Other ways to use points

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
We've only used our points for the resorts/Aulani before and wondering about other options for using the points. I know Disney Cruise and Adventures by Disney are options. So if we use banked points that expire 11/30/20 to book either of those, does the travel have to be complete by 11/30/20 (similar to using them at the resorts?) And for RCI, we can use the points for 2 years (even past the expiration date of the points)? Any other options? Thanks in advance!

If you’re going to use your points for cruises I highly recommend you rent your points then use the cash to book the cruise. You don’t get very good value using your points for cruises or adventures. I used my points for a cruise before for the wife and I. Never again. I could have rented my points through Davids then used the cash to pay for the cruise, pay for airfare and still had cash left over. The amount of points you need for these two are extremely high. As far as RCI I’m not sure. I traded my DVC points one time before but it was another company before they were using RCI. Sorry don’t remember the name. But I do remember getting good value for my points.

If you’re going to use your points for cruises I highly recommend you rent your points then use the cash to book the cruise. You don’t get very good value using your points for cruises or adventures. I used my points for a cruise before for the wife and I. Never again. I could have rented my points through Davids then used the cash to pay for the cruise, pay for airfare and still had cash left over. The amount of points you need for these two are extremely high. As far as RCI I’m not sure. I traded my DVC points one time before but it was another company before they were using RCI. Sorry don’t remember the name. But I do remember getting good value for my points.

Thanks for the insight regarding renting!

Disney should maybe consider this thought....
Allow current DVC owners to trade in unused points (could help with DVC availability and resort capability issues to some degree) for a discount on add on DVC contracts. Not sure how this would work but maybe give people $5 or $10 off each point they trade in for a discount on the same number of points. IE: New 50 point contract is reduced $5 pp for 50 points traded in or $10 pp for 100 points traded in. This thought could very well be against the timeshare laws in FL...

Disney should maybe consider this thought....
Allow current DVC owners to trade in unused points (could help with DVC availability and resort capability issues to some degree) for a discount on add on DVC contracts. Not sure how this would work but maybe give people $5 or $10 off each point they trade in for a discount on the same number of points. IE: New 50 point contract is reduced $5 pp for 50 points traded in or $10 pp for 100 points traded in. This thought could very well be against the timeshare laws in FL...

Your points are tied to a deeded interest so I don’t think there is a legal way to take them.

Your points are tied to a deeded interest so I don’t think there is a legal way to take them.
You can use DVC points to book a cruise or ABD vacation so it seems that points can be used for non-DVC items. I don't see a different between these and buying more points but you very well could be right and this thought is against timeshare laws in FL.
This thought was a win for DVC members whom have used points and a win for Disney since they get more DVC direct sales.

You can use DVC points to book a cruise or ABD vacation so it seems that points can be used for non-DVC items. I don't see a different between these and buying more points but you very well could be right and this thought is against timeshare laws in FL.
This thought was a win for DVC members whom have used points and a win for Disney since they get more DVC direct sales.

When you trade for those, what DVC does is use your points and takes a DVC villa and sells it for cash...they then use the cash to pay for your trade,

So, technically, the points themselves don’t pay for it, the cash from the rental of the villa your points booked does .

When you trade for those, what DVC does is use your points and takes a DVC villa and sells it for cash...they then use the cash to pay for your trade,

So, technically, the points themselves don’t pay for it, the cash from the rental of the villa your points booked does .
Nice point that! That does make sense and that wouldn't be against any timeshare lawyers you wouldn't think. How many current members whom might be losing points might consider adding more for a discounted rate? Each DVC member could trade in a given amount of points for their desired discount amount. This means its not a one size fits all idea. I might consider buying 50 Riveria points direct if I could offset the total cost buy burning some used and expiring DVC points.... Still think this is a win/win for all parties.

Nice point that! That does make sense and that wouldn't be against any timeshare lawyers you wouldn't think. How many current members whom might be losing points might consider adding more for a discounted rate? Each DVC member could trade in a given amount of points for their desired discount amount. This means its not a one size fits all idea. I might consider buying 50 Riveria points direct if I could offset the total cost buy burning some used and expiring DVC points.... Still think this is a win/win for all parties.

All great ideas but its a deeded contract and it’d be like saying I am going to sell you a years use..but then take it back,

DVC has been know to buy back an owners contract.for around $65/pt...way below market value and not something they do a lot.

But I could certainly see them coming out with some current DVC owner incentives to entice people in adding on more points to boost sales...wouldn’t need to Involve point trading either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!