Other/Cheaper Cruises...?

Beg to differ but you don't get this on other lines.

View attachment 389044

Agreed, but for some of us that was never a big deal. But for those that it is a big deal, you have to decide how much it is worth. Talking to a coworker that is a huge fan of Disney, they are making a similar decision about the parks, whether or not they want to continue to spend the money.

But yeh for true Disney fans there is only one cruise line that has Disney characters.

BTW, to those are comparing prices of DCL during non-school periods: The other cruise lines will almost always be cheaper. DCL caters to families and thus, those timeframes are way more expensive. If you want an apples to apples comparison, look at prices for off-peak times, for both cruise lines. That will give you a fair price comparison.

We cruise off peak, and even with a greater than 10 percent discount DCL was more expensive for 2 adults on other lines including the overpriced new Celebrity ships. I have no clue where these cheaper DCL cruises are, we can’t find them.

If I booked 2 adults today for September 21 or 22 7 night sailing (kids in school, not Fall Break so off-peak) includes port fees, taxes but not gratuities:

DCL Fantasy Deck 7 Aft Verandah 3893.04
Carnival Breeze Deck 7 aft Balcony 1945.54
RCCL Harmony of the Seas Deck 6 Aft Oceanview Balcony 2453.66
NCL Breakaway Deck 8 Aft Balcony 2677.44

There is a considerable price difference even over Royal and NCL.

RCCL is getting expensive as well. We are doing Regal Princess (7-night Eastern) over Thanksgiving in an interior cabin for 3 (which is currently sold out, so I'll use our price). Here are Thanksgiving week cruises:

Regal Princess: $2,086.80 + $300 OBC
Allure of the Seas: $3,808.07 (no OBC)
Oasis of the Seas: $4,516.13 (no OBC)
Harmony of the Seas: $4,742.60 (no OBC)
Disney Fantasy: $6,439.00 (no OBC) (NOTE: $5,834.79 + $200 OBC if you had OBB)
Carnival Breeze: $2,173.56 (NOTE: This is an Oceanview using the "More Equals Merrier")

My thoughts. The Princess is a wonderful deal that we got. Oasis and Harmony are closer to Fantasy prices, especially if you had OBB credit. You would have to determine if the difference is "worth it" to you. (For us, since we have a lot of OBB, we'd choose the Fantasy over either the Harmony or Oasis, the Allure would make me think). However, if you are going by value, the Breeze is a much better value than any of the others.

However, if money is no object, I'm picking DCL every time! Since money is an object, unfortunately, we'll go with Plan B on the Regal Princess and still have a great time!

Now, all this being said, why is Disney more expensive? Because they can get it from the market. So, apparently, the difference is enough for a number of people. However, the great thing about cruises is that all of these ships will be full and they will all be great experiences. One doesn't have to be "Good" or "Bad"...

Last edited:
I'm sorry but none of the things you have listed is something that is actually required to cruise. Every other cruise line provides these things. You may not like how it is done but it does not make the value of them on DCL more. Personally the lack of included dining locations is a turnoff to me as is the regimented MDR for dinner.
Here's a few:

- DCL lets you bring beer on board the ship and you can restock at each port (yes, it was MUCH better a few years ago when you could bring on liquor as well) - Carnival lets you bring a 12 pack of soda and bottle of wine per person

But, not beer...

- DCL does not charge for the kids clubs at a certain time of the evening ("cough" RCCL "cough") - Carnival only charges for late night babysitting, as is their right, why should they be open 24/7

"Late night babysitting" is just the extended 10-1 hours in the Kids Clubs. There is no charge for these hours on DCL.

- DCL does not charge for room service (to be fair, neither does Princess) - Do you really need to eat in your room? You can just as easily walk to get food from some other place. Breakfast is free on Carnival but they have a small charge if you are too lazy to get out of bed for other items.

So, you are implying that if someone wants Room Service, then they are lazy? Personally, we almost always get a cheese plate delivered to the room every day, whether on DCL or Princess. It's nice not to have to pay $7.95 each time...

- As of yet, there is no charge for the slides on Castaway Cay, unlike how RCCL will charge for use of the facilities at Coco Cay -

- DCL extends the Kid's clubs to their private island - If you are on a family vacation why can't you spend time with your kids.

Dunno, maybe you want to check out the adult only beach on the island? Maybe you want someone to watch your child as you do the Castaway Cay 5k (also included, BTW).

- DCL does not make you check out a towel (again, to be fair, Princess does not either) - Carnival provides towels in your stateroom. You can take this to the pool or choose to check on out. Not that difficult.

I was thinking RCCL here. They make you check out towels. That is a big annoyance.

- DCL provides a shower with tub in all stateroom types (note: with the exception of Handicap rooms) - Deluxe OV rooms on the newer Carnival ships have a tub. A tub is not a requirement to bath your kid. I bathed mine a sink when only a shower was available

You asked for a difference, I gave you one. For some folks, this is a big deal.

- DCL has a dedicated Dolby Sound, 3D capable Movie Theater that shows first run movies (to me, this is BY FAR the best perk on DCL. If Star Wars comes out on land on Thursday at Midnight, it will premiere on the ship that same Thursday at Midnight) - So you would pay thousands of dollars to see a movie on opening day? I can see the same moviir for $12 at my local theatre.

No, but I enjoy watching 2-4 movies that I would otherwise have to pay for. With a family of 3, thats now about $40. Multiply that by 4 and you are now at $160...

I'm sorry but none of the things you have listed is something that is actually required to cruise. Every other cruise line provides these things. You may not like how it is done but it does not make the value of them on DCL more. Personally the lack of included dining locations is a turnoff to me as is the regimented MDR for dinner.
Also, you asked "What extras are provided", so I listed a few. You didn't ask what is required to cruise.

Yes it is our perspective, but I went to other lines with a negative opinion based on what I read on these boards. People that have only sailed DCL badmouthed other lines service without experiencing it and I believed them, we found out differently. I haven’t said DCL service is bad, just that we have experienced similar service on other mass market lines. I just want to share our experiences to make others that are leaving DCL for the first time feel better about their choice.

I will say reading the Celebrity forum on CC I see a marked difference from here, lots of line bashing there vs those that defend their line of choice here.

I am curious though what extras your family needed on another line to match DCL? For us it was only the soda, curious what it is for others.

My goal is to be as straight up as possible in these discussions, I am a cheerleader for cruising, not any particular line, our loyalty days are long gone:)
I agree with this. All lines have their positives and negatives. Coupled with that, each individual's criteria for what makes or breaks a cruise will be different from one to the next, so really, this is an individual decision to which all answers are right answers.

Here's a few:

- DCL lets you bring beer on board the ship and you can restock at each port (yes, it was MUCH better a few years ago when you could bring on liquor as well) - Carnival lets you bring a 12 pack of soda and bottle of wine per person

But, not beer...

- DCL does not charge for the kids clubs at a certain time of the evening ("cough" RCCL "cough") - Carnival only charges for late night babysitting, as is their right, why should they be open 24/7

"Late night babysitting" is just the extended 10-1 hours in the Kids Clubs. There is no charge for these hours on DCL.

- DCL does not charge for room service (to be fair, neither does Princess) - Do you really need to eat in your room? You can just as easily walk to get food from some other place. Breakfast is free on Carnival but they have a small charge if you are too lazy to get out of bed for other items.

So, you are implying that if someone wants Room Service, then they are lazy? Personally, we almost always get a cheese plate delivered to the room every day, whether on DCL or Princess. It's nice not to have to pay $7.95 each time...

- As of yet, there is no charge for the slides on Castaway Cay, unlike how RCCL will charge for use of the facilities at Coco Cay -

- DCL extends the Kid's clubs to their private island - If you are on a family vacation why can't you spend time with your kids.

Dunno, maybe you want to check out the adult only beach on the island? Maybe you want someone to watch your child as you do the Castaway Cay 5k (also included, BTW).

- DCL does not make you check out a towel (again, to be fair, Princess does not either) - Carnival provides towels in your stateroom. You can take this to the pool or choose to check on out. Not that difficult.

I was thinking RCCL here. They make you check out towels. That is a big annoyance.

- DCL provides a shower with tub in all stateroom types (note: with the exception of Handicap rooms) - Deluxe OV rooms on the newer Carnival ships have a tub. A tub is not a requirement to bath your kid. I bathed mine a sink when only a shower was available

You asked for a difference, I gave you one. For some folks, this is a big deal.

- DCL has a dedicated Dolby Sound, 3D capable Movie Theater that shows first run movies (to me, this is BY FAR the best perk on DCL. If Star Wars comes out on land on Thursday at Midnight, it will premiere on the ship that same Thursday at Midnight) - So you would pay thousands of dollars to see a movie on opening day? I can see the same moviir for $12 at my local theatre.

No, but I enjoy watching 2-4 movies that I would otherwise have to pay for. With a family of 3, thats now about $40. Multiply that by 4 and you are now at $160...

While I always disliked the concept, some like the split bathroom on DCL. Our favorite room, sideways inside, had a standard bathroom not the split. Honestly I liked that room as much as our Cat V room.

Here's a few:

Sometimes room service isn't about being lazy. Sometimes it is about getting back late from an excursion. Like my family did getting back from Disney World. Or because one is sick. Please don't make assumptions about why people use room service.

If you compare apples to apples to make sure you include the higher fare of that tub room! And if you can bath a 8 year old with special needs in a sink good luck.

I would find it highly annoying not to be given towels at the pool, on CC, or on my way to excursions. Plus if I was charged a fee if I lost one.

I'm sorry but none of the things you have listed is something that is actually required to cruise.

If you are going to discount the previously mentioned list as not necessary to cruise, I'd like to point out soda is not necessary to cruise. What a person does and does not find necessary to cruise is subjective. You may not feel the need for a particular service offered by DCL. That does not make it an optional service for all, though.

This comparison was done last year when I was curious to see what previous posters were referencing when they said DCL was thousands over the rest. Once I went through RCL's booking process, the total was $100 difference. Same room type (actually RCL's was smaller), same itinerary. I saw it for myself.
It would be really good if you could find the information on this and post. I know you said it was done last year but anything you can remember would help. I have been going through RCCL bookings for the last three years and have never seen anything extra that you need to tack on. Anything extra that we would buy extra, say soda package, you don't purchase till after you have booked.
I'm just trying to honestly get my head around this. I see cabin price then taxes then port fees, just the same as I do on DCL. Nothing else. What am I missing? Again, honest question.

BTW, to those are comparing prices of DCL during non-school periods: The other cruise lines will almost always be cheaper. DCL caters to families and thus, those timeframes are way more expensive. If you want an apples to apples comparison, look at prices for off-peak times, for both cruise lines. That will give you a fair price comparison.

I don't think comparison over non-school time is "unfair" if that's when you're going to travel.

The one thing I have always been baffled by is why do people feel they have to defend Disney? When we bring up alternatives for others that our looking for them, people run to Disney’s defense. I don’t see this kind of loyalty to other lines. I am also baffled by it, because Disney being a for profit business really doesn’t care a lot about loyalty, only making as much profit as the market will allow.

I am guessing there are a lot of people out there that look for a family cruise vacation and rule Disney out due to cost and some that try cruising just because of Disney alone. If people like Disney, great, if people want to try other lines, they should be able to take advantage of the knowledge of people on this board that have done DCL and other lines. A lot of pro Disney people on here have sailed other lines a fair bit.

Perhaps like the split off the RCCL board, maybe Dis could create a general cruising board where other options could be discussed and this board could stick more exclusively to all things DCL? I for one would have nbenifitted from a board like this back in 2016.

I see that you choose to believe what you believe because you seem to prefer other cruise options, which is fine. But, don't portray your negativity towards those of us who prefer DCL. I did the comparison myself, so I know the prices I saw. It was a 4-day RCL MR cruise vs. a DCL 4-day with a similar itinerary. Up front, Disney looks to be so much more expensive, but I took the time to go through the RCL booking process and once you add in all the "extras" that are included in DCL, plus the taxes and fees, the prices were nearly the same.
What extras? I’ve cruised RCL a few times and I have no idea what extras you’re referring to. Maybe you could be more specific. The purpose of this thread is to help people make informed decisions. Other then soda I have no idea what extras you’re talking about.

If DCL was only $100 more - I would cruise it exclusively! If you can find that go for it! My experience has unfortunately been that it's $1000 more per person in off peak season for my family and Alaska was $1,500 per person more in the summer. Cruises out of Galveston (which are limited but in off peak season) were also about $1500 per person more in November. I'm biting the bullet and paying $4200 more to cruise this October for our first DCL cruise with my family and PRAYING that I think it's worth double the cost (but I'm secretly considering cancelling it to save money....) My family won't let me do that, though! I'm STILL trying to figure out how you guys are getting these GREAT PRICES on DCL!!?? The smallest cost differential I've seen is this fall for $4200 more... I'm just pricing on the computer from the online site. Seriously..... Do you all know something I don't? Maybe I need a better travel agent!

I'll be sure to give feedback after our October cruise on DCL from someone who cruises 2-3 times a year on several other lines!

RCCL is getting expensive as well. We are doing Regal Princess (7-night Eastern) over Thanksgiving in an interior cabin for 3 (which is currently sold out, so I'll use our price). Here are Thanksgiving week cruises:

Regal Princess: $2,086.80 + $300 OBC
Oasis of the Seas: $3,808.07 (no OBC)
Oasis of the Seas: $4,516.13 (no OBC)
Harmony of the Seas: $4,742.60 (no OBC)
Disney Fantasy: $6,439.00 (no OBC) (NOTE: $5,834.79 + $200 OBC if you had OBB)
Carnival Breeze: $2,173.56 (NOTE: This is an Oceanview using the "More Equals Merrier")

My thoughts. The Princess is a wonderful deal that we got. Oasis and Harmony are closer to Fantasy prices, especially if you had OBB credit. You would have to determine if the difference is "worth it" to you. (For us, since we have a lot of OBB, we'd choose the Fantasy over either the Harmony or Oasis, the Allure would make me think). However, if you are going by value, the Breeze is a much better value than any of the others.

However, if money is no object, I'm picking DCL every time! Since money is an object, unfortunately, we'll go with Plan B on the Regal Princess and still have a great time!

Now, all this being said, why is Disney more expensive? Because they can get it from the market. So, apparently, the difference is enough for a number of people. However, the great thing about cruises is that all of these ships will be full and they will all be great experiences. One doesn't have to be "Good" or "Bad"...
It seems like the Harmony prices are going up when they move to Port Canaveral. They can raise the rates and still come in less then DCL. Carnival will be home porting a new ship in pc in 2020. It will be interesting to see how they are all priced. Maybe Disney will have to come down a little to compete.

I always cruise off peak (right after Spring Break and after Colombus Day, and I've also cruised after Thanksgiving and I have cruise booked for the end of January). Each time, I see a 400$ to 1400$ difference for 2 adults with DCL (Carnival, Royal and Celebrity).

Here's a few:

- DCL lets you bring beer on board the ship and you can restock at each port (yes, it was MUCH better a few years ago when you could bring on liquor as well)

- DCL does not charge for the kids clubs at a certain time of the evening ("cough" RCCL "cough")

- DCL does not charge for room service (to be fair, neither does Princess)

- As of yet, there is no charge for the slides on Castaway Cay, unlike how RCCL will charge for use of the facilities at Coco Cay

- DCL extends the Kid's clubs to their private island

- DCL does not make you check out a towel (again, to be fair, Princess does not either)

- DCL provides a shower with tub in all stateroom types (note: with the exception of Handicap rooms)

- DCL has a dedicated Dolby Sound, 3D capable Movie Theater that shows first run movies (to me, this is BY FAR the best perk on DCL. If Star Wars comes out on land on Thursday at Midnight, it will premiere on the ship that same Thursday at Midnight)

I'm not sure about certain points:

-I could be wrong but I believe some other cruise lines let you bring back alcohol on board (Didn't just read that about NCL?)

-Castaway Cay has one or two small slides VS a Waterpark for RCCL...

-Certain Carnival ships (ex: Vista) have IMAX theaters that show first run movies as well. I can't remember if there's a charge, tough. Possibly since it's IMAX

Last edited:
Beg to differ but you don't get this on other lines.

View attachment 389044

It's okay... I'll pass. (Not a fan of hugging strangers in a costume after all LOL).

EDIT: It sounds like some people may have interpreted my reply in a different way that I intended it to be. I would like to make a precision: I was in no way making fun of @darnheather . I was only making fun my own fear of strangers. I'm a sissy (in the "coward" sense, just ask my husband, I fear my own shadow). I've never been comfortable with characters (although I love the pictures I have with them) and I believe I've always been vocal about it on the board but I can not expect every single DISer to remember that.

Last edited:
If DCL was only $100 more - I would cruise it exclusively! If you can find that go for it! My experience has unfortunately been that it's $1000 more per person in off peak season for my family and Alaska was $1,500 per person more in the summer. Cruises out of Galveston (which are limited but in off peak season) were also about $1500 per person more in November. I'm biting the bullet and paying $4200 more to cruise this October for our first DCL cruise with my family and PRAYING that I think it's worth double the cost (but I'm secretly considering cancelling it to save money....) My family won't let me do that, though! I'm STILL trying to figure out how you guys are getting these GREAT PRICES on DCL!!?? The smallest cost differential I've seen is this fall for $4200 more... I'm just pricing on the computer from the online site. Seriously..... Do you all know something I don't? Maybe I need a better travel agent!

I'll be sure to give feedback after our October cruise on DCL from someone who cruises 2-3 times a year on several other lines!
I seriously would not put any stock into this. While we keep reading that DCL is sooooo close to the same price as other cruise lines no one can, or will, post an example. There are plenty of examples on this thread of people showing how DCL is much more but the people who are posting that they know different, that they can get the same product for the same dollars they never post examples. Its like, 'I said it so you should believe it'. I'm certainly not calling anyone a liar as I can't see what they see to be able to say their statements are false but I sure can tell you that no one has proven this point yet. :teacher:
Maybe some day?

Anyways, enjoy your cruise. It is a great one, I just don't believe anymore that its worth the extra. JMO and only worth a penny and a half. :rolleyes:

It would be really good if you could find the information on this and post. I know you said it was done last year but anything you can remember would help. I have been going through RCCL bookings for the last three years and have never seen anything extra that you need to tack on. Anything extra that we would buy extra, say soda package, you don't purchase till after you have booked.
I'm just trying to honestly get my head around this. I see cabin price then taxes then port fees, just the same as I do on DCL. Nothing else. What am I missing? Again, honest question.
All the extras are optional. Soda, specialty restaurants, late night kids clubs, room service. I do none of these on DCL or Royal so it’s a non factor for me. There’s nothing on either cruise line that I have to spend extra on. I spend money on adult beverages, excursions and maybe a souvenir or two. Of course those are also all optional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter