Options for child with wheelchair

Status
Not open for further replies.

skotti

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are headed to the world in 2 weeks! We will be celebrating my son’s 5th birthday while there. He has a convaid cruiser (which is a stroller/wheelchair) that he uses for getting from place to place. I’m starting to have a bit of anxiety about how we should get to the parks. His cruiser has the transport straps/handles on it so that it can be loaded onto the ramp of a bus but he doesn’t like to ride in his chair on the bus. He prefers to ride in a seat next to us. Will they allow his chair to be loaded onto the bus without him in it? We are driving and staying at Old Key West and we also have a handicap plate, so would we be better off using the handicap spots for getting to the parks? Also wondering about how this would work for the boat to Wilderness Lodge from MK and riding the monorail. It does fold up but is pretty large and bulky/heavy so carrying it onto transportation like a stroller is probably not a good option. He can walk for short periods and waiting in lines shouldn’t be an issue since he’s still small enough to be held during those times if he needs it. My biggest concern is getting to and from the parks and other resorts. Any advice anyone has would really be appreciated. TIA

For the buses, he can get loaded on sitting in his chair and then once on the bus he can get out and sit in a normal seat just like ECV users do. As for the monorail, you can just roll right. The boat to MK I am not sure about, I am sure someone will be able to answer that. Have a great trip.

you can Bring the device into the lines. just need a stroller as wheelchair tag. I second Lislisa's suggestions to load via the back as normal and just transfer to a seat..

Hi, we are headed to the world in 2 weeks! We will be celebrating my son’s 5th birthday while there. He has a convaid cruiser (which is a stroller/wheelchair) that he uses for getting from place to place. I’m starting to have a bit of anxiety about how we should get to the parks. His cruiser has the transport straps/handles on it so that it can be loaded onto the ramp of a bus but he doesn’t like to ride in his chair on the bus. He prefers to ride in a seat next to us. Will they allow his chair to be loaded onto the bus without him in it? We are driving and staying at Old Key West and we also have a handicap plate, so would we be better off using the handicap spots for getting to the parks? Also wondering about how this would work for the boat to Wilderness Lodge from MK and riding the monorail. It does fold up but is pretty large and bulky/heavy so carrying it onto transportation like a stroller is probably not a good option. He can walk for short periods and waiting in lines shouldn’t be an issue since he’s still small enough to be held during those times if he needs it. My biggest concern is getting to and from the parks and other resorts. Any advice anyone has would really be appreciated. TIA
most likely he will have to ride up the ramp in his chair but after he is in the bus move to a seat beside you. would he be okay with moving to a seat then? can not say for the boat from Wilderness Lodge but have used the boat from the Fort and never had a problem using the larger ferries using an ECV and having a double stroller with us. there is a tag for in the parks called a stroller as a wheelchair that makes it so you can bring his stroller in lines I know his is not a true stroller but if looks like it might be worth looking into one so there is no question.

most likely he will have to ride up the ramp in his chair but after he is in the bus move to a seat beside you. would he be okay with moving to a seat then? can not say for the boat from Wilderness Lodge but have used the boat from the Fort and never had a problem using the larger ferries using an ECV and having a double stroller with us. there is a tag for in the parks called a stroller as a wheelchair that makes it so you can bring his stroller in lines I know his is not a true stroller but if looks like it might be worth looking into one so there is no question.

I don't think he would have a problem with it. He's been hesitant to use his chair at Pre-K because he gets a little self conscious when other kids stare at him but I think Disney will be a little more comfortable for him with just family, hopefully. It actually looks more like a wheelchair than a stroller with the foot rests and straps but it's considered a special needs stroller because he doesn't have the ability to move it on his own. I will look into possible getting a tag just in case because he does tire really easily and it may be nice to let him rest in lines. Thanks for the advice :)

:welcome:

Yay for birthday trips! :) First of all, be sure and stop at Guest Relations - or even the front desk at your Resort! - and get that boy a Birthday Button! :) Mom and Dad and everyone else can get an "I'm Celebrating!" button to join in the fun! :)

He might really enjoy pin trading with Cast Members (and every Resort has a pin trading board in the shop where he can trade too!) and get to meet people from all over the country, and even all over the world!

As previous posters have said - he can certainly transfer once his chair is on the bus; the driver will make sure it is tied down safely, but he can sit on a seat with you, no problem!

Last time we stayed at WL, every other boat to/from WL to MK was accessible - the smaller "open" boats have a step down, and his stroller would have to be folded and carried on, so you might just want to wait for the next boat. The larger "closed" boats have much more space, and his stroller can just be pushed on; those boats don't typically have a ramp available, so you may have to lift the stroller a bit to get it in or out depending on the water level, and the number of Guests on board. That's one of my favorite boat rides at WDW! :)

The Monorail stations all have portable ramps for his stroller. He might be best served typically by staying in the stroller on the Monorail; It can be difficult while the Monorail is moving towards the station to transfer back to a mobility device safely.

Another boat ride he might really enjoy is the boats that travel around at Disney Springs, including to and from OKW! Those boats will all be the same style and will have the portable ramps to easily roll on and off. That's another favorite for me - I love cruising down the Sassagoula River to Disney Springs! :)

Let him know that at Disney World, he will see all kinds of people who have to use wheels to get around, and that he should wave and smile, because a lot of us will be happy to wave and smile right back! :)

Don't worry - and have a wonderful birthday trip with your little guy! :)

I don't think he would have a problem with it. He's been hesitant to use his chair at Pre-K because he gets a little self conscious when other kids stare at him but I think Disney will be a little more comfortable for him with just family, hopefully. It actually looks more like a wheelchair than a stroller with the foot rests and straps but it's considered a special needs stroller because he doesn't have the ability to move it on his own. I will look into possible getting a tag just in case because he does tire really easily and it may be nice to let him rest in lines. Thanks for the advice :)
you shouldn't need the tag but I have read that others have needed it. you get at Guest Services and if you are trying to get DAS they done at same place and time. I have needed the tag for a regular stroller with a younger child which was a lifesaver for us being able to bring stroller in line

you shouldn't need the tag but I have read that others have needed it. you get at Guest Services and if you are trying to get DAS they done at same place and time. I have needed the tag for a regular stroller with a younger child which was a lifesaver for us being able to bring stroller in line
I would get it tagged. I was surprised how many CM’s didn’t recognize my grandsons Hoggi Bingo Evolution Adaptive Stroller.

I would get it tagged. I was surprised how many CM’s didn’t recognize my grandsons Hoggi Bingo Evolution Adaptive Stroller.
Ditto, we have a convaid, went without the tag first time and were consantly having to explain it's like a wheelchair. Got the tag, and didn' have any troyble

Just to add, I'm sure it won't be a problem on the buses. I was a little shocked (maybe annoyed) on our trip last year two women got on the bus and had to use one of the stroller/wheelchair spots for a wheelchair they had overloaded with purchases. It wasn't being used at all. (By the way, I understand not everyone uses their wheelchair the whole time.) So I'm sure you can get it figured out! :) Have a great trip!

Just to add, I'm sure it won't be a problem on the buses. I was a little shocked (maybe annoyed) on our trip last year two women got on the bus and had to use one of the stroller/wheelchair spots for a wheelchair they had overloaded with purchases. It wasn't being used at all. (By the way, I understand not everyone uses their wheelchair the whole time.) So I'm sure you can get it figured out! :) Have a great trip!

I can imagine that might have been shocking to see the wheelchair apparently being used for storage, and then parked in a mobility spot on the bus - but at least you know that some folks rent a wheelchair and use it as a Rollator, or even a walker. :) In fact, if that person was using the wheelchair as a walker/Rollator, and had to put too much pressure on the hand grips (in order to support themselves) it could actually tump over backwards without a counterbalance in the seat.

Sadly, not everyone on that bus doesn't know what you do, and may have judged others who are mobility impaired, or those with invisible disabilities more harshly.

Ditto, we have a convaid, went without the tag first time and were consantly having to explain it's like a wheelchair. Got the tag, and didn' have any troyble

Well, if it looks like a stroller, and you are seen pushing it, of course the CMs are going to handle it as a stroller. That's why you get the tags, so the poor CMs don't have to deal with the arguments.

8CB8AB4B-92F0-41C9-B40D-94BAE955E032.jpeg
This is my DD in her first wheelchair (with her older sister).
We specifically chose to get a wheelchair rather than a special needs stroller so she could at least start propelling it herself. We didn’t have any issue with CMs recognizing it as a wheelchair, but some guests thought it was a stroller and complained about us bring able to take our ‘stroller’ in line. :sad2:

Years ago, when DD got her first wheelchair, you just didn’t see strollers for kids older than toddlers (over about 2.5 yrs old). Our DD outgrew her ‘regular’ stroller by 2.5 yrs and she was a tiny kid.
If you saw a child older than that in a stroller, it was pretty much guaranteed to be a special needs stroller. Besides that, the special needs strollers looked pretty ‘clinical’.
Now, you can find strollers for children up to 65 pounds and special needs strollers /pediatric wheelchair are usually designed to look more like ‘regular’ strollers.

So, unless your special needs stroller or pediatric wheelchair looks a lot like my DD’s first wheelchair, it’s best to get a stroller as wheelchair tag for it.

PS - unless your special needs stroller is equipped for transport, it will need to be folded on the bus.

Well, if it looks like a stroller, and you are seen pushing it, of course the CMs are going to handle it as a stroller. That's why you get the tags, so the poor CMs don't have to deal with the arguments.

I wasn't complaining, just stating a simple fact to help out the OP. the first time she went it never occurred to me that they wouldn't realize it wasn't a regular stroller, it doesn't look anything like a typical stroller that you would use for a regular child. I always thought it looked more like a wheelchair than a stroller, and even if it didn't I would have thought that the feeding pump, oxygen concentrator, and suction machine attached to it would have clued them in. its very simple to get a tag and now I know better, but the first time I truly didn't know. your post is needlessly confrontational, why pick a fight over something so trivial?

Please keep in mind that it is very easy to see things in a different light when reading than if the same thing was said in person. The reminder is both for people writing things and reading them....

And, to put something positive (and cute), when I was looking for the picture of my DD’s first wheelchair, I also found these.
C8EE1A31-6963-4515-9115-99A107A93ABA.jpeg C71CFC6A-B6F1-4BE5-890C-12CF0A18E391.jpeg1D13522A-D968-4B95-938D-8E2657CDF0C1.jpeg
The ‘warm weather’ one was at Caribbean Beach on the same trip as the picture in the other post.
The Christmas one is both of my DDs and the other is much more recent.

I wasn't complaining, just stating a simple fact to help out the OP. the first time she went it never occurred to me that they wouldn't realize it wasn't a regular stroller, it doesn't look anything like a typical stroller that you would use for a regular child. I always thought it looked more like a wheelchair than a stroller, and even if it didn't I would have thought that the feeding pump, oxygen concentrator, and suction machine attached to it would have clued them in. its very simple to get a tag and now I know better, but the first time I truly didn't know. your post is needlessly confrontational, why pick a fight over something so trivial?

You made it sound like it was the CMs' fault, putting blame on them, IMO. I was just pointing out how they are not experts at special needs equipment, and that WDW had the appropriate system in place for people to use.

You made it sound like it was the CMs' fault, putting blame on them, IMO. I was just pointing out how they are not experts at special needs equipment, and that WDW had the appropriate system in place for people to use.
interestingly enough when I went to universal I had to argue to be given the stroller as wheelchair tag. they told me that of course the adaptive stroller was considered a wheelchair, it didn't need a tag. but after my experience with Disney I didn't trust the CMs to recognize that, so I insisted on the tag. two completely different parks I know, but it seems like if the universal CMs can recognize an adaptive stroller it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that CMs at Disney wouldn't recognize it too

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter