OPINIONS ON DJ OR IPOD SET UP AT BRUNCH RECEPTION ??

kaitrex93

Earning My Ears
hello!

soon to be Disney-bride here!
I wanted to get some opinions on if a DJ is necessary for a brunch reception, i would say my family is known to break it down on the dance floor at other family gatherings, but is a DJ necessary, especially so early in the day?
i pride myself on my playlist curating skills:smooth: and am a bit of a control freak, and the thought of having total control over the music/ saving $$$ sounds super appealing to me, but what are people's thoughts on it, or experiences??

any input is so welcomed and so appreciated! :flower1:

I know that many people have done this during a brunch reception and said it worked out just fine. Me personally, I couldn't imagine having to worry about the music on our day in addition to everything else. If you go that route, definitely set up a bridesmaid or trusted family member to be in charge of controlling the music. Also, I feel like something gets a little "lost" when there's no DJ to announce the transitions, announce you into the room, encourage people to get out on the dance floor (or keep dancing), etc. I would go the DJ route but again, that's definitely jut a personal preference for me and I know lots of people have gone the iPod route and been perfectly happy!

I know that many people have done this during a brunch reception and said it worked out just fine. Me personally, I couldn't imagine having to worry about the music on our day in addition to everything else. If you go that route, definitely set up a bridesmaid or trusted family member to be in charge of controlling the music. Also, I feel like something gets a little "lost" when there's no DJ to announce the transitions, announce you into the room, encourage people to get out on the dance floor (or keep dancing), etc. I would go the DJ route but again, that's definitely jut a personal preference for me and I know lots of people have gone the iPod route and been perfectly happy!

i totally get what you're saying about the transitions and whatnot definitely, i've just been to an infinite amount of weddings and just felt like "i wouldn't have played that" or had friends say the DJ didn't play anything they had requested for their reception, i feel like for the majority of the reception it would be more like ambiance music and then towards the end is when everyone finally gets going; but you totally have a valid point, it is one more thing to think about on the big day, do I want that headache or not:thanks:

Usually I recommend having a DJ if dancing and a party atmosphere is important to you, no matter the size of your group or time of day. And Disney's DJs all seem to be really good about Do Not Play lists.

However, I am also a control freak and super-specific in my musical taste. So for our brunch I created my own playlists, numbered them, and gave a cheat sheet to the family member who was running the iPod so he would know when to skip to the next playlist. They were:

1. Pre-Reception
  2. First Dance
  3. Reception I
  4. Parents' Dances
  5. Reception II
I made the Pre-Reception and two Reception playlists a few songs longer than they needed to be so the music would never run out, based on the event times in my BEO. It worked seamlessly—I talk about it in detail in my trip report.

However, I also did not want to be announced. And our cake-cutting just happened when I tracked down a catering CM and said I was ready to cut the cake. So if you want an MC to run the order of the reception and make announcements, a DJ or a really skilled friend/family member is a necessity.

Usually I recommend having a DJ if dancing and a party atmosphere is important to you, no matter the size of your group or time of day. And Disney's DJs all seem to be really good about Do Not Play lists.

However, I am also a control freak and super-specific in my musical taste. So for our brunch I created my own playlists, numbered them, and gave a cheat sheet to the family member who was running the iPod so he would know when to skip to the next playlist. They were:

1. Pre-Reception
  2. First Dance
  3. Reception I
  4. Parents' Dances
  5. Reception II
I made the Pre-Reception and two Reception playlists a few songs longer than they needed to be so the music would never run out, based on the event times in my BEO. It worked seamlessly—I talk about it in detail in my trip report.

However, I also did not want to be announced. And our cake-cutting just happened when I tracked down a catering CM and said I was ready to cut the cake. So if you want an MC to run the order of the reception and make announcements, a DJ or a really skilled friend/family member is a necessity.

THIS IS BEYOND HELPFUL, thank you! that makes me feel so much more confident in my decision of leaning towards no DJ, i love the organization, a woman after my own heart!! I don't know how i feel about an intro either, because quite honestly I want to enjoy cocktail hour WITH my guests and i feel like the first dance and all that seems like enough "announcing" for us haha. I literally just finished a cocktail hour playlist already (all classical covers of popular songs from The Piano Guys & Vitamin String Quartet) I'll keep timing in mind when that comes!! THANKYOU:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!