Orlando Airport, Disney Magical Experience & Pop Century Resort experience using my wheelchair.

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Orlando Airport, Disney Magical Experience & Pop Century Resort experience using my wheelchair.

I started off departing from the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport using the train system of subway called M.A.R.T.A. that has a station built into the airport directly across from Baggage Claim.

I check my luggage, except for my wheelchair and go through T.S.A. security without incidence. I proceeded to my Delta Gate and let the Delta staff know that I would like my folded electric wheelchair loaded when I board in the gateway. They had the form I had filled out on their computer.

I also carried this copy from my wheelchair company showing that my Lithium-Ion Batteries were built into the frame of the wheelchair and was approved to fly in the cabin or in the underneath storage.

I found a seat and proceeded to prepare my wheelchair. It takes me a while to get everything just right and it is easier for me to sit down to do all of this instead of waiting to get to the Delta door entrance at the end of the gateway.

First I took off my joystick, shown on the seat, and placed it in my backpack with my other medical supplies like the charger, C.P.A.P. machine. This is the only time I remove a part of the wheelchair. It folds up into one piece.

So here it is folded. I'll take off the backpack now and put a protective cover that I bought from the company that sold me my wheelchair.

This is what takes me a while to do. I have to make sure I slide it over the wheelchair so that it is nice and snug sitting down while I have it in the free wheel mode. Sliding the large velcro part underneath is hard because it catches and sticks on the carpet. I can't quite reach it myself, so I use my cane to push it underneath and then tightly attach it together. The Delta staff can now roll it down the gateway next to the Delta plane's door entrance to store under the plane. There are grab handles on all sides and on the top with a shoulder handle for them to grab.

And yes, they seem to have thrown it on the planes loading belt, but what can you do. No harm done since my wheelchair is constructed well and I have the protective cover.

This is just another map not from Disney showing the Satellite Buildings.

So I arrived, at Orlando International Airport and received my wheelchair and I sat down to remove the cover and put everything ready to go. I have my Disney Magicband on and I took out my Disney Magical Express Letter to see the map on the back. I don't have to worry about my luggage since they will be delivered to my room at Disney Pop Century Resort after I check in. I'll take some photos along the way.

Last edited:
Page Two.

As I exited my Orlando Gate, I rolled past some of the wheelchairs that they use for other guests without their own mobility devices. These do not belong to Disney Magical Express. So make sure you go online with your Airline and fill out a form when making your airline reservations for wheelchair assistance at each airport. Request that the airport employee rolls you to pick up your checked luggage if needed and/or to the Disney Magical Express counter to board the bus. Don't forget to tip them. I don't think this is their routine, so having your D.M.E. map with you may help a new employee.

I made it to Orlando Airport's Shuttle Tram system to the main part of the airport. The signs above you will guide you to the center area. The arched area on the right and left are where the shuttle tram arrives. The far right and left area is where the guests' exit. So roll to the center where you see a person in the center and wait for the next shuttle arriving on the left or right side and enter any of the open doors.

I waited for one shuttle tram to fill up for the second one and only one person was on the tram with me. There are bench type seats at the end of the tram. I just rolled into the tram and backed up next to one of the hand holding poles. It was a quick and smooth ride.

Directly behind me is the shuttle tram and I have reached the edge and looking forward to my left where I will exit. I am also looking at the Orlando International Airport's T.S.A. area where guests have finished going through security. This T.S.A. area extends for one side to the other side. But I am heading to the exit on the far left.

This is one of the first signs that I see after exiting to the left side of the T.S.A. area. Whether you go left or right depends on which Satellite Building you use the shuttle tram from. Remember there are four Satellite Buildings if you look at the map.

At the top of the sign, you may be able to see Green "B" and an Orange "A". You will also see the numerical numbers 1, 2, and 3 representing the three different floors of the airport.

When I exit the shuttle tram I am on Floor One, and since I don't need to go to Baggage Claim on Floor Two, I go to Floor One where the Disney Magical Express location is located. Which either way that you go there will be elevators and escalators and stairs along each floor along the way. I am on the
Green "B" side.

I'll be heading out take some photos to my left as I enter the Atrium to see the T.S.A. area from their entrance side.

This is just another different map of the layout for Orlando International Airport.

I am in the Atrium now looking at folks lined up to go through T.S.A. Security Check. There is a mirror view on the left of this. On the far left, I believe the large letter "C" stands for the those signed up for ClEAR Security and to the left of that are several lines for T.S.A. PreCheck and in the center or left are the regular T.S.A. lines. I am going back to my right to look for the elevators.

And right away, here is another sign above showing where everything is located. It is hard to see, but there are an elevator and stair symbol next to the work "Escalators. I am still on the third floor with the Atrium and T.S.A. area.

After I rolled straight ahead I see these three elevators. And these are located on each of the three floors in several places along each floor. From where I am now, I have to travel all of the way to the other end of the airport to reach Disney Magical Express on Floor One.

Attachments

• 1563093355380.png
    1563093355380.png
    443.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Page Three.

When looking from one end to the other the hallway seems endless. You can look at one of the maps to see. It may look small on a map, but when you are there it seems to be quiet of distance. For a newbie, you might think that you made a mistake, but you haven't made a mistake, it is just a long walk. At least for me when I used to only use a walking cane.

A closer look at the elevators and sign before heading from Level 3 to Level 1.

I am on the Level One and heading to the very end to reach the Disney Magical Express Counter. On the left, I see a Starbucks Coffee counter and all along the right are Car Rental Stations. I don't know about you, but I can't see the end of this walkway...ha...ha...!

I made it. The end of the walkway and here is the Disney Magical Express check-in line with five queues to check in with either your Magicband, D.M.E. letter of resort reservation that they can look up on their computer to see the D.M.E. info that you signed up for.

Once you pass here, the cast member will guide you to one of many lines for your resort or wheelchair to get on your bus.

All wheelchairs and mobility scooter are directed to the queue labeled "A" with the handicap symbol. You can see to the right are other queues by resorts.

Then three lines next to me are #1 for the Fort Wilderness Campground, the Grand Floridian Resort, and the Polynesian Villa Resorts.

#2 for the Bay Lake Towers Resort, the Contemporary Resort, and the Wilderness Lodge Resort.

I saw this one large group come in at the same time.

I believe that there are eleven different queues altogether. This photo is empty because I took it after my vacation very early in the morning.

Last edited:
Page Four.

I thought that I would take a tour around the Disney Magical Express area. This photo is taken further to my right in relation to the last photo. You might be able to see the #1 and A, handicap queue on the far left.

Straight ahead at the far end of the building is the Magical Express Check-In area.

And finally to the far right the escalator. Out of view to the left are the restrooms and on the opposite side of the restrooms are the set of three elevators across from the D.M.E. check-in area.

Moving a little further to my right, you might be able to see one of the restrooms with the handicap symbol for accessibility.

For a broader view, I moved further to my right so now you may be able to see both bathrooms with the two water fountains in the center and to the Disney Magical Express lines to the very far left. Behind this on the other side are the bank of three elevators.

Turning around 180-degrees from the bank of elevators, I see this sign on a column.

They list a minimum of at least 11-Rental Car Counter along the long hallway.

MEARS Shuttle to the right.

The Disney Magical Express counter immediately to the left.

And other shuttles and buses, etc.

Time for me to load the Disney Magical Express bus to Disney Pop Century Resort using the wheelchair lift.

I really, really dislike holding anyone up to just take photos, so I took some of these photos very early in the morning when I finished my vacation when no was loading and just dropping guest off at the Orlando International Airport.

Attachments

• 1563096797733.png
    1563096797733.png
    322.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1563096826551.png
    1563096826551.png
    322.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Page Five.

My Disney Magical Express driver was very nice and helpful. He has just opened the door to the wheelchair lift and making preparations to use it. The bus is too high to use a ramp, so they use a built-in wheelchair lift.

He pulls down and out the wheelchair lift before lowering it all of the way to the ground.

This the front view of the bus lift before I back up. They also put a safety chain in front of me and the wheelchair. Above you can see another yellow chain where the lift and my wheelchair will end up before backing inside.

There is a tiny fold-out ramp that connects from the ground to the lift. The lift has side ridges to prevent rolling off the lift and once on the lift completely yellow handrails to hold onto.

A little higher view shows the interior of the bus where the lift is stored when not in use.

A closer look at the bus entrance for the lift. The bus restroom door into the left and blocks a little bit of the entrance and they ask you to back up straight and when entering the doorway move just a little to the right if this picture. Then you can turn, backup more and roll forward into the tie-down area. There is enough room for at least two mobility vehicles and several of the rear rows are made to slide along a metal track to allow more room. These seats are not available to be sat in since they are up against the row in front of them.

If for some reason a newbie driver leaves the tie-down chocks in the floor, ask him to remove them so you can back up and enter the bus. This happened to me one time and I didn't know what I was hitting because it was against my rear wheel. The driver kept trying to tell me to move left or right, but space was a little tight and make it harder for me to maneuver my wheelchair since I couldn't see behind me.

Once in my proper space, he places the four tie downs on the floor to tie down your mobility vehicle.

Just take your time. Use a mirror if you have one and back up and roll forward slowly until you are in your space whether inside the bus or on the lift.

I am on the bus in my space on the same side of the bus lift and right to the front and beside the lift with the bathroom door behind me. Those two orange levels are used to move the row in front of me forward to allow room for me sitting in my wheelchair.

To the left of me is the opposite row and you might be able to see the metal track on the floor where the bus driver can move the seat roo forward to the end of the track. This seat is in the normal position for anyone to sit in since I was the only wheelchair onboard.

I am now tied down and he is about to add my seatbelt and then we will be ready to go. I had an experienced driver and it was very quick to load and tie down.

Behind me is the curved bathroom door. Guests had plenty of room to open and close the door without hitting the back of my wheelchair.

This is one of the things the driver tests before tying me down. I still had plenty of room for my feet in the photo above.

Now I am looking straight ahead. Using the Disney Magical Express, sometimes I am loaded first or loaded last. It doesn't really make a difference to me. This time you can see the bus is empty and the driver loaded everyone else last. He brought me out before the other came out and before loading their luggage.

I know when I am being picked up from Disney Pop Century Resort the bus always seems to have folks on them and then goes straight to the airport. Of course, experiences may be different for others.

When returning to the Orlando International Airport via D.M.E., I also have heard that if you are traveling by yourself without your own wheelchair, you could call your airline for a skycab to please bring you a wheelchair and staff to help take you to your airline gate. I have also some guests have asked their D.M.E. driver to please call ahead to their supervisor to get the airline to bring you a wheelchair since D.M.E. is not responsible for wheelchairs.

If you require a wheelchair, please contact your airline in advance and they should be able to provide a wheelchair for your use within the airport.

Skycaps are available to assist passengers. Typical services include curbside check-in, carrying baggage, wheelchair assistance, etc. Please contact your particular airline to arrange for assistance from its skycaps. It is customary to tip skycaps for services provided.

Last edited:
Page Six.

I am ready to go to Disney World.

In the back is a diagram of the area that I am in relation to the space, lift and door and bathroom.

I exited the bus. They let the guests off first this time and let them unload their luggage, then after everyone was off, the driver helped me off using the Disney Magical Express Bus. I checked in quickly and received my room number and prepared to check out my room.

Immediately to the left and out of site is the Pop Century Resort Luggage Counter. I always like to leave this way after letting the Luggage staff know that I have my room and that can deliver whenever they get a chance.

No hurries...I am on vacation.

So this photo is to the right. It shows all of the Disney Preferred mobility scooter and wheelchair providers park their mobility devices.

There are a lot of them.

I rolled down and looked in the opposite direction toward the Disney Pop Century Resort drop off the entrance with the Luggage Counter around the corner on the right at the end of the row.

I think most folks would be surprised that most Preferred Disney Mobility Vendors leave their rental units out in the open to the weather.

I have seen the Pop cast members wipe them down before rolling them to the renter.

As I turn around to look in the back there is the Disney Pop Century Resort's Disney Magical Express Luggage check-in area in the mornings. It is empty now because it is closed in the afternoon when I arrived.

I was in no hurry so I like to check their "Airline Check-in" sign.

Please check their Hours of Operation from 5:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.

They are very strict about these hours.

If you miss them for whatever reason, you have to bring your D.M.E. letter to the Disney Magical Express to board and carry your luggage to check them in yourself at the Orlando International Airport. And if you don't print your own ticket, you will have to do the same at the Orlando International Airport.

I am not very good at using my phone and I like to have a paper ticket.

The next morning after breakfast, there was a line. I usually get up and get there just before they open for breakfast to avoid the lines. But I am by myself. It would be a lot harder with a family and children.

I almost made a mistake last time and I had a flight boarding at 8:20 A.M.

Well, I was told that I could use it because I had to be there about three hours before and that even though they were open at 5:00 A.M. that their computers wouldn't be ready.

My Disney Magical Express was for arriving at the D.M.E. bus at 5:20 A.M.

Well that cast member was wrong and I arrived at 5:00 A.M. and the Pop Century cast members said no problem and took my luggage and gave me my ticket.

But...I am still going to be careful about departing Pop when using D.M.E. from now on.

I don't think that I will buy a return ticket before 9:00 A.M. But that is just me. Opinions will certainly vary.

I always stay in Disney Pop Century Resort's Building #10 with the "Big Wheel" and stay in a Standard Roll-In Shower Room.

This is an old map since the Disney Pop Century Resort Reburbishment, but all of the room number locations are the same. But NOT the connecting rooms or King Bedrooms, etc. But it is nice to see where your room number is located in the building.

My room is ready. This is my wheelchair parked in front of the Folded Queen Murphy Bed. Plenty of room for just me. I just got a call and my luggage is on the way. Then I can take a shower and head out to look around the resort and buy my Disney Mug and later have dinner and rest for tomorrow morning.

I'll be going in December 2019 again if you have any requests for info or photos

Last edited:

Ray! Another awesome, detailed post! :) I know that's going to be so helpful for folks in the future, to show the entire process!

Quick thought: On the Velcro that goes across the bottom of your chair cover: If I were you, I would grab a roll of blue painter's tape the same width (or maybe slightly wider even) as the Velcro. Cover the Velcro with the painters tape before you try to wrap that flap under the chair - now the tape prevents the Velcro from sticking to the carpet! You can carefully pull it back off when it's time to use the cover again, and "store" the tape strip on the inside of the flap next to the Velcro to re-use it for the trip home again! Just an idea! :)

Does Orlando still have the manual wheelchairs that you can push on your own if you want, or did they completely convert to the kind that‘s attendant-only pushing?

Last year I only saw what was in the photo in my post above. I will look again when I go in December 2019. Maybe someone else can come along to give you an answer. I guess they use them because of the wheels automatically locking when the attendant releases their hands from the transport chair.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!