Orlando Airport

Cone-Of-Shame

Earning My Ears
Since this is our first trip to Disney World and to Orlando, how do things work at the airport regarding customs. We want to bring snacks and chocolate which I assume is okay but do we have to declare it?

yes, it has to be declared....you're allowed to bring in snacks and chocolate (but fresh fruit is NOT allowed)..
but you have to declare it all..

your not allowed to bring in dairy either

there's actually a lot of stuff you can't bring in..
but if you declare that you have food with you, and you accidentally have something you shouldn't, they won't throw the book at you since you did declare it.

We made a mistake one year, but i declared food and told them what it was.
All they did was confiscate it..... and then throw it out in a very amusing way - they put on this hysterically funny hazmat suit and lifted the stuff out like it was nuclear waste and dropped it into what looked exactly like a bomb disposal unit - all in all most entertaining...but only because i openly told them about it. Had i not, i think it would have been a $10,000 fine!!

Thanks for the replies. It'll mostly be breakfast bars, etc that we can take for a snack around the parks. We've never been on a holiday where we have brought snacks before so we've never had to declare anything so it'll be something new to experience. I just wanted to check since I assume countries have different custom rules and I didn't want to make any mistakes.

Hi

The border officer will ask you if you are bring in food (we had a sandwich) they mark your customs entry card, which means you have to go through another route to 'have it checked' which in our case was confiscation and thrown away. So I guess the advice is don't bring food in.

The supermarkets (i.e Pulix's) have more choice than you will ever need for snacks etc. (we do bring in tea bags in our suitcase :-)) we always buy cut fruit from Publix to take in.

By the way remember the parks have very rigorous bag checks so the plainer the backpack (only one pocket) and put your stuff in clear zip lock bags, will save you time getting in (and you'll get a thanks from the security person at WDW).

Regards

Paul

Due to my son's ASD and the lets just say his interesting issues with food, we took a load of snacks last time -

Mostly Barney Bears and we declared them, it was fun trying to explaining what they are.

I should have just said sponge cake with jam but due to jet lag and a cranky 3 year old, I prattled on about a bear and how it's paw are a different cake color to the rest of the cake and other such nonsense lol

But as they were in a sealed box and individually wrapped that seemed to be okay.

Although we'll probably take less next time as on the trip we discovered he like the Disney short bread cookies and banana snack cakes from Walmart.

Hi

The border officer will ask you if you are bring in food (we had a sandwich) they mark your customs entry card, which means you have to go through another route to 'have it checked' which in our case was confiscation and thrown away. So I guess the advice is don't bring food in.

The supermarkets (i.e Pulix's) have more choice than you will ever need for snacks etc. (we do bring in tea bags in our suitcase :-)) we always buy cut fruit from Publix to take in.

By the way remember the parks have very rigorous bag checks so the plainer the backpack (only one pocket) and put your stuff in clear zip lock bags, will save you time getting in (and you'll get a thanks from the security person at WDW).

Regards

Paul

We're staying at Pop Century so how close are the local supermarkets? We don't have a car so will have to walk or use public transport.

We're staying at Pop Century so how close are the local supermarkets? We don't have a car so will have to walk or use public transport.

you said you want to bring breakfast bars and that's fine.
Not so sure i would bring chocolate, as it will melt the moment the plane touches down in very hot orlando.

pop century itself sells some stuff.

to get to a supermarket, you could take uber. I wouldn't try getting there by bus.

if you go to one of the DVC resorts, which you can get to by disney transportation - they have a very nice selection of food and snacks.

There is a supermarket at Crossroads, walking distance from DS. I think it is still open, its expensive but slightly cheaper than the on site stores.
We usually bring breakfast bars, I pack them in my check in bags and - don't tell, but I've never declared them :rolleyes1never thought about it tbh. Always prepacked and sealed.
Maybe I've just been lucky:littleangel:

crossroads may be walking distance theoretically, but if you're in orlando in the summer, i don't recommend walking that far.
there's a convenience store in the gas station just by the entrance to the boardwalk inn.
You could go there.

The Goodings (that's the name of the store) at Crossroads is a tourist trap.
it has a limited inventory, mostly geared towards tourists, and beware of the sticker shock ... I've found some items to be less expensive at the hotel's little store than at this *supermarket*

if you're going for basics, you might as well go to the speedway service station that's just opposite the marketplace at Disney Springs (or as Beth advised, the one across from the Boardwalk, same service station chain)
I wouldn't walk to Crossroads from Disney Springs. The heat would be too unbearable for us, even though it's only 25/30 minutes from DS, it's still too much on top of the walking in parks.

If you want a more efficient and satisfying shopping run take a Uber to the walmart on vine street in kissimme. that's around $15 each way with UberX. That won't be cheaper than walking to Crossroads, but you'd have a larger selection, especially if you need specific items. Don't try to use the Lynx (bus) you'd be in for up to 3hrs round trip.

The DVC advice is good, they usually have a wider selection, and even if the prices are higher than at the stores, the time saved, as well as not paying for transportation will offset that cost overhead.

Your other option is to have food delivered to your hotel.
You can use Garden Grocers ($40 minimum order, $14 delivery fee, 10% off if ordered more than 60 days in advance)
but you now can have items delivered FOC, in 2 hours by using Amazon Prime Now
you might be able to sign up for a free prime trial on the US amazon (if you're not already a customer of their US prime) in which case don't forget to cancel after use.
When you're a member, you can order online and be delivered in 2 hours without fee, direct at your hotel (you can even order from the airport or on the way to the resort on the magical express if you have data in the US :) )
Disney might put a $5 delivery fee on every box shipped to a hotel (convention center or regular) but it seems that Gargen Grocers and Prime Now are exempt from the fee, for the time being.

As far as declaring the food. Many people don't declare, and get away with it.
But, if you get caught, and even if the food is admissible, if you failed to declare, you're in for a good lecture and a not so very nice talk-down from an officer. Not the best way to start the vacations after a long flight with cranky kids and fed up parents.
So, declare, it's free ... :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll probably just try and take a few boxes of snack bars and declare them, if they take them off me then so be it. I was only thinking about a box or two. The chocolate was actually a gift for a friend, we usually send each other a gift every year with food from each country ( me England, her America) but this year we're going to meet up at Disney World so I thought I'd bring her a few things to try, hopefully they'll make it if not then it doesn't really matter, it's the thought that counts!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll probably just try and take a few boxes of snack bars and declare them, if they take them off me then so be it. I was only thinking about a box or two. The chocolate was actually a gift for a friend, we usually send each other a gift every year with food from each country ( me England, her America) but this year we're going to meet up at Disney World so I thought I'd bring her a few things to try, hopefully they'll make it if not then it doesn't really matter, it's the thought that counts!

bring as many boxes of snack bars as you like..
they're allowed...no problem..

and do note the post of the previous poster...that's a very good point...do not bring in those kinder eggs with the toys inside....they're not allowed in the US (i'll save my editorial comments for later)...having said that, i always bring some in for the little cousins who love them...and the US nanny state ban is ridiculous...so far, they haven't been confiscated.....(i guess i didn't save my editorial comments for later :) )

just a word, because lots of people don't suspect this.

Never bring Kinder Surprise in the US. They're banned, will be confiscated and may be subject to very heavy fines.

Yes I did know about that but thanks for checking! I have sent food to her through the post before so I have an idea what they allow and not.

bring as many boxes of snack bars as you like..
they're allowed...no problem..

and do note the post of the previous poster...that's a very good point...do not bring in those kinder eggs with the toys inside....they're not allowed in the US (i'll save my editorial comments for later)...having said that, i always bring some in for the little cousins who love them...and the US nanny state ban is ridiculous...so far, they haven't been confiscated.....(i guess i didn't save my editorial comments for later :) )

It's mainly Cadburys chocolate because she loves it and who can blame her, I'm not being biased but I think our chocolate is much better! :teeth:

As I said if I get it taken off me it isn't the worst thing, I'd rather try and not get it through than not try at all.

Who can blame her indeed!
How wonderful to be able to meet up, chocolate or no chocolate.
Have fun. pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!