Other Options...

@*WDW*Groupie* - thanks for taking the time to write down your thoughts. Very interesting.

@quinnc19 - the Backroads leaders were telling us about some of the camping trips and they sound amazing. They said kids LOVE those trips and the food is amazing. I think you will love it. The guides were saying the camping trips are their favorite ones to lead.

@*WDW*Groupie* - thanks for taking the time to write down your thoughts. Very interesting.

@quinnc19 - the Backroads leaders were telling us about some of the camping trips and they sound amazing. They said kids LOVE those trips and the food is amazing. I think you will love it. The guides were saying the camping trips are their favorite ones to lead.
It's been many years since I did a Backroads camping trip, but one of the things I vividly remember was the amazing camping cuisine the Guides cooked up in our campsites. It was really pretty amazing!

Sayhello

A co-worker has done a few European Backroads biking tours. Stayed in chateaus. Thought they were amazing (the food especially on the France one).

DSC08206.jpg
Molting baby king penguin (called Oakum Boys)
DSC08924.jpg
DSC06740.jpg
Mom and baby gentoo pengiun - taken on the Falkland Islands
DSC06923 (1).jpg
DSC07539.jpg
There are over 150,000 penguins in this pictures - 60,000 mating pairs plus babies! The smell of guano was overwhelming!
DSC08677.jpg
Baby chinstrap
DSC07385.jpg
Baby fur seal! These little guys were absolutely adorable and so friendly!
DSC07837.jpg
This is a photo taken from (way) up the hill from where Shackleton is buried in Grytviken -- the view was stunning. Off in the distance on the right hand side is a research station -- the Young Explorers got to tour this and talk with the researchers (no adults were allowed); my dd found this to be fascinating
DSC08006.jpg
"Shackleton's Falls" - the area where these falls are located was quite a long hike from our boat. I have no clue how he made the trek from the other side of South Georgia with little equipment (to reach the whaling station {which is now in a state of disrepair} on the beach where we started from)
DSC08125 (1).jpg
For those that chose to participate -- there was optional seal yoga on the beach!

My heart aches looking at these -- I would love to go back and am already thinking of how / when we can go.

There really are no words to describe the unspoiled beauty.

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures from Antarctica! The picture with all the king penguins -- there are over 150,000 in the picture. It was unbelievable.

My heart aches looking at these -- I would love to go back and am already thinking of how / when we can go.

There really are no words to describe the unspoiled beauty.

Love them!!!

DSC08983.jpg
Our naturalist told us that the theory is that the part of the iceberg below the surface (the light blue) is what sank the Titanic. Because these icebergs go so far below the surface not all of them can be seen; in the case of the Titanic it was too late when they spotted it (so he thinks)
DSC09234.jpg
This was taken from the aft deck of the ship.
DSC09373.jpg
Our 7th continent. Look closely at the sign on the right and you will see the distance to various places.

Attachments

• DSC06740.jpg
    DSC06740.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC07837.jpg
    DSC07837.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Looking at the last photo of the macaroni penguin (my memory card was full when we saw them so I have limited pictures) reminds me that we had a 15 minute lecture that evening on the traveling abilities of sea kelp. Apparently one piece of kelp was tracked and it traveled in over 20,000km. I kid not. We saw photos of the journey it took from start to finish. Also apparently several people tasted the kelp (I was not one of them). Apparently many people found kelp very interesting.

View attachment 374958
Our naturalist told us that the theory is that the part of the iceberg below the surface (the light blue) is what sank the Titanic. Because these icebergs go so far below the surface not all of them can be seen; in the case of the Titanic it was too late when they spotted it (so he thinks)
View attachment 374959
This was taken from the aft deck of the ship.
View attachment 374960
Our 7th continent. Look closely at the sign on the right and you will see the distance to various places.
Fabulous!!

Sayhello

Beautiful photos! Being so close to so many penguins must have been an incredible experience. Did they react at all to presence of humans? Thanks for taking the time to post your trip summary and photos.

Beautiful photos! Being so close to so many penguins must have been an incredible experience. Did they react at all to presence of humans? Thanks for taking the time to post your trip summary and photos.

Most of the penguins didn't seem to notice the presence of us. Each landing was limited to 100 people and barriers were set up at a distance of 15 meters (see the red flag with the elephant seal above). However a lot of the seals and penguins crossed the barriers and came right to us. The only animals that were hostile were the male fur seals who were protecting their territory -- they would charge at us -- we were showed how to keep them at a safe distance from us (some people were afraid of them as the male fur seals are quite large). The adorable baby fur seals came right up to us!

Has anyone used Audley tours? They will put together a personalized, independent itineraries and I’m considering them for our trip to Australia in March 2021. If we do a group trip, I think it will be Tauck. I like that they have private charter flights throughout Australia. However, having our own itinerary is also appealing. Just curious if anyone here has used Audley, or knows someone who has.

Has anyone used Audley tours? They will put together a personalized, independent itineraries and I’m considering them for our trip to Australia

I feel like someone on this board has mentioned Audley. I've added them to my list too.

For anyone that has done a trip with Tauck, are there any agents out there that offer a discount (like what some agents do for an ABD)? I'm 99% sure that I'm going to book the Tauck Alaska cruise with my son on July 27th. Would love a discount if one is available ;)

For anyone that has done a trip with Tauck, are there any agents out there that offer a discount (like what some agents do for an ABD)? I'm 99% sure that I'm going to book the Tauck Alaska cruise with my son on July 27th. Would love a discount if one is available ;)
If you've done a trip with Tauck before you get a free night before or after the trip.

I got a couple hundred off my Italy trip but I think thats because I knew the travel agent from Travel Hut so she returned part of her commission back to me.

You can book directly with Tauck and it is very easy. I don't know of any discounts but you can ask and maybe Tauck will refund the commission but it doesn't hurt to ask. We will be doing our 5th trip with Tauck this spring and the free hotel room as mentioned saves a few bucks especially when you travel to Europe with them.

Agree with @carpenta- I've always just booked directly on the phone with them and the Gift of Time (free pre OR post night hotel) has been worth several hundred dollars-last June we had the extra night at Dromoland Castle-easily worth $500-700.

I used a travel agency for my two Tauck trips, they didn't discount the trip but they did give us a substantial amount in gift cards of our choice after final payment. I don't believe I can mention them on the boards but I'll send you a quick PM with the name. And as others said the gift of time is a fantastic savings. Wish ABD offered it, it would save me quite a bit for our pre-night in Hong Kong in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter