Opinions on selling and buying vs adding

TiggerBouncy

DIS Veteran
So I have a 220 Pt in BLT which is my main contract and a 60 point in AKL.

The 60 point I find difficult to manage because I can't really do much with 60 points. In theory I was told I should use it every other year and the 120 points are easier to use.

IF I were to get more points (that's a big if... I would like more points, but I just don't have the vacation time to use them) I am on the fence between a couple of choices:

* Adding a 3rd contract in another resort (like Riveria). However, then I have the same problem as AKL. I guess I alternative between all of them every other year?
* Getting a second contract in AKL. If I do that, I assume I can mix the two together (assuming they are the same use year) and have an easier time with those 11 month bookings. I do this now and just allocate which contract to draw points from, so I assume it works the same way (only further out) if I have 2 contracts in the same resort.
* Selling my AKL and and using that money + new money to get one larger contact either in AKL or somewhere else (again I am eyeing Riveria). .

Thoughts?

One of the positives is that you'll get a nice $/point for a smaller contract that should be enough to negate commission/fees associated with selling... however one of the downsides is that you forfeit any grandfathered "rights" that may no longer be available. For example, that 60 point contract (if purchased before this spring) could be used anywhere at 7 months, whereas if you replace it with a larger Riviera resale contract, it can only be used at Riviera.

We've been in a similar boat and decided to add on at our currently owned resorts rather than selling/buying. It avoids the hassle of going through the process and waiting for funds to come in, and we have a handful of nice small contracts that will be easy to sell if/when the time comes.

* Adding a 3rd contract in another resort (like Riveria). However, then I have the same problem as AKL. I guess I alternative between all of them every other year?
We have 3 home resorts, and yes, we use our smaller contract(s) to book every other year. We don't mix contracts in one reservation (because we always make reservations at >7 months, even if we plan to modify at 7 mo). Or, use 2 separate contracts to book a split stay. For example, we used VGF contract to book a Christmas VGF stay, and then used our RIV contract to book New Year's.

It's not hard to manage if you plan from the outset to use them each separately.

* Getting a second contract in AKL. If I do that, I assume I can mix the two together (assuming they are the same use year) and have an easier time with those 11 month bookings. I do this now and just allocate which contract to draw points from, so I assume it works the same way (only further out) if I have 2 contracts in the same resort.

Yes. If you like AKV, this might be a good option.

* Selling my AKL and and using that money + new money to get one larger contact either in AKL or somewhere else (again I am eyeing Riveria). .

I'm assuming when you are eyeing RIV, that would be buying direct, not resale? I would not suggest letting go of a contract that either has access to all the pre-RIV resorts to get ONLY RIV. Are your AKV points pre 1/19/19?

If you were to add a small RIV contract direct, then you could plan a split stay every other year with RIV and AKV booked >7 mo out, and then, switch one or both resorts at 7 mo. That's pretty decent flexibility.

ETA: BLT was our "smaller" contract and we were never going to let go of it, but last spring we were deciding between adding on more points at BLT or buying the same # of points at RIV direct. We decided that for 10% more $ to add a 3rd home resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!