s.
- Disneyland hotel is adorable! :smickey: Not the “fanciest” but I like that it still has true, classic Disney appeal. Love the retro items / decor strewn about the place. Check-in was done via the app and we dropped our bags at bag-drop up front since our room wasn’t ready. Of note, they said they’d text us when it was ready & they didn’t. :confused3 Just keep checking the app. It will not likely be ready before 3 PM.
- The pool was chilly but at least somewhat heated water. Love that you can order drinks/food to your seat! Of note with seating: Good luck! It is very hard to find seating when the weather is nice. Either have someone come out early to snag a chair or rent a cabana in advance. They also offer free towels & water which is nice. There are bathrooms in the AC to change in/out of and an outdoor shower, too.
- Trader Sam’s: The earliest reservation I could grab was 250 PM :rotfl: so this was “Linner”. Enjoyed the cute decor and the food was pretty good but not crazy about the drinks, to be completely honest with y’all. With all the hype, I definitely expected more. Oh well. Fun nevertheless. Just don’t come with super high expectations. Green beans were good, chicken wings good, poke bowl good. Better for sitting at the bar, just for adults.
- Downtown Disney: Also super cute! Roughly a 5 minute walk + security to get in. What’s nice is once you do security here, you’re good to go for DL/CA. Definitely not as many shopping/dining options as Florida’s but we loved the Confectionary, WOD, and the pizza was tasty, too.
B6E81AFD-0BA2-4F80-AA12-E276ABAFE869.jpeg9247848D-FADB-4E74-8FCC-10550CCB166D.jpegF9CD328A-9C93-4F26-9833-D3286FDCC873.jpeg0FD8DD76-A085-44B9-A4E3-10D54194246F.jpeg

Day Two: Disneyland here we come!
- Woke up naturally around 0600 since we are two hours ahead where we live :rotfl:So that worked to our advantage (well, in the morning, anyway). Made coffee in the room & brought breakfast/protein bars to snack on while walking into the parks. The options at the hotel or DTD are suuuuuper packed and not worth the wait IMO. We just wanted to get going.
- Rope drop was pretty smooth/easy. Of course, there will always be ignorant folks who like to push down/run over/knock over people once it drops, but we just tried to stay to the side/out of the way of these… people. Just not worth seeing my son injured.
- Purchased Genie+ and reserved a ride while waiting for rope drop. Game changer!
- Fantasyland first as this was best course of action for the little dude and optimizing time. Peter Pan was down at first but we were able to come around. TBH, don‘t really think its worth the wait but its still cute. Loved Its a Small World, of course. Loved the Storybook Canals!
- Mobile ordered breakfast at Rose Tavern. Yes, the gray stuff is delicious. Meals can be split between people which helps with cutting costs *and* being able to try more food throughout the day, lol.
- Lunch at Cafe Orleans! Loved the Monte Christopher (both regular + vegetarian version) and loved just sitting down for a while, haha. Mint julep was tasty too.
- Loooooooved all the character meet and greets! There are SO many characters walking around! And you can actually interact with them! Just love it.
- One of our longest lines was to meet Tinkerbell in Pixie Hollow. WORTH IT!!! And since we bought Genie+, these beautiful Photopass pictures were free/included. Love that.
- Hyperspace mountain was fun but made me super nauseous :sad1: wasn’t prepared for that.
- I actually don’t remember what we had for dinner since my tummy was all messed up after Hyperspace. But I gotta hand it to Mobile Ordering- we never waited for food, just planned ahead what we might want and went in to pick it up when we were ready. Between Genie+ and Mobile Ordering, you’ve got a great game plan and accessibility options.
- I know this seems obvious but I can’t stress enough the importance of bringing a portable phone charger. You are on your phone a good amount of the day so it will drain your battery fast. This is a necessity. The Wi-Fi was working well, which is a plus. Overall, though, I don’t feel as if I was on my phone “too much”. I was still able to quickly book what I wanted and tuck it away. I still felt like I was able to disconnect and engage with my family/the park/ the experiences. So don’t worry about that too much. You just have to get the hang of things.
8AAAD3AF-A640-4B36-BE90-0399BD3FF653.jpegC4D6C7BD-1C28-41F6-8932-8380E7F8C932.jpegE96E77B1-5F65-4AB8-B41D-B8B477D681FE.jpeg068C2DDB-1C2E-45C9-AC92-6C19CE82FCAE.jpeg1F7FD3E9-8B7E-4A9F-8993-233CF7F997BA.jpeg

More on the next 2 days in my next post! This one is getting too lengthy, haha.

Day 3: California Adventrue + World of Color🏳️‍🌈
- Since we turned in pretty early the night prior (time zone difference + a super long day of walking) again, we naturally woke up early this day. Woke around 0600 and got ready to go into the parks.
- Again, coffee in the room + snack bars into the park is a smart idea. Gets you in quick for rope drop. Around 0700, the lines really aren’t bad for both into the park and then near rope drop.
- My son is a huge Cars fan so yes, we were Radiator Springs Racers rope-droppers :teeth: No shame in our game! I still purchased Genie+ for this day, too.
- Headed straight to CarsLand which, to this day, is still the most major highlight of the whole trip for him. At the end of the day, our kiddos’ experience is the most important so I’m super thankful he loved CarsLand so much.
- We rope dropped RSR then also purchased it later for ILL+ so that he could ride it twice that day. I already knew this would be his favorite (I was right) and this move paid off tenfold. He just loved absolutely everything in CarsLand so we spent most the morning there. Lines weren’t bad at all in the morning.
- Breakfast was mobile ordered at Pym’s Kitchen. Not great but could be worse, I guess. Just something to fill the tummy. Kiddo liked the boba drink here. Cold brew was good.
- Lunch at Flo’s, also Mobile Ordered, was decent too. I love that DL has so many vegetarian options (me).
- We walked back to the hotel in the early afternoon to make sure kiddo had time to take advantage of the warmer/sunnier weather at the pool. Of course, everyone else did also, so there was absolutely no where to sit. Oh well.
- Grabbed dole whip + ice cream at Tengeroa Terrace. You can mobile order or pick up through a window on the side- Mobile order was down at that time so I just stood in line. Yummy.
- Pixar Pier is so cool. Genie+ is highly advantageous for riding rides here.
- Lamplight Lounge for dinner is a MUST! Out of all the meals we had, this one was by far our best. Best food, best drinks, best overall experience. Highly highly recommend. Even my little guy got the coolest drink with boba that popped up/fizzled and a cool Pixar lamp straw. Love!
- Can’t stress enough how great the character interactions are. They are absolutely amazing.
- World of Color was AMAZING! The dessert party was 100% worth it. The checking in process sucks but that would be the only “con” IMO. Around 730 PM, you get in this line underneath the train tracks in this musty/damp area that looks sketchy in the dark LOL but then you get your assigned table + wristbands. Then you all walk as a group to your table.
- Once at your table, you can pick your specific drinks. We got a high top in the back which has a great view but not the safest for little kids (I had to hold my son’s chair so he wouldn’t fall).
- I had the rainbow spritzers which were super cute but just plain sugar. My husband enjoyed the beer though I don’t know what kind it was specifically. My son loved his cherry soda in a light up cup (which of course we kept, hehe).
- The desserts are delish! Loved the cheese + chocolate cake.
- The show itself is just gorgeous. There’s really no explaining in words, you just have to see it in person. For someone who doesn’t go regular, this experience is worth ponying up for with a dessert party.
9FC39F73-81A4-406D-986C-F155B236EB62.jpeg99B63B8A-50F3-4F1B-8090-078C70920592.jpegBD0E9D84-61A5-4812-905B-22A83C2A5165.jpeg82396B48-6D47-488F-B999-F855773B4C45.jpeg628455B4-3CC2-4315-BC73-D6F88EC812B6.jpeg0BA9BA12-04D3-489A-A06A-4045409200F9.jpeg

Day 4: Character dining + already time to go?? :sad:
- Slept in a little (0700 LOL) and headed downstairs for breakfast at Goofy’s Kitchen. Gotta love that this one was right in our hotel.
- Check-in is pretty chaotic for character breakfast at Goofy’s Kitchen. There’s folks everywhere and apparently the app check-in doesn’t mean anything, lol. Just go straight to the counter and tell them you’re there THEN you’ll get in line to meet Goofy/take a picture with him. The photo is included with your reservation so not extra.
- By far the best breakfast brunch! So delicious and SO many options! And so many are super cute like peanut butter jelly pizza and s’mores pizza! A hit with the kids (and me, let’s be honest).
- I love how the characters consistently rotate throughout the restaurant. They came through at least once every 10 minutes. Super awesome.
- Part of why we came on this trip was to celebrate mine & my husband’s 10 years of marriage. They were so sweet & brought out a cupcake and pins for us. Super cute.
- We ended our trip by just touring the hotel and enjoying all the classic Disney nostalgia. We also walked around Downtown Disney one more time (go broke or go home, am I right? LOL)
- Check out was simple but make sure you’re really out of your room by 11 am! I saw a lady get charged $250 up front because they weren’t out of their room right on the dot. Yikes!
30378C35-0FC3-495B-99B7-EAC9B9524896.jpeg

All in all, we had an AMAZING time! Little guy keeps crying and saying he wants to go back which breaks my heart but at the same time, I’m just glad it was a trip he loved.

I’m sure I left out details but there is just too much to remember, haha. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me know! Again, everyone has been so helpful here so if theres’ anything you want to know about how things looked/worked recently, please ask!

Just wanted to end with my final quick tips:

• Genie+ and ILL are super helpful if you don’t go often and want to maximize time
  • Genie+ comes with free PhotoPass which is super nice
  • Rope drop is also a must for maximizing time
  • Bring snacks/protein bars for both walking in and walking around
  • Even if your kid is older, strollers are so helpful for keeping it moving since they get tired so easy
  • Bring a blanket
  • Bring layers to wear/take off; chilly mornings/nights but gets warm during the day
  • Bring a portable phone charger!!!! An absolute must
  • Mobile ordering is also a must; super helpful and can book your meal while standing in line
  • Going back to the room (if on campus/close by) is helpful for littles too; I didn’t forsee my son melting down on day 1 but he did just from being tired (and he’s 6 years old)
  • World of Disney has mobile checkout which is nice and saves time

That sounds like an amazing trip! I'm glad you all had a wonderful time :)

Love all your pictures and thanks for the detailed report and tips! I can't wait for the dessert party, and really looking forward to Carsland (We've never been.)

Sounds like an absolutely great vacation! love that you are a family of 3 with the exact same age child as ours. (you guys look a tad younger than us , and for sure, in better shape) lol , but hey up for a challenge I am. DL vs DW is what I am comparing ATM. I am currently pulling out hair (what little I have) trying to plan WDW never crossed my mind to look at DL as i figured the cost of flights would be a BIG factor. Not really at all! What caught my attention the most was the fact of "CHARACTER exposure" which to be honest i see in Florida as somewhat limited restricted not many (at this time) for us i believe that the character sights are really a make or break deal for us as our lil one has some issues (mobility, health) we are trying to address for a vacation. THE SIZE yes DL is smaller which may be a good thing for us) Hoping that the same accessibility and needs are the same in WDW vs DL parks (stroller as a wheel chair) etc. To be totally honest I have only looked at WDW as we are canadian and live in Ontario and seemed DL was just to far out of reach for us. after checking some sample flights.....No it isnt at all. SO now im thinking (same budget i planned for for WDW cross with DL. was thinking that we do a 2 days park #1 -- 2 days park #2 (1 day maybe knots berry farm if it still exists?) 1 day pools rest explore etc. ) I am very intrigued about the pictures ? Included with Genie+ seems like a bonus as genie+ and then add $175 for memory maker in WDW). Although the hotel is a bit more than what we would pay in DW I feel perhaps as a LOCATION compared to DW , DL hotel is like staying very close to the park at a deluxe etc.

Anyways I am so happy you and your family had a great time and seeing his smiles (missing teeth lol) as our lil one lost hers as well, tells me he had or was having a great time.

What a great story play by play adventure GREAT READ! Still shaking my head over the character meets you pointed out several times and YES i took note.

Thanks again for this post have a great weekend.

Sounds like an absolutely great vacation! love that you are a family of 3 with the exact same age child as ours. (you guys look a tad younger than us , and for sure, in better shape) lol , but hey up for a challenge I am. DL vs DW is what I am comparing ATM. I am currently pulling out hair (what little I have) trying to plan WDW never crossed my mind to look at DL as i figured the cost of flights would be a BIG factor. Not really at all! What caught my attention the most was the fact of "CHARACTER exposure" which to be honest i see in Florida as somewhat limited restricted not many (at this time) for us i believe that the character sights are really a make or break deal for us as our lil one has some issues (mobility, health) we are trying to address for a vacation. THE SIZE yes DL is smaller which may be a good thing for us) Hoping that the same accessibility and needs are the same in WDW vs DL parks (stroller as a wheel chair) etc. To be totally honest I have only looked at WDW as we are canadian and live in Ontario and seemed DL was just to far out of reach for us. after checking some sample flights.....No it isnt at all. SO now im thinking (same budget i planned for for WDW cross with DL. was thinking that we do a 2 days park #1 -- 2 days park #2 (1 day maybe knots berry farm if it still exists?) 1 day pools rest explore etc. ) I am very intrigued about the pictures ? Included with Genie+ seems like a bonus as genie+ and then add $175 for memory maker in WDW). Although the hotel is a bit more than what we would pay in DW I feel perhaps as a LOCATION compared to DW , DL hotel is like staying very close to the park at a deluxe etc.

Anyways I am so happy you and your family had a great time and seeing his smiles (missing teeth lol) as our lil one lost hers as well, tells me he had or was having a great time.

What a great story play by play adventure GREAT READ! Still shaking my head over the character meets you pointed out several times and YES i took note.

Thanks again for this post have a great weekend.
Hey there! TBH, WDW is usually our go-to as my husband’s family lives in Florida, but we go there pretty often as is (about once a year) and wanted to do something different/more intimate. When we go to WDW, however, we only go to one park for one day. Its a totally different experience. This time, we wanted to be completely immersed in the Disney experience and do nothing else.

For that, I’d say I prefer DL to WDW in terms of intimacy and accessibility. I love how walkable everything is! With that being said, yes, its still a walk. Takes about 15 minutes from DL hotel to DL gates. But with the ample amount of time you mentioned, I think y’all would be able to pace out your walks, take good breaks, and just take it easy. You wouldn’t need to feel rushed. If you integrate rope drop and Genie+, even moreso. WDW is so massive, its a bit more difficult to maximize time.

For what its worth, I think DL is definitely better for 2 days though CA may not need 2. Just depends on what y’all are into and if you want to do certain rides/areas more than once.

And yes, I totally agree about the character interactions. I was blown away at how many characters there were, the variety, and how sweet they interacted with the kids. We got so many photos, videos, and it moved me to tears a few times. The character breakfast, Pixie Hollow (and other experiences like that), and just them continuously walking around the parks are a must.

Another advantage of DL vs WDW is the weather 😂 Mostly sunny (sometimes cloudy) and cool in CA versus WDW where its either dreadfully hot or down pouring rain 😩 Sometimes you get lucky in FL (namely early spring or late fall) and the weather is actually nice but its definitely a gamble.

Hey there! TBH, WDW is usually our go-to as my husband’s family lives in Florida, but we go there pretty often as is (about once a year) and wanted to do something different/more intimate. When we go to WDW, however, we only go to one park for one day. Its a totally different experience. This time, we wanted to be completely immersed in the Disney experience and do nothing else.

For that, I’d say I prefer DL to WDW in terms of intimacy and accessibility. I love how walkable everything is! With that being said, yes, its still a walk. Takes about 15 minutes from DL hotel to DL gates. But with the ample amount of time you mentioned, I think y’all would be able to pace out your walks, take good breaks, and just take it easy. You wouldn’t need to feel rushed. If you integrate rope drop and Genie+, even moreso. WDW is so massive, its a bit more difficult to maximize time.

For what its worth, I think DL is definitely better for 2 days though CA may not need 2. Just depends on what y’all are into and if you want to do certain rides/areas more than once.

And yes, I totally agree about the character interactions. I was blown away at how many characters there were, the variety, and how sweet they interacted with the kids. We got so many photos, videos, and it moved me to tears a few times. The character breakfast, Pixie Hollow (and other experiences like that), and just them continuously walking around the parks are a must.

Another advantage of DL vs WDW is the weather 😂 Mostly sunny (sometimes cloudy) and cool in CA versus WDW where its either dreadfully hot or down pouring rain 😩 Sometimes you get lucky in FL (namely early spring or late fall) and the weather is actually nice but its definitely a gamble.
yes i thought i could read into your posts a little ..... DL is more focus on Disney feel after all thats what we are looking for. (target) the new Avenger thing , My little one is absolutel Awwww struck at Superheros. As i have not looked at either DL park in detail, i am basing my feelings off WDW planning this far where I was planning 1 day each park - (4) -- 1 xtra -MK ---1 xtra HS and a day for rest somewhere. I definately DONT want to feel rushed thats why i added days etc enjoy the experience not RUSH to each ride to get in as much as possible in 1 day. She will be directing the flow with me in the Background conducting the experience as needed through G+ LL etc. Your opinion on amount of time in each park is VERY relevant I just picked 2-2 days as compared to WDW need these times to make sure we cover distances and or any special rides she would like etc. (mobility concerns) in DL i feel smaller VENUE = A little less stress on dad and less wear and tear on little one and mom. where as WDW i feel its all about the clock + time to reach the spots (distances) may cause some issues. I am hopping that I read into your reply correctly and saying that DL carries a bit more DISNEY immersive feel than WDW and maybe thats what we need.

Thank you very much for your advice it isnt falling on deaf (MICKEY) ears ;)

Just curious about what underwhelmed you about the drinks at Trader Sam’s? They’re mostly fairly standard tiki bar drinks and aside from the prices I thought they were fairly on par. One thing I found this last trip was that DCA doesn’t have much in the way of quality breakfast options. Though, I did brunch at lamplight and it was the best meal of the trip for me. Probably the best I’ve had in the park since I was 8 years old and tried clam chowder in a bread bowl for the first time.

Glad you had a good time. I actually checked out of the Disneyland hotel on the 20th myself. The weather was great that day. Always nice to hear about other people’s experiences especially when I take certain things for granted as a local and also not having kids.

Just curious about what underwhelmed you about the drinks at Trader Sam’s? They’re mostly fairly standard tiki bar drinks and aside from the prices I thought they were fairly on par. One thing I found this last trip was that DCA doesn’t have much in the way of quality breakfast options. Though, I did brunch at lamplight and it was the best meal of the trip for me. Probably the best I’ve had in the park since I was 8 years old and tried clam chowder in a bread bowl for the first time.

Glad you had a good time. I actually checked out of the Disneyland hotel on the 20th myself. The weather was great that day. Always nice to hear about other people’s experiences especially when I take certain things for granted as a local and also not having kids.
Eh, they just seemed like a major sugar rush + a plastic kitchy cup :confused3 Not really my style, personally. I hate sweet alcoholic beverages... prefer a sharp drink with a clean taste.
On the flipside, I did enjoy Lamplight Lounge's drinks. And the environment or "vibe" at Trader Sam's was fun.

Thank you for the drink comparison between LL and TS. My husband also prefers sharper, clean finish drinks (I am good with the sweet ones). We have a late brunch at LL, and I think he will enjoy those a lot - the hard part will be reminding him to limit himself 😅

Thank you for the drink comparison between LL and TS. My husband also prefers sharper, clean finish drinks (I am good with the sweet ones). We have a late brunch at LL, and I think he will enjoy those a lot - the hard part will be reminding him to limit himself 😅
Oh yes, you both will enjoy that brunch a lot then 😂 enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter