Ornery Husband

ditzoyd

Earning My Ears
My wonderful husband surprised me with a trip to Walt Disney World for my birthday Dec.1 to Dec. 7... Our first trip without our children!

:D

However, here is my concern. He broke a bone in his ankle over a year ago. He has had surgery on it, and it did not work. He has to have a bone replacement surgery which he is putting off until after the New Year. We have been to Disney since his injury and he was SUCH a Grumble because the extended walking...

I recomended that he rent a ECV, ( I have a lower back issue, and cant push a wheel chair)

He down right Refuses... I think he doesnt want to admit that he needs help, and worries what people will say seeing a healthy 35 year old man (firefighter to boot) sitting on a ECV. ;)

I thought about getting a Geust Assistant Card so he wouldnt have to be standing on his ankle for prolonged periods of time. Or, should I just not worry about it... I am not sure how crowds are at that time.:confused:

I would really hate for him to be in alot of pain for the trip, and being a typical man ;) he would not tell me because he wouldn't want me to worry about him.....

Any suggestions?

Hi, first just so jealous a trip without kids. I would do fast pass as much as possible. The crowds are pretty light the first two weeks of December. I would imagine a lot of the rides will be walk-on. If a GAC would help, I personally would get it. You husband sounds like the kind of guy who would not use it unless needed. What a nice thing to do. Have a good time.

Welcome to our board. :) Click on the disABILITIES FAQ link in my signature for a description of the GAC, and also look at the sections on pacing... then talk about it with your husband. This is supposed to be quality time together, not some kind of test of endurance. If he is in pain from overuse, or wears himself out early in the day, how are you supposed to have those fun, romantic evenings together? :D :D :D And if you have to slow yourself down to let him rest all teh time, will that be a good thing (smell the roses and watch the show) or a bad thing (get frustrated because there was so much you wanted to do and you can't because he is too proud)? You really do have to talk about these things and decide what is right for your family.

I hope your husband reconsiders renting an ECV - either at the parks or from a company outside WDW. For my husband & me using an ECV has helped tremendously. I have a knee condition which was diagnosed a little over a year ago. I started reading this bb about the same time. It was folks on this bb that made me realize that it is ok for a "healthy looking" person to use a wheelchair or an ECV. I wouldn't want my husband to spend his vacation pushing me in a wheelchair. The ECV keeps me somewhat independent. Renting an ECV is good use of $30 a day ($40 minus the $10 deposit each day).

Another thought - you could share the ECV in case your back needs a break from all the walking!

I sort of know how he feels. Externally I look like a healthy man. The first time I asked my doctor about the possibility of his signing an application for a handicap tag for me, his attitude was "what took you so long to ask". Now when I go to WDW I will rent an ECV from off-site to keep me out of the pai. He can get all the exercise he wants when it takes it apart and puts it in the trunk of the car, or takes it out to reassemble it. And as JudithM says, if he really feels healthy and you are sore from your back, you can use it instead. BTW, when you are down there I will also be, possibly having an air horn this time.

He sounds like my FIL. He's really needed hip and knee replacements for at least 10 years. No way would he rent an ecv or use a GAC (even though his grand daughter uses a wheelchair). If he won't use an ecv, think of other things that might help, like a cane (or a nice walking stick that looks sporty, not medicinal. That would take some weight off his ankle if he won't agree to anything else.
Here are the places for off site rental of ecvs:
CARE Medical Equipment - 1-800-741-2282
www.caremedicalequipment.com

RANDY'S Mobility in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://www.randysmobility.com/

Walker Medical - 1-800-334-9501
www.walkermobility.com

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

We have never been to WDW at that time, but I have heard it is pretty quiet. So with using fastpasses and pacing yourselves you should be able to do a lot without becoming commados. One of the things that people don't realize is how much walking is involved in a day at the parks. Just to go around WS one time is over a mile! Take advantage of the attractions that are also transportation - the train at MK, the Friendship boats at Epcot and the horse drawn trolley and motorcars at MK.
Since it's just the 2 of you, take time to stop and smell the roses (and look at all the really neat Christmas decorations). If he won't use an ecv, you can still end up having a good time as long as you take it easy.

I know how your husband feels. It's a man thing!!! Once he gets in the ECV he will love it and the freedom from pain will be enough to shut him up. Yesterday was the first day in 13 years I took my scooter into work with me. I was really nervous about what people would think. It was a pretty good experience, actually the only problem I had was people wanting to take a ride on it! I told everybody it wasn't going to be an everyday thing, and they told me I was stupid because of the freedom it gives me. I usually sit at my desk all day with no breaks or lunch. Yesterday I think I was at my desk for a total of 2 hours. LOL.

Your husband will be gald he rented an ECV. Just get it ordered and have it at the lobby of your hotel when you check in. tell him to USE IT AND ENJOY IT!!!!!

Have a great time I'm Jealous!!!

If all he is concerned is that people will wonder why a healthy looking person is in an ECV, have him wear a fake bandage on his leg, or carry and pretend to use a cane.

If, early into the day, he really grumbles about walking, his foot is in pain which means he is entitled to use mobility aids regardless of what he or anyone else thinks.

Normally persons using ECV's enter the same ride lines as everybody else. If the ECV won't fit between the rope barriers, or if the queueing area has stairs, the CM in charge should offer a different way in with less time standing with or without a fast pass.

If he doesn't want anyone to see he is disabled, I don't have any good suggestions.

(Did he have to retire from firefighting?)

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 PORiv
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp planned
*no longer exists

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter