OT: Help with son, possible ADHD?

Jessd

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Goes into NASCAR mo
Hi. I was hoping some of you may have some insight.

We are having some issues with our son. He is 10, will be 11 next month.

He has always been an easy going kid, a bit shy and has always been a good student. Starting maybe the beginning of last school year, he has been having some problems.

He seems to forget alot. He doesn't remember assignments given. He has no motivation anymore. He doesn't seem to care if he gets in trouble for not doing his work. We have tried taking privlidges away from him but it doesn't affect anything. He doesn't have a behavior problem, he doesn't get in trouble in school or anything. He doesn't have many friends because he mostly keeps to himself. A big problem is that he lies all the time. He is given these assignments once a week, a packet for Language Arts. They had the packets last year and he has the same teacher this year. I figured that they would possibly have the same sort of assignments so I kept asking him about it. He said that the teacher wasn't giving them. Well, here comes a grade check in the mail and he wasn't turning them in and was getting an F. I called his teacher, who is an amazing man and he said that he will let him make them up. He thinks DS has a real talent for writing. Making up the work will bring his grade back up to an A because they were very big assignments. We went through all of this last year too, same class, same missing assignments.

His lying is starting to be a big problem. It has gotten to the point that I don't know if he is telling me the truth when he tells me something. He seems to be in his own world sometimes. He is also very figity. It seems like he can't keep his hands still, like they have a life of their own. He cannot sit still.

I took him to a therapist, she thinks that he may have some kind of hyperactivity disorder, but didn't want to test when I mentioned ADD or ADHD. She wasn't much help, she kinda drifted out of the picture and then wasn't returning my calls. I want to find someone else to take him to but am not sure what I need to be asking them. My SIL is about 20 years old and acts exactly the same way. She acts just like he does. Could it be something inherited?

Does anyone have any advice? I don't know what to ask or what kind of doctor to take him to.

Sorry to ramble on, but I didn't know where else to go for advice.

Thanks,

Jess

My DD(9, 10 in Feb) was just diagnosed ADD on Friday. She has had forgetful moments and distracted moments in class before this year. I had mentioned attention problems to teachers before. Most of her teachers thought it could be maturity ( K,1,2). Her third grade teacher picked up on a little more with her organizational problems. Well, it hit the fan in 4th grade. She just couldn't stay focused enough to finish the workload. She made 2 A's and 4 B's, but 3 were almost C's ( 80) She can read above grade level, but was not finishing her books. She finally told me it was because she couln't concentrate and keep her place or that something would distract her. She would also lie and forget to bring home homework. I finally called her Pediatrician and he had her teachers and myself fill out a Conner's rating scale. Boy! You could immediately tell from the 3 forms that she had ADD tendencies and no hyperactivity. He spoke with my DD and asked her the problems she thought she had and how school was going. He then asked me ALOT of questions. He then explained with drawings what medication could do for DD. We started Concerta on Monday and my DD was so excited after school! She had finished all her classwork, had read without having to re-read and didn't get in trouble for talking. She had even made a data sheet so she could rate how her focus, reading and distactablity was in the am and pm. So far so good. From what I understand many kids can cope with the workload until 4th grade and then the ADHD problems can show up. Try speaking with his regular pediatrician. If he can't diagnose, then maybe he can refer you to a different psychologist or psychiatrist? Good luck! :wave:

Have you ever heard of aspergers syndrome. I'm in the process of getting my son evaluated. He's 7. I bring it up because you say your son doesn't have many friends. There is a big social problem with it... Just something to look into. If he were to have it, the anxiety of it not being addressed may cause other problems. It can be hereditary. I think I have it, too. HTH!

Hi, it sounds like things were pretty good in the past if I am reading your post correctly. You say he has always been a good student and the problems started just last year. My son has ADD, but I have known since he was a toddler that things weren't quite right with him! I just have to question the ADD thing as it doesn't just pop up, it is something that kids are born with.

Could your son be going through some kind of depression?? You mention the lying, and some of the behavior changes sound like something a depressed person may have. (forgetfullness, lack of motivation, not caring about being punished, losing priviliges, fidgeting - maybe stress, just in the blahs it sounds like) It sounds like he doesn't have many friends and this may be part of it, too. I have been told repeatedly by psychiatrists that in kids, depression can actually show iteself as ADD and ADD symptoms.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Just a thought as I have been thru it all. I would be leary of the ADD diagnosis. Be very careful about any meds, too. (for ADD or depression)

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Just to clarify, my DD has always had some issues. When I say ADHD can show up, I mean that depending on the classroom environment and teachers style, a mild ADD student can blend in. My DD's 1st and second grade classrooms were chaos. Lots of centers and manipulatives, lots of movement around the room, lots of short stimulating activities. Her 3rd grade class was more structured and so she had issues with being distracted, off task and talking too much. She also has been very disorganized ( she comes by that honestly ;) ) She has been through occupational therapy for handwriting issues and vision therapy because her eyes didn't work together. She also had Speech therapy for s and s blend distortions. Since I am a special education teacher of intellectually disabled students, her issues did not seem all that significant and her grades were good in school as was her conduct. She has never seemed to listen, but that is what I am used to anyway. She is bright and I believe she has been able to cope with the mild ADD problems until the increased workload and very structured 4th grade classroom environment made the ADD issues . They have to stay seated and on task. They do not get 3 or 4 reminders. Her ITBS scores were not good as she daydreamed and did not finish or attempt enough questions. Her CRCT test was good as the time limit was much longer. My DD has written a thank you note to her doctor. She says now she feels "normal".

I would start by talking to your Pediatrician they are the ones who should be aware of the syndonomes that can affect our children. If he has no clue get a referral!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter