Opinions on Resorts (Large Group/Mobility Issues)

Christine

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! Looking for a little feedback from some of you veterans who have possibly stayed at various resorts.

My extended family and I were trying to plan a trip to WDW the first week of November. This trip includes 12-13 adults and two children (3&2). Two of the adults are older and require electric scooters. One reason for the trip (at that time) is one of the travelers is having a major milestone birthday and that traveler is also coming of some significant chemo treatment for cancer. Trip cannot actually be booked for 2 more weeks as we are awaiting results of post-chemo scan to ensure there is a remission going on.

Most of the travelers desire to stay on the monorail line with a preference for the Contemporary. I think my stories of my trip last year (staying at the Contemporary) piqued their interest and it was a great location for my dad who was with us (ankle issues, requires electric scooter). It's also great with two little kids if you need to get back and forth during the day.

When I was at the Contemporary last year, we did use the bus a few times with the scooter (not a fan, but it works) so we don't really want to be at a bus-only resort. We could rent scooters that come apart and then use a car if we had to.

So here is the problem--during our desired week, all the deluxe resorts are booked. I called WDW to make sure it wasn't just something I was seeing online and it was confirmed. So that kind of blows that idea. I was starting to think a little bit outside those areas (Beach Club maybe, but booked) and after that I'm just not sure. My cousin (whose mother is the one with the health issues) wants to be sure her mother really feels like she's on vacation. No one wants a suite/villa as some adult always ends up on a pull out couch. So we need a lot of rooms too.

I would love thoughts on what you might do in my situation. We also can change the time but it has to be this one week in September. There is a lot more availability then, but the November week is the #1 choice. Wonder what is going on down there to cause everything to be be booked. Heck, I got into the Contemporary last year (summertime) with about 3 weeks notice with no issues.

You’re bumping into Jersey Week (public schools in New Jersey are closed for teacher training), Veteran’s Day, Food and Wine, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, and a marathon.

It’s gonna be crowded!

Yes, I figured something was up. We were looking at November 2-8. The CM on the reservations desk said she thought it might be from the Halloween activities on the 31st but she couldn't really figure out what else would be causing it.

If you are trying to book today, the website is having issues.

That said, I did see Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom, Polynesian and Yacht Club available for those dates?

Also, are those firm dates? Sometimes if you arrive/leave a day earlier/later, things open up.

It's Jersey week and it will be packed. My sister went last year and she said that Epcot was gridlocked on the weekend. Since you have two older adults with mobility issues, I would pick another week.

If you are trying to book today, the website is having issues.

That said, I did see Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom, Polynesian and Yacht Club available for those dates?

Also, are those firm dates? Sometimes if you arrive/leave a day earlier/later, things open up.

I've been trying several times over the last few weeks and the site was working fine. Just nothing in deluxe. I wasn't considering the Yacht Club but maybe I should. At the time I looked, the Poly only had one room. For some reason, my cousin doesn't want to stay there anyway, but I think she ultimately would. I'd like some firsthand opinions on Boardwalk. Seems to always be available but don't know how it compares to some of the deluxe resorts. Not overly interested in Animal Kingdom. They really wanted the Contemporary so it's probably going to have to be a different time of year.

I did shift dates here and there but didn't do any better.

I stayed with a larger group at POFQ. The small size makes it ideal for those with mobility issues. I was not a fan of the Boardwalk and wouldn't stay there again.

I've been trying several times over the last few weeks and the site was working fine. Just nothing in deluxe. I wasn't considering the Yacht Club but maybe I should. At the time I looked, the Poly only had one room. For some reason, my cousin doesn't want to stay there anyway, but I think she ultimately would. I'd like some firsthand opinions on Boardwalk. Seems to always be available but don't know how it compares to some of the deluxe resorts. Not overly interested in Animal Kingdom. They really wanted the Contemporary so it's probably going to have to be a different time of year.

I did shift dates here and there but didn't do any better.

We love the Yacht Club, it's almost identical to Beach Club except slightly quieter with darker colors. Rooms are new!

I've actually read great things about Boardwalk and we are staying there for the first time next year! We stayed at Poly two years ago, it was fine, but not our favorite.

I stayed with a larger group at POFQ. The small size makes it ideal for those with mobility issues. I was not a fan of the Boardwalk and wouldn't stay there again.

But POFQ will always involve a bus, correct?

I would check out the parking situations for any deluxe that you choose if you plan on taking a car. If you drive a lot and don't want to do valet parking you might not like the parking situation at a Yacht Club or a Boardwalk. I passed on both of those because of things I read about the parking. I stayed at the Contemporary and really liked their parking there, always easy to get good spot. Our next trip will either be at the Contemporary or a moderate for those same reasons.

I would check out the parking situations for any deluxe that you choose if you plan on taking a car. If you drive a lot and don't want to do valet parking you might not like the parking situation at a Yacht Club or a Boardwalk. I passed on both of those because of things I read about the parking. I stayed at the Contemporary and really liked their parking there, always easy to get good spot. Our next trip will either be at the Contemporary or a moderate for those same reasons.

Yes, we were very impressed with the Contemporary parking last summer. Especially since we stayed in the Garden Wing. Our cars were really just steps to the Garden Wing and our room. Loved that part of it.

Yes, we were very impressed with the Contemporary parking last summer. Especially since we stayed in the Garden Wing. Our cars were really just steps to the Garden Wing and our room. Loved that part of it.
Same here, it was so perfect.

I would also add, that I heard rumor that the remaining garden wing might actually be torn down for another resort or DVC building. Part of me wants to go back to the same exact wing, just because it might not be there when I want to do it again.

Orbitz seems to have enough Caribbean Beach Pirate (decor) rooms to accommodate your group. By November, the Skyliner to Epcot and DHS should be running.

What about staying at one of the gondola resorts? They will get you to HS and Epcot, and you can use monorail from Epcot to MK.

What about staying at one of the gondola resorts? They will get you to HS and Epcot, and you can use monorail from Epcot to MK.

I'm thinking there is a few in my party who won't set foot in them, but I'll float that idea. Of course, I need to see which resorts will be serviced by the gondola. Majority of my group wants a deluxe resort.

I have not checked the website today, but I was fooling around yesterday for myself. Changing the day by one made a huge difference in availability.

I think a deluxe would work well for your group, especially in regards to transportation for those in scooters. I like the Beach Club if you want more access to Epcot, but I think the YC would be fine as well. I have never stayed at the Boardwalk but I have friends who will not stay anywhere else. A lot of the deficits you read about any resort really are about preference and not all problems.

I think for the elders in your group, if the Poly or Grand was available I would gravitate towards one of those two. The Poly is stunning and so very relaxing once you leave the Grand Cermonial House. My preference woudl be the Grand though. That lobby is like a vacation in itself. Every afternoon the Grand Pianust plays, followed by the GRand Orchestra. I love sitting in a cozy chair while listening.
The grounds are gorgeous and offer a respite from the hectic nature of the parks.

Now I am going to step away from the resorts you mentiioned and suggest you consider Animal Kingdom Lodge. You will need to rely on bus transportation to all of the parks, but if your family is looking for a retreat, this resort offers that times ten. It is far enough off the beaten path that it is not an actually destination for folks just resort hopping, so during a very crowded time in WDW as a whole, it may be worth the effort the transportaion concerns may entail. I have only had the opportunity to stay one time. I found the transportaion to be timely. I cannot speak to the scooter issue, but I htink scooters on the busses may present a delay no matter where you stay, but perhaps more concentrated here becuase there is no monorail or direct access to a ny park.

So there are some discounted confirmed vacations in 2 bd villas at VGF (villas at grand floridian) and BLT (bay lake towers, which is next door to contemporary) in November, but not the first week of November.

Have you looked at the second week of November? September seems a bit soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!