OT - Arlington National Cemetery

JudithM

DIS Veteran
I had an opportunity yesterday to visit Arlington National Cemetery. I called the day before to find out about hanidcapped parking, bringing cameras, etc. Some government tourist areas in DC have special requirements for those using a tripod with their camera - none here as long as you are not a professional photographer.

When we drove to the Cemetery entance, security saw my handicapped tag & stopped us to tell us about getting the special parking permit at the Visitor's Center. The process was very easy. I took my handicapped hanging tag with me, the security lady added my name & number to a list, I signed my name & she handed me a parking pass.

We could have parked in the parking lot ($1.25 for the first three hours & I think $2 for each additional hour) & taken the Tourmobile ($6) or walked through the Cemetery. With the permit, we were able to drive through the Cemetery. The lady gave me a map & highlighted the roads to use & the parking spots.

We stopped first at the Kennedy graves. Handicapped signs for parking were obvious. There are a few steps to JFK's gravesite, but the access to the steps is accessible. On our way to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier we stoped briefly at the monument to the USS Maine. At the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier the parking was right in front of the Amphitheater (the tomb is directly behind it). Nearby our parking spot were the grave of Audie Murphy & the memorials to the Challenger & Columbia shuttles & the Iran Rescue Mission in 1980. Our last stop was near the Arlington/Lee House. We didn't visit the house, but we stopped at the monument to those who died in the bombing of Pan AM 103.

If you have an opportunity to visit Arlington National Cemetery & have a handicapped parking permit, don't hesitate.

Thanks for the information.
I would not have thought that you would be able to drive through, so that is very useful information.
in fact, your post (plus a few other ones where people reported their experiences in other places) made me think wee should have a thread of links so this info doesn't get lost.

Sue normally the only ones allowed to drive through are family members of people buried there. I have a pass for that as my parents, god parents, brother, aunt and her husband are all buried there i different areas of the cemetary. I'm glad they also extend this to those with handicaps.

Talking Hands said:
Sue normally the only ones allowed to drive through are family members of people buried there. I have a pass for that as my parents, god parents, brother, aunt and her husband are all buried there i different areas of the cemetary. I'm glad they also extend this to those with handicaps.
::yes::

We get passes as well because of numerous relatives buried there. However, you CAN get passes in other circumstances as well. If you have small children, a special need that isn't technically a "handicap", the desk will give out passes.

Mary

Good to know that they will accommodate families with small children as well. Only thing I have a problem with are the tourists that walk over the graves of people buried there. Go between or us paths if they are available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!