Orange Lake Information Thread

We are 3 weeks from Orange Lake. We are staying in West Village in a 2BR Villa. I rented through a Signature Elite owner. From my research, those may be 2 separate levels. I called the other day to confirm a few small things. First, that the reservation is in the system and I am a guest of an Elite owner. They confirmed both. Then I asked about early check-in. They said I could check-in as early as 10AM although our room may not be ready which is fine. I finally asked about location and if we would be able to choose where we want to be. They indicated on the reservation that we wanted to be close to the main pool. They also said we will be in the VIP check-in area and that we should be able to handpick our room based on availability.

As it gets closer, I am going to inquire about how Uber/Lyft get through the gates. I am also going to inquire about how friends can get in as well. They will stay with us one night. The room accommodates 8, there are 3 from my family, 4 from his, and we may have a visitor coming in the day they are here as well. I don't see it as a problem since we can have 8 on the reservation. It's a rare occasion we can all sync up together and we are going to try to take advantage of it.

i'm an IHG member and booked the 2bdrm villa with my hotel ihg points. we are staying thru 4th of july holiday. was hoping it would be more info regarding 'hotel guests' and not owners/renters lol i'll search for more info. but this was very informative OP, thank u.

To my knowledge, there is very few differences between "hotel" guests and timeshare guests. The one difference that comes to mind as a hotel guest is that you have a daily resort fee of $7.95. Outside of that, it is all the same.

thanks! i just checked and Yaaaay
RESORT FEE WAIVED FOR PC REWARD NIGHTS BOOKINGS ONLY
i booked from july 1-5 with points so great.

Good news fellow cocktail drinkers....North village pool has a bar. I'd read somewhere there was no pool bar in this area. They've moved the pizza restaurant to this pool area and a small bar is right next to it. Paradise punch is a good choice :thumbsup2.

Good news fellow cocktail drinkers....North village pool has a bar. I'd read somewhere there was no pool bar in this area. They've moved the pizza restaurant to this pool area and a small bar is right next to it. Paradise punch is a good choice :thumbsup2.
I updated the front pages with this new information.

Medical Information
My DW is a new-ish Type 1 Diabetic. We did not anticipate a few things before leaving. We are in scramble mode and things just fell into place thankfully.

I will add updates here as people provide additional information on general medical info. As I see or experience anything at the resort, I will add that information here as well.
  • Sharps Containers
    • Orange Lake does not provide any sharps containers for the rooms
    • Sharps disposal stations are in most public restrooms throughout the resort
    • Disposal of sharps is advised in the restrooms that have the containers
    • You can bring your own or order them. I bought 2 off Amazon for $6.50 delivered.

Last edited:

We are 3 weeks from Orange Lake. We are staying in West Village in a 2BR Villa. I rented through a Signature Elite owner. From my research, those may be 2 separate levels. I called the other day to confirm a few small things. First, that the reservation is in the system and I am a guest of an Elite owner. They confirmed both. Then I asked about early check-in. They said I could check-in as early as 10AM although our room may not be ready which is fine. I finally asked about location and if we would be able to choose where we want to be. They indicated on the reservation that we wanted to be close to the main pool. They also said we will be in the VIP check-in area and that we should be able to handpick our room based on availability.

As it gets closer, I am going to inquire about how Uber/Lyft get through the gates. I am also going to inquire about how friends can get in as well. They will stay with us one night. The room accommodates 8, there are 3 from my family, 4 from his, and we may have a visitor coming in the day they are here as well. I don't see it as a problem since we can have 8 on the reservation. It's a rare occasion we can all sync up together and we are going to try to take advantage of it.

Wow @BigredNole !!! You only have 3 days left !!!! I am so excited for you!!! :yay:

I can't wait to read your reviews @BigredNole. I've stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Vacation Village at Parkway in the past. I'm thinking of adding Orange Lake to the rotation if your review is positive. I hope you enjoy you stay and the rest of your vacation!

I can't wait to read your reviews @BigredNole. I've stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Vacation Village at Parkway in the past. I'm thinking of adding Orange Lake to the rotation if your review is positive. I hope you enjoy you stay and the rest of your vacation!

Yes...I am looking forward to the comments and reviews too. I don't want to rush @BigredNole 's vacation, but I am so anxious to hear as many details as possible.

I found an owner who had a week at North Village in a 2 bedroom for only $500 !!! :eek: She is going to lose the week because she didn't get it rented and it expires a week from Saturday. I am SICK that I wasn't able to take advantage of that deal. :sick: I hope something comes along for me with similar pricing for my week in August. Fingers Crossed!!! :rolleyes:

I don't want to make this a trip report, but I did want to check back in now that we are here. We arrived around noon yesterday. Because of the age, I was skeptical at how nice it was going to look from the outside. The villas and towers are all amazing looking. We checked in at the Guard Gate, wound up the road to registration, and in to Check-in. Well, my first let down...no VIP check-in. It was not open or we would have been able to use it. No worry because we were 1st in line for regular check-in. Our room was not ready, but they did put us in the 5700 building. This is the first building next to the Registration building, room 5734. It is right next to the elevator, on the 3rd floor, overlooking the short Par 3 green, and the giant lake.

Dare I say at this early point that I like Orange Lake much better than Wyndham Bonnet Creek...not yet since it has not been 24-hours. The units are extremely similar. I am giving the edge to the renovated OLR rooms than the WBC rooms. It is a tough comparison because we have a 2BR vs a 1BR at WBC. If I had to put it in perspective, the renovated rooms at ORL resort are between a Deluxe and Presidential at WBC. I was able to finally get a good night sleep at ORL. The beds at WBC are very nice and fit 90+% of the people perfectly. For my minor back issues and the WDW rides throwing kinks into it, the OLR beds are better for me.

Amenities and activities are so much better at OLR. Yes, some you have to pay for. We take the afternoons off to enjoy the resort. WBC had many of the better activities while people were at parks or at their sporting events (there were at least 2 huge sports tournaments). The people in those were always talking about what they were missing because the activities were late mornings early afternoons. OLR has something going on, somewhere, pretty much all the time.

For a question that was asked by @TamaraQT, the rooms in the buildings next to registration all have screened in balconies. I can personally guarantee that now. The other thing I noticed is that there are no bugs. Not once were we bothered by anything, not even a fly and we were outside for almost 11 hours yesterday.

As I sit here reading and typing (non-park day), I completely regret not packing my fishing gear now. Orange Lake is full of lily-pads near shore housing a bunch of good FL size bass. I am almost 100% certain that I am making my way to Wally World later this morning to buy a cheap spinning rod.

And I think of a possible negative that is easily ignored. If you think of any touristy area, you have that road that is filled with the cheesiest tourist trap stores. Coming up 192 to the entrance, you have to go through that a little bit. It is easily ignored.

As for traffic, 192 can be a bit of a bear during rush times. Although we have not ventured out to parks, I am certain we will miss any real traffic in the morning. I can see how busy it will be in the afternoons and evenings. I have a feeling that I am going to regret not having my toll box on the car.

Last edited:
Fishing is one of the reasons I found OLR and am interested. Can you not rent poles? I live out of the country and will not be traveling with any gear.

I have not seen anywhere that rents fishing gear. I am sure the chain stores right around here have cheap enough options for travelers to buy for short period use. I have caught bass in FL with a ball point pen, fishing line, hook, and a grasshopper. Not the easiest thing, but I have done it and did it next to a guy with about $500 in gear. A cheapo $20 setup would be more than perfect for a short vacation.

I don't want to make this a trip report, but I did want to check back in now that we are here. We arrived around noon yesterday. Because of the age, I was skeptical at how nice it was going to look from the outside. The villas and towers are all amazing looking. We checked in at the Guard Gate, wound up the road to registration, and in to Check-in. Well, my first let down...no VIP check-in. It was not open or we would have been able to use it. No worry because we were 1st in line for regular check-in. Our room was not ready, but they did put us in the 5700 building. This is the first building next to the Registration building, room 5734. It is right next to the elevator, on the 3rd floor, overlooking the short Par 3 green, and the giant lake.

Dare I say at this early point that I like Orange Lake much better than Wyndham Bonnet Creek...not yet since it has not been 24-hours. The units are extremely similar. I am giving the edge to the renovated OLR rooms than the WBC rooms. It is a tough comparison because we have a 2BR vs a 1BR at WBC. If I had to put it in perspective, the renovated rooms at ORL resort are between a Deluxe and Presidential at WBC. I was able to finally get a good night sleep at ORL. The beds at WBC are very nice and fit 90+% of the people perfectly. For my minor back issues and the WDW rides throwing kinks into it, the OLR beds are better for me.

Amenities and activities are so much better at OLR. Yes, some you have to pay for. We take the afternoons off to enjoy the resort. WBC had many of the better activities while people were at parks or at their sporting events (there were at least 2 huge sports tournaments). The people in those were always talking about what they were missing because the activities were late mornings early afternoons. OLR has something going on, somewhere, pretty much all the time.

For a question that was asked by @TamaraQT, the rooms in the buildings next to registration all have screened in balconies. I can personally guarantee that now. The other thing I noticed is that there are no bugs. Not once were we bothered by anything, not even a fly and we were outside for almost 11 hours yesterday.

Thanks so much for the update!!!! :goodvibes I am so happy you were able to get into the Tennis Villas which I know I would prefer. Sounds like OLR is as nice as I expected it to be. Activities galore and renovated units. I havent been able to find an owner to rent to me within my budget but I have something in my inbox today that says he is willing to meet my buget so that sounds promising. I am GLAD you are having a GREAT time. Enjoy yourself and may the time slow down for you. Its so nice to be there for 2 full weeks and experience 2 different resorts. Well get back to your vacation. I truly appreciate your update and info. Have fun my friend!!!
:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

THanks for the tennis villas update, I was debating g if I should request a room in tennis villa or a bungalow. Now I'm thinking villa

THanks for the tennis villas update, I was debating g if I should request a room in tennis villa or a bungalow. Now I'm thinking villa

Glad you like it......we love it. Enjoy

Yep.....Tennis Villas are definitely the way to go for me. I need a balcony....not an open patio. I hope I can find an owner to get me into Tennis Villas!!!
:yay:

From what I gathered last night, the Tennis Villas are not easy to get. Since they are the renovated rooms, they have been assigned out to the highest point owners first. I walked into a situation where a group of family were either about to or were already removed from their reservations. Police were onsite at the Water's Edge pool (around 10:30PM). Nothing crazy going on but the officers explaining the situation, the legal rights Orange Lake has, and as I finished walking by they were explaining their options which I could not here.

As I continued on trying to find where Lost and Found was and eventually getting to Guest Relations, one other family member from this group is filing an "official" complaint. He tried talking to me like I cared on how bad Orange Lake is and that their request for the Tennis Villas was not granted. Of course, they were checking in after 9PM, didn't get their requests, and they proceeded to threaten the Check-in people, people at the parking pass counter, and others by the pool. Then, when it was my turn the Guest Relations apologized for it and we had some small talk. I asked how difficult the Tennis Villas were to get in because we were there. She said during this time since it is their peak season and so many bookings that Elite and the level below it were the only ones that could get in them. All other point owners were in the one-story units around.

We had a great day just relaxing at the resort. We had planned to meet up with my college roommates but they ran into major car issues. They did not get into the area until 4PM and they eventually made it over to us around 8:30. We had drinks for 2 hours and then they needed to head back. We played pool games, Bingo, and other activities. Ventured over to River Island. It was nice, but nothing like what I expected. I was expecting more. It was extremely crowded and it looked like it was slammed with single day visitors. We only spent an hour there. It was a great day, even with a pair of lost Crocs. Hopefully L&F has them. If not, someone walked off with an extra pair of shoes. Hopefully they realize and turn them in.

BTW, don't let the incident change the experience. To me it was extremely minor. It was a large family thinking they deserved more than they paid for and thought they could bully their way into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter