Organize Your Scrap Space - 2010 Edition - Week 5 It's All About the Photos

Hello! After every Mousefest, I end up with a bunch of stuff like lanyards, magnets and pins that just don't go in a scrapbook very well. All the paper stuff, maps, trip reports, schedules, even business cards, are put in pockets at the back of my scrapbook for that particular trip, but I have been accumulating bags of this lumpy stuff. So what I decided to do is use cork squares to put all of the pins on, along with some stickers and decorative items, and then put the cork square in a one of the 12 x 12 scrapbook/memorabilia frames. I started on this project last night, and I do have 2004 all neatly organized in a frame. I am going to add my 2005 stuff to it as well, but I did leave a few empty spots in my scrapbook for scans of the pins, and haven't actually gotten around to scanning them. I did end up throwing out a bunch of stuff that just simply didn't hold the memories I thought it would.

My next attempt at organizing stuff is to take all the stuff from the fish extender on my 2008 Disney cruise that I got and put that on some cork squares. Eventually I will arrange it all in a nice wall display.

I just found this thread an am fascinated! I take the pins and use the dremel tool to remove the pin and sand down the back. Then it is usually thin enough to fit in the album without creating too much bulk.

I just found this thread. Great job organizing ladies!! You are inspiring me to really think about my next scrapbook space.

In about 3 weeks, I get to reorganize my scrapbook/craft/sewing stuff into a new room!! We are getting rid of our guest room (eek!) by giving DS a queen sized bed and putting a twin bed in my new scrapbook room for single visitors.

I would love some help with figuring out how to organize and best use the space. I get to start from scratch in terms of placement of furniture/shelves/tools. I'll sketch out the room over the next few days and give a list of my current (mostly IKEA!!) furniture to work with.

Love reading all your ideas and progress!!

I should have had this up earlier, this weekend, but I wanted to get my swap done and then I had to fix the house, after being so swap focused.

I have to do this week's task myself. With the paper packs I bought at Tuesday Morning, and the Martha cardstock I got from M's, I have already outgrown where I had my paper.

I bet you all have paper still in bags from recent purchases, SO GET THEM OUT!

Here's the link to Wookiemouse's blog: http://wookiemouse.blogspot.com/2009/06/organize-your-stuff-challenge-week-4.html

My paper storage solution is basically identical to hers. Labeled Cropper Hoppers. I do keep my stacks separate. Those are stored horizontally in Jetmax cubes.

Cardstock: Mine is Pink, ROY_G_BIV, Brown, Gray, White, Black. For each color, my Bazzill cardstock is sorted by texture. So I have all my grasscloth, then criss-cross, canvas. Discontinued cardstock is at the end. Bling is kept in its one Cropper Hopper. I also have a CH for non-Bazzill cardstock.

Patterned Paper: Mine is primarily by theme (Disney, vacation, cruise, pets, holiday). I do keep my favorite manufacturer lines together (Basic Gray, Imaginesce, etc). This accounts for 80% of my "loose sheets." The other 20% are organized by patterns (dots, striped, flowers, etc).

I try to avoid buying paper, just because it's pretty. So when I come home, it makes it easy to put away. I have a pocket for papers that aren't Disney branded, but I thought they reminded me of Main Street, or Adventureland, or Port Orleans. This helps me with my swaps, because I can go to that pocket and see what I already have that would match my theme. I organize that pocket by land/park. I also have a pocket for the paper I bought for my Trans-Atlantic cruise.

While you are going through your paper, consider what your plan for that paper is. If you store some of it by intended project, maybe it will inspire you to actually work on that project. And if you can't think of a particular use for it, maybe it is time to purge that paper?

Wow!! Wookiemouse sure does have a lot of paper.
Mine is pretty organized and I used a ton this weekend on the caterpillar for school. I may week out and purge some of the older patterned paper that I doubt I'll use.

Psstt....Buffy.... I'll take it...

:rotfl:

I was going to say she has a lot of paper too, and then I remembered what our downstairs looks like... so I don't know if I can actually say that.

Sure - the poor kid - she only has thousands of sheets. Practically down to nothing! :rotfl2:

She'd adore them, I'm sure. Thanks for offering!

You're the one with thousands!

I only have... hundreds... I lurrveee paper.

If you really wouldn't mind, that would be awesome... if it's a hassle, don't bother! You have enough on your plate for the next 2 weeks.

You guys are inspiring me! I currently have all my scrapbook materials in plastic tubs and sliding drawers in our study. I have about 12 scrapbooks in different boxes in the closet - not one has been started. Apparently, I just like to buy the stuff but I have a phobia about actually putting them together. But, thanks to y'all, I am becoming inspired to do someting with all this material. I may actually use some stamps, cut up some paper or put some pictures in those books! If all my adhesive hasn't dried up in the many years since I bought it!:rotfl:

All kidding aside, I saw a program today at Staples for scrapbooking "made easy." Do you think it was meant for regular scrapbooking or for digital scrapbooking? The cover did not say. I thought it might give me a jump start if I could use it for regular scrapbooking but I don't need anything else added to my computer than I won't use! and Sorry, this probably shouldn't be here on this thread but I am desperate!

joyah--- did you complete your organization project??? pictures!!

my shelving is up and ready...sadly my carpet re-tacking has been delayed a week! :eek: it's like it's waiting there for me.......

You guys are inspiring me! I currently have all my scrapbook materials in plastic tubs and sliding drawers in our study. I have about 12 scrapbooks in different boxes in the closet - not one has been started. Apparently, I just like to buy the stuff but I have a phobia about actually putting them together. But, thanks to y'all, I am becoming inspired to do someting with all this material. I may actually use some stamps, cut up some paper or put some pictures in those books! If all my adhesive hasn't dried up in the many years since I bought it!:rotfl:

All kidding aside, I saw a program today at Staples for scrapbooking "made easy." Do you think it was meant for regular scrapbooking or for digital scrapbooking? The cover did not say. I thought it might give me a jump start if I could use it for regular scrapbooking but I don't need anything else added to my computer than I won't use! and Sorry, this probably shouldn't be here on this thread but I am desperate!

If it was a computer program I would assume it's digital. I can't find it in Google.

I posted pics of it withe the few little things that needed to be done I think by now they are page or 2 back abt 1/25 was when I finished the main move.

Sadly I keep saying I'm going to finish the last few things but a couple of them still remain due to lack of time. the boys desk did get done though.

3 guys have an ice fishing derby in the am so I'm planning on tackling some more of it in the morning course if the -20 wind chill happens we are all staying in bed.

So once again I ignored the piles and instead I cleaned the bedroom and hoed out a pile for good will and a pile for the garbage. I finally threw out the dress I wore for my college graduation (92) and what I wore leaving the wedding reception (94) along with outfits I wore when both boys were baptized. I managed to clean out 1 4' area in my closet that I can store the extra sewing machine, batting and totes of fabric that there just isn't room for in the office.
In the process of the bedroom cleaning I also sorted all the memorilbila and dumped the 1st 3 quaters of the report cards. Today is the day I get a handle on all that. so off to work I go.

Is everyone still out there?

Week 4 - Paper Scraps

Mine are stored in page protectors in binders. I think I am up to 5 binders now. A 4" one for patterned paper, another 4" for most of the Bazzill, smaller ones for the rest of the Bazzill, Bling, non-Bazzill patterned paper. I have used my label maker to label the page protectors that are current Bazzill colors, so when I use it and I need more, I know which color to order.

You can buy page protectors in a box of like 200, for ~$15 at Office supply stores. My binders I get at garage sales, thrift stores, because those things are expensive at full price.

And yes, in this system, I use my scraps! Looking at the Event swap, I used my scraps for: orange Mickey heads, all the layers for the Gravedigger, Pooh guys paper piecings, layer on jingle bells, zebras, giraffes and masks, and the embellished shape flowers.

Out of curiosity, I decided to see how long it took to clean up my scraps. I was in 8 groups in the Event swap. It took 15 minutes to trim the scraps, and separate them all out. It took another 15 minutes to put them in the appropriate page protector and binder. Certainly, not fun, but since it was the only thing I worked on that day, it was manageable.

Here's this week's link to WookieMouse's blog: http://wookiemouse.blogspot.com/2009/06/organize-your-stuff-challenge-week-5.html

Week 5's challenge is photo organization, so also try to pull those together and start thinking about it.

I have sorted through all the memorilbila for both boys and have now put it in the binders. I think i'm going to like this system and it diffinately keeps it contained and able to be found and looked through fairly easy.
And I'm right on track for next weeks cause the last pile that was ignored is the pictures. Mostly they are ready to be worked with but as I cleaned up the room I found piles here and there. they were all put into one tote so when sorting time came they were at least in 1 place. I was hoping to get to that pile today but I don't think it will happen.
I still have yet to scrap in the new space and that is bugging me but I refuse to until these last piles are dealt with.

How is everyone else doing thread has been kind of slow.

I'm here. I've got something funky going on with my joints and my hands look like baseball mitts so I haven't been doing anything but sitting on the couch.
But my paper and my photos are in good shape, I just need to snake in the new cardstock I bought, had to replenish the colors I use a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter