• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

opinions and ideas: best non-ride attractions for little kids?

thepoohbear

Mouseketeer
Fountains in EPCOT? Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground? Minnie's Country House?

Which attractions (non-ride) do toddler's enjoy the most? I just read on another post about playgrounds in EPCOT. I've been to WDW so many times and never noticed! Any other hidden, little known fun spots for kids?

We went to Disney World last year. At the time my son was 4. His most enjoyable attractions were:
MK: Legend of the Lion King (I believe they closed this.)
Mickey's Toontown Fair (he loved looking inside of Mickey's House and playing in Donald's boat),
AK: The playground in Dino Land
Watching the Tigers in India
EPCOT: Watching the human statue in France
The dancing fountains
The Circle of Life movie in the Land
MGM:Disney's Playhouse
The Muppet 3D Show
The Indiana Jones Stunt Show
The Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground was closed during our trip for rennovations but I am sure he would have loved it. In Downtown Disney, he loved Legoland, the choo choo train ride, and watching the birds in front of the Rainforest Cafe.
We will be going this fall, hopefully the playground in MGM will be open. I am sure your little one will be amazed at everything. It is so much fun watching them get excited over things we adults may overlook.

Another little but neat thing at Epcot is the lights in the sidewalk. Even at 9 my DS still likes them. Hey, I think they are pretty cool myself.

My DS used to love the Wonders of Live Pavillion. There are all kinds of "discovery" things in there.

Toon Town was always fun.

Norway in EPCOT has a cool play area with a ship and a seesaw.

In the afternoon the countries all have activites for the kids. France has painting but I can't remember each of the others.

He loved the Honey I Shrunk play area in MGM.

He still loves the petting area in Animal Kingdom.

In addition to all the other suggestions, my DS loves the Food Rocks show at Epcot and Playhouse Disney in MGM.

Have Fun:bounce:

We have 3 kids (now 7,6,and 2) who are Disney veterans by now! At Epcot, they love the fountains, Journey to imagination, Wonders of Life activities, and the Illuminations fireworks at night (best show in town!) At MK, best non-ride options for small ones are tiki birds and country bears shows, the shows in front of the castle, and Toontown. (Note -- Donald's boat is closed right now for refurbishment). In AK, kids enjoyed the Lion King. (We went to flights of wonder and Pocahontas, but kids couldn't seem to focus on it ... didn't move fast enough, or was too far away, or something...) And in MGM, oh my, this is THE PARK for shows! Playhouse Disney, The Little Mermaid, Muppet 3D (Again, tho', Beauty and Beast was too distant, like a play, to hold a young tot's attention). They liked the action stuff too, like Backlot tours and Indiana Jones, provided your small ones aren't scared of "kabooms" and the sight of fire.

ONE NOTE: We avoid LIKE THE PLAGUE the "playgounds" with our small ones (specifically, Honey I shrunk the kids). Personally, those playgounds have been a nightmare for us. The nooks and crannies are all kid accessible, but once your kid goes in 'em, you can't see them or find them! There is no age disntinction -- it was sheer pandemonium of everything from toddlers to pre-teens, running, pushing, shoving, pouring down slides, hanging from the rope nets... It appeared many had no parent watching them (I think the parents were in the eating area and had sent kids "off to play" while the adults ate/ rested). Parents that were there were, like us, either wedged in some cave trying to fish out a tyke or hollering our children's names blindly into the air in a desperate attenpt to keep an eye on them. Totally out of control. I did notice on our trip a week ago that Disney did at least put an "ages 4 and up" sign on the playground. That alone says it all -- we aren't the only parents who found it a safety hazard for the small set!

Cindy

Thanks, Cindy. I didn't know it was 4 and up and for some reason I pictured just small children at these playgrounds. We don't come across crowds at the playgrounds in our little town here so I guess I just never thought of it. Thanks for the heads up!

Thank you ck1 for posting about the playgrounds. I was looking forward to them & still will take the kids, but I will time it differently & prepare them with some rules before. I've been to playgrounds where I can easily see the kids & can relax & enjoy & some like you have described where I end up wiped out from stress right after! Yours is the first info I've heard describing the playgrounds so accurately for a mother of multiple children. I'm very glad you passed the info on.

We had the same experience with our 2 and 3 year old at "Honey I Lost the Kids" - the kids had a great time - we wish we'd never gone near the place! and we had four adults watching two children. The tunnels are not adult size, which means you have to crunch down or crawl through them after your toddler. The space is huge, so there isn't any way to sit back and watch for them. And watching my fifty five year old father climbing up the spider web after my three year old son was enough to give me a heart attack - much less him! (And their were older grandparents climbing up that damn thing - it was Feburary and cool, but I can't imagine it in the heat!).

Most of the kids when we were there seemed supervised and polite and careful of the little ones....but there are always exceptions in a place like this, and next time, my kids will be older.

My son's favorite non ride was the boat at Norway - which didn't have the scale problems of HISTK. My daughter was a sucker for character interaction. We could have taken her from character to character for a week and she'd have been thrilled!

Be sure to visit Belle's Fairytale garden in the Magic Kingdom and don't miss Cinderella's Surprise Castle Show. The Sword in the Stone Ceremony is another one the little ones seem to love.

At Ecpot, I agree about the boat playground in Norway, my kids (ages 9 and 7) still love that one! They also have a lot of fun playing with all the hands on activities in the Wonders of Life pavillion and in Innoventions.

MGM has all the great shows - don't miss Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Muppetvision 3D and Playhouse Disney, these are great for smaller children! Sounds dangerous can be scary for some children because it takes place in the dark, but there are lots of fun activities making sound effects in the room you exit into. If you child doesn't want to see the show, ask a CM about going through the exit so the kids can play with all the fun sound effect gadgets.

At Animal Kingdom don't miss Festival of the Lion King, this is simply mesmerizing to children! Younger children also really love Rafiki's Planet Watch. Take the Wildlife Express (train) over to this separate area where you can learn about the care of animals and visit a petting zoo.

Downtown Disney has the kiddie carousel and train and also a small playground for the younger set. And of course there's all the fun fountains that all children love - remember to bring bathing suits!

Have fun!

I agree with the posters about the Honey playground--we call it Honey H-E-doublehockeysticks! Your kids go in one place and come out another! We lost three kids so fast that all we could do was guard the exits and grab them when(if) we ever saw them again!

Now that they're teenagers, wouldn't mind losing them so much--lol!

What is Belle's Fairytale garden? And where is it?
How do you all know about these things? Are they on the maps and I just never noticed them? How have I been missing all these great things?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter