Opinions on Resorts (Large Group/Mobility Issues)

I'm thinking there is a few in my party who won't set foot in them, but I'll float that idea. Of course, I need to see which resorts will be serviced by the gondola. Majority of my group wants a deluxe resort.
For a trip about six monthscaway, they may need to consider being (much) more flexible. With 12-13 adults, you would need at least three, possibly up to seven rooms.

Gondola: runs between
Hourglass Lake and CBR
CBR and DHS
Riviera (adjacent to CBR) and Epcot.

For a trip about six monthscaway, they may need to consider being (much) more flexible. With 12-13 adults, you would need at least three, possibly up to seven rooms.

Gondola: runs between
Hourglass Lake and CBR
CBR and DHS
Riviera (adjacent to CBR) and Epcot.

Thanks for the info! Yes, we will probably be getting up to 7 rooms!!! I'm a fairly seasoned Disney traveler and I know it can be tough to do. I *thought* we'd be okay in November but didn't anticipate Jersey Week. So, I'm sure our date is going to have to change. As for the mobility issues: I have one 80 y/o with us (who is able to walk on his own in day-to-day activities) but can't do the walking in the parks as he needs an ankle replacement. He went last year and did Universal without a scooter one day and it didn't go to well. The other is my aunt (who just got through chemo), has had a double knee replacement that didn't really ever work so, while she can walk very short distances, anything long is out of the question. This is why I was leaning toward a monorail resort. Even though the trip to the monorail can be long, I think it's better than dealing at the moderates and busses. We also didn't enjoy getting the scooter on the bus. Took a long time. We'll have two people on scooters which just makes it worse, although maybe not so bad as I'm pretty sure we'll be touring separately often. And without saying too much, my cousin wants her mother to have a "top notch" time and be in a really nice hotel as they don't know if they will be traveling again. My aunt won't do a lot of park touring and may spend good portions of time in her room or outside at a pool. The resort quality is important in this regard versus those of us who just use the resort to lay our heads down at night.

Have you considered not all staying at the same resort?

If the scooter users are at all able to walk, other members of the parties can drive the scooters onto the bus, and park, while the scooter users walk up and down the ramp.

The monorail is really only beneficial for accessing the MK, and to a lesser degree (due to having to transfer in both directions) Epcot. With a dozen adults, what percent of time/days do you expect to spend at each park, and will you have hoppers?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you need to change something. Your initial requirements are way too narrow for a trip being planned in a short time. You can change the dates or the resort requirements and you will have more success.

Thanks for the info! Yes, we will probably be getting up to 7 rooms!!! I'm a fairly seasoned Disney traveler and I know it can be tough to do. I *thought* we'd be okay in November but didn't anticipate Jersey Week. So, I'm sure our date is going to have to change. As for the mobility issues: I have one 80 y/o with us (who is able to walk on his own in day-to-day activities) but can't do the walking in the parks as he needs an ankle replacement. He went last year and did Universal without a scooter one day and it didn't go to well. The other is my aunt (who just got through chemo), has had a double knee replacement that didn't really ever work so, while she can walk very short distances, anything long is out of the question. This is why I was leaning toward a monorail resort. Even though the trip to the monorail can be long, I think it's better than dealing at the moderates and busses. We also didn't enjoy getting the scooter on the bus. Took a long time. We'll have two people on scooters which just makes it worse, although maybe not so bad as I'm pretty sure we'll be touring separately often. And without saying too much, my cousin wants her mother to have a "top notch" time and be in a really nice hotel as they don't know if they will be traveling again. My aunt won't do a lot of park touring and may spend good portions of time in her room or outside at a pool. The resort quality is important in this regard versus those of us who just use the resort to lay our heads down at night.
So budget isn't a consideration? Or are they clueless as to deluxe costs?

The only problem with multiple scooters is that they might not be able to get on the same bus if one of the scooter spaces is already occupied by another scooter. The plus with scooters and buses is that the majority of bus drivers are very helpful in parking the scooter on the bus. I used a scooter last October and the bus drivers were angels.

So budget isn't a consideration? Or are they clueless as to deluxe costs?

Budget is not really an issue. This is sort of like a "make a wish" kind of vacation for my aunt, her grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Have you considered not all staying at the same resort?

If the scooter users are at all able to walk, other members of the parties can drive the scooters onto the bus, and park, while the scooter users walk up and down the ramp.

The monorail is really only beneficial for accessing the MK, and to a lesser degree (due to having to transfer in both directions) Epcot. With a dozen adults, what percent of time/days do you expect to spend at each park, and will you have hoppers?

Yes, it's conceivable that I could move to a different resort as well as my parents which is 2-3 less rooms.

Last year when we were there and my dad used the scooter, the bus driver made him stay on the scooter, drive it up on the bus and then he was locked in place. It was somewhat embarrassing for him because it took a long time, everyone else had to wait outside while the bus driver and him worked it, and then everyone could get on. The annoying looks were definitely noticeable. Of course, I don't care and my dad was mildly embarrassed. My aunt won't be able to handle that at all.

The only problem with multiple scooters is that they might not be able to get on the same bus if one of the scooter spaces is already occupied by another scooter. The plus with scooters and buses is that the majority of bus drivers are very helpful in parking the scooter on the bus. I used a scooter last October and the bus drivers were angels.

Our drivers were great also, but oddly they never let my dad off the scooter and parked it for him. I was surprised about that.

Budget is not really an issue. This is sort of like a "make a wish" kind of vacation for my aunt, her grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Given that situation, I would talk to them about changing dates so that everyone can stay at their first choice, the Contemporary.

One of my parents has mobility issues and as a result, they do prefer CR. Easy monorail and bus access and stuff to do/look at around the hotel if they're bored. They did not like Poly for mobility reasons: they did not like having to leave their building to get to the monorail/GCH. They also like YC due to the bus stop out front and boat access to Epcot at the dock right outside. Overall though, they prefer CR.

One of my parents has mobility issues and as a result, they do prefer CR. Easy monorail and bus access and stuff to do/look at around the hotel if they're bored. They did not like Poly for mobility reasons: they did not like having to leave their building to get to the monorail/GCH. They also like YC due to the bus stop out front and boat access to Epcot at the dock right outside. Overall though, they prefer CR.

Thanks for your insight to YC. I was thinking that might need to be my #2 choice. Besides the access, how do your parents feel about YC as opposed to CR?

Thanks for your insight to YC. I was thinking that might need to be my #2 choice. Besides the access, how do your parents feel about YC as opposed to CR?

They liked the refurbished rooms with no carpet (trip hazard and allergies). They like the atmosphere of the lagoon area. The CM's there were very friendly and accommodating (they stayed CL). Also it is a bit quieter than BC.

Another pro for an Epcot resort is that the younger people would probably like the boardwalk area and the easy access to WS. I have young adult sons and BWI is their preferred resort for these reasons.

I think the appeal of CR is that the monorail delivers them straight to their hotel. No looking for their car or taking a tram. It is a little more walking to get to Epcot as you have to transfer monorails at TTC vs just going to a bus stop. That can be tedious: for example just missing the monorail or the monorail getting shut down and being redirected to alternative transportation. It can happen to anyone, but when things like that go wrong it can be very trying for an elderly person with mobility issues. But they would still choose YC as their preferred Epcot resort. (and ps I told them to just take Lyft to Epcot but they don't like that)

Also, at CR they can view the fireworks from the lounge vs in the parks. That is a big plus for them. I think you can view fireworks from the 4th floor balcony if you are not staying CL. Maybe someone can answer that.

Last edited:
If you can find dates that work, here is another recommendation for the Yacht Club. The resort's pool amenities are wonderful including cabanas. It’s an easy walk to both the studios and Epcot, and you can also take a boat. You would have to take a bus to Magic Kingdom, but the buses do drop off very close to the entrance of the park.

Perhaps it would be possible to book a club level room for the older people in your party, as that would give them some additional assistance from the CMs there.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge would require buses to all parks, but for people who wanted to stay at the resort. If they enjoyed the animals, savanna view rooms would be terrific.

Again, thanks for all the input on Yacht Club.

As for Animal Kingdom, I sure the little ones in our group would LOVE that but might be a little too far off the beaten path for us.

Can you expand on what you thought was better? Was it just the Boardwalk area or was it the hotel? Room?
The feel of the resort, its theming, and location were what we loved about it. It just seemed very convenient to get everywhere from it too.

Last edited:
Another vote for Boardwalk here. My family of 4, with a 6 year-old and a 3 year-old, stayed there for the first time over Spring Break this year. We have previously stayed at AKL, Grand Floridian, and BLT, and preferred BLT for the ability to walk to MK and the incredible fireworks view.

After our stay at Boardwalk, though, we all agree that it's our new favorite. We loved the convenience of walking to EP and HS, but what really sealed the deal for us was the Boardwalk area in the evenings. There are surrey bikes to rent (so much fun!), movies under the stars on the lawn, carnival games, street performers, and an overall fun atmosphere. We liked eating dinner outside at the Big River Grille (a sit-down where you didn't need a reservation), the quick service options, Ample Hills for ice cream, and the other carnival-type goodies (yay funnel cake!), all right there. It was also very pleasant to just sit outside by the Lake in the mornings and at lunch time. Boardwalk will be our number one choice from now on.

Last edited:
Another vote for Boardwalk. We love the atmosphere and the proximity to 2 parks. Last year we stayed at AKL (which we do like) and took a trip over to the Boardwalk to walk around. My Mom, DD and I all said This feels like home. We will be back at BWV in 3 weeks for an extended family vacation (12 people.)

I have also stayed at the YC in the past and really enjoy it. I don’t think you can go wrong with either resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter