Other benefits of same use year & perks question ??

mimomlile

Mouseketeer
I currently own at OKW, 230 pts, March UY, resale, but grandfathered . I am looking to purchase an additional 50-75 points direct, BWV. I am on the waitlist for same UY.

I really don't have the time or energy to stalk sites, pester agents for months for a resale contract and I think my additional contract size makes the cost difference manageable.

Question about perks: Should I bite the bullet and go for 75 points, rather than 50? I'm not incredibly worried about DVC taking perks away from being grandfathered, but think in the future I might want to sell current contract and buy resale at another resort, or who knows? (I might be answering my own question there.)

Also, I have never had to cancel a vacation. Other than still having time to use points from a cancelled vacation, and of course, the ease of remembering when to bank points, what is the advantage of getting the same UY?

Thank you, in advance.

If you want to keep benefits, if you really use them, you have to keep a qualified contract. UY only comes into play when you want to cancel and bank. You haven't used the free insurance yet but what if you have to someday? Illness, death in family, work issues, military conflict or other. Also keeping track of separate memberships is more work, do people do it, sure but why make extra work and the chance of something going wrong if you don't have a good reason to do so.

:earsboy: Bill

Other than still having time to use points from a cancelled vacation, and of course, the ease of remembering when to bank points, what is the advantage of getting the same UY?

Thank you, in advance.

In my opinion you answered your own question but buying points with the same use year will make things easier. That is the biggest advantage.

I have some pros for multiple UY you may want to consider - (I have 4) - the ability to buy 2 sets of 24 OTU points and to setup 2 more Waitlists

I'm think our changing family dynamic would be better off with a June(?) UY. My youngest is now 12 and it is getting more difficult to pull him out of school. We found ourselves going often in mid-late January, which didn't make sense for our March UY. Now our school system is hit or miss with our semester break 4 day weekend in January. Plus I don't want to pull him out for a few days during exams (before said 4 day weekend) or beginning of a new semester (after said long weekend), so this may be the end of our January trips. I will NEVER-bank on this-go during Spring Break or Christmas, unless it is resort only vacation, no parks.

I just don't see the March UY being so important, but it is actually a better month now than it was in the past. It really hasn't made any difference for the last ten years...

I have some pros for multiple UY you may want to consider - (I have 4) - the ability to buy 2 sets of 24 OTU points and to setup 2 more Waitlists
Can you explain this to me? OTU? I haven't really waitlisted either, so kind of dumb when it comes to the nuances of that system. Thanks!

Can you explain this to me? OTU? I haven't really waitlisted either, so kind of dumb when it comes to the nuances of that system. Thanks!
One Time Use points, or OTU, are points (up to 24) that a membership can purchase to complete a booking at the 7-month mark. The points have no home resort advantage, cannot be banked, and expire at the end of said membership's UY.

ETA: With multiple UYs, you have multiple memberships, each able to purchase up to 24 points at $17/point. Additionally, each membership is able to waitlist two reservations.

One Time Use points, or OTU, are points (up to 24) that a membership can purchase to complete a booking at the 7-month mark. The points have no home resort advantage, cannot be banked, and expire at the end of said membership's UY.

ETA: With multiple UYs, you have multiple memberships, each able to purchase up to 24 points at $17/point. Additionally, each membership is able to waitlist two reservations.
Oh! Thanks! The extra OTU points might come in handy.

Oh! Thanks! The extra OTU points might come in handy.
Just to clarify, I'm not in any way suggesting the extra OTU or waitlists is worth the potential hazards of navigating multiple UYs. Those are just the advantages that were outlined by the previous poster.

I've heard more often from users that if they were to go back, they'd likely do things differently. Having only one UY, I can't speak to that personally.

I think OTU points are worth less as a "benefit" with certain resorts, as they necessitate availability at 7 months. BWV is in the border for the list where I'd shrug as a benefit, particularly booking studios. (The pace horse of that apocalypse is VGC, but BCV and VGF also are a good trifecta bet, particularly where studios are concerned.)

Makes sense, but I don't think two banking deadlines would be incredibly difficult, especially with technology- I could set all kinds of repeating electronic reminders. If I had 4+ UY, that might make it a little more difficult.

I think owning at two resorts will be more of a hassle than two UY, but sometimes we just NEED to be close to SWL.

I think you should get the UY and resort you want. The new points will be Boardwalk, and you're rarely if ever going to combine those with your OKW points to stay somewhere else. BW points will almost always be spent at the BW in the 11 mo window. Also I agree on your logic re: June. It's a great UY that will never go out of style since your kids and your kids' kids will have summers off. I would get the 75 points over just 50.

As long as you're using the new UY contract for it's own specific 11 month booking window you shouldn't have a problem. When you try to transfer points between memberships it can get a little sticky (have to remember which points are banked, borrowed or current). We have 2 UY - June for our June-Nov trips and December for our Dec-May trips. I've occasionally had to make a May booking with our June contracts simply because we have more points there, but I sweat it out until the trip actually takes place. I like the buffer in case of cancellations. If you get 75 points at BWV, that will be a nice summer vacation in a standard studio (and can even take a nice food and wine trip comfortably)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!