OT: How old is too old for bunk beds?

homemaker

Mouseketeer
We are expecting our 5th baby this summer and rapidly running out of room in our house. We have three bedrooms upstairs and a very small bedroom downstairs. Our 4 sons (almost 12, 10, 6,& 3) are paired up between two bedrooms and hubby & I have the other. The plan is to turn the room downstairs (currently a playroom) into a bedroom for our older boys, but we can't fit two beds and dressers in the room. Are they too old to have bunk beds? What would you all do?

In college dorms they put the beds up and put a couch, dresser or desk underneath it. Or they have bunk beds. So I'd say they aren't too old.

I don't think they're too old...but it depends upon the size of your DS12...we got DS10 a loft bed last year....I'm hoping he sleeps up there until high-school age...it would be great if he slept up there thru high-school!! I don't think that's going to happen though...the doctor predicts he'll be about 6 foot 6 inches...so he may not have enough room up there by then. The ceiling is a little too low.

Do you ever get too old for bunk beds? My sister and I had them until we left for college. I think if you get a style that isn't too traditional they may be more excepting of them. It could be helpful if you give them some say in the style they get.

I had bunkbeds in my college dorm room :confused3 You may want to look for extra-long ones so they last longer size-wise. Or you can get ones with a full size on the bottom and twin on the top. In any case get something that's solid wood. The metal pipe ones won't stand up to all those boys for very long.

They're not too old. Just make sure they don't, and won't any time soon, excede the weight limit on the bed. :thumbsup2

Not to old but another idea would be captains beds, the dresser is underneath the bed. My girls used these when they had to share a room. We bought some that had a bookcase headboard, a pull out desk, and 6 drawers. It was an amazing space saver and gave the kids their own personal space. My dds really have a thing about personal space and bunk beds just didnt give them the feel of having their own space. For us, these worked so much better.

A friend of mine had her two son's in bunk beds until they moved out. I think the oldest was 18 when he went to college. Maybe you could get one of those bunk beds that's two full beds instead of twin. If that will fit in the room.

Not to old but another idea would be captains beds, the dresser is underneath the bed. My girls used these when they had to share a room. We bought some that had a bookcase headboard, a pull out desk, and 6 drawers. It was an amazing space saver and gave the kids their own personal space. My dds really have a thing about personal space and bunk beds just didnt give them the feel of having their own space. For us, these worked so much better.

We had these growing up. My brother and I started sharing a room in 1982 when my sister was born and my parents bought us captains beds and I slept on the top for awhile. When my sister was old enough, about 3 or 4 she moved in with me and we shared those beds until I was 15 and we moved into a bigger house and I got a room of my own and new furniture. I think my parents finally got rid of the beds a few years ago. I LOVED them and if it comes to a point where I have to have kids sharing rooms, I will definitely consider this if the rooms aren't big enough for separate beds.

So my say is they aren't too old. I still enjoy sleeping in bunk beds which is rarely.

My sisters and I had bunkbeds until we left home. There were 4 of us in the same room, so we had two sets. Everyone staked out their space and we lived with it. Not ideal by today's standards, but it didn't scar us for life.

I'm sleeping in one now...and I'm 34:rotfl2:

Of course, there's only two of us in our "pod"....so my roommate has the other...

My husband and his roomate had bunkbeds in their apartment in college.

Never thought of anyone being too old for a bunkbed before. Your kids should be fine as long as they are within the weight limits for the bed.

Congratulations on the upcoming arrival of your fifth baby! How exciting :)

I don't think your boys are too old for bunk beds.. they're a great way to save space.

We're in the same boat. 6 kids (5 boys and 1 girl) and 4 bedrooms. Right now we have the baby in our bedroom, but the 4 other boys have bunkbeds (2 boys in each room) and my daughter gets her own room (Not having a sister can have some perks ;) ). We are in the process of trying to reconfigure bedroom arrangements to fit everyone in, but we'll find a way. Everyone always asks us if we're moving soon, but we can't afford it yet and our house isn't that small except for having only 4 bedrooms. I always say "Bigger families have lived in smaller houses and lived to tell the tale!" I just assume my boys will have to deal with having bunkbeds until they move out because it's not like we're moving to a 7-bedroom house anytime soon!

Here is the option is an actual 15 year old boy who has a bunk bed. Please, stop the torture. You
Do realize every single person at school is never going to want to be friends with your child simply because they have a bunk bed right? You do realize it feels belittling to have a bunk bed at 15, right? If your child has a bunk bed and they are 15, your re able to afford a bed, please, please buy them a normal bed, or at least a trundle. It is so terrible having to sleep in a bunk bed. It’s embarrassing, cramped, and not fun at all, whatsoever. Unfortunately, I’m stuck in here until I’m 18. I am moving out the EXACT MINUTE i turn 18 so that I can finally, finally have my own bed. I hope you also know that your child can and will hold a life-long grudge against you if you force them to have a bunk bed.

Ok I know this is an old zombie thread but my girls slept in bunk beds until they were 14/16, and then separated them. If there is not room for separate beds, then bunk beds it is! Ds22 slept on a loft bed until college, he’s 6’1”.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!