Opinion on 1-day TDL touring plan

themysteryofspace

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone

We're two active adults visiting Tokyo Disneyland on 20 September 2017. This will be my friend's first visit to a Disney park, so I'd like her to experience as many of the highlights as possible. Various crowd calendars suggest it would be a below-average to average attendance day. What do you think about the following touring plan?

08:00
Arrive, queue on the right

09:00
Rope drop
(Collect Monsters FP)
Pooh’s Hunny Hunt
Peter Pan
Roger Rabbit
Monsters (FP)
(Collect Space Mountain FP)
(Once Upon a Time Lottery)
Star Jets
Buzz
Space Mountain (FP)
(Collect Haunted FP)

11:00
Brunch at Queen of Hearts

11:45
Pinocchio
Snow White
Haunted (using FP)
Splash (single riders)
Pirates of the Caribbean
it's a small world
Philharmagic
Star Tours

15:00

Shop, relax, railroad, etc

17:20

Dinner at Crystal Palace

19:00
Parade, etc

21:00
Jungle Cruise
Pooh’s Hunny Hunt

22:00
Park closes

Thank you in advance.

:flower1:

We were there in July on a not so crowded day and neither Hanted Mansion FP nor Once Upon a Time lottery where being used. There was a sign at the entrance alerting the attractions that were not using FP.

You should be able to do more than just two rides afterwards the parade, especially in Fantasyland. That can be a good chance for a second ride on Peter Pan.

For single rider at Splash, you need to ask the CM at the FP entrance about it and they wil send you into then FP line until you get where the collect FPs. There's you say you are a single rider and then they sort you into the single rider line. Works great!

We loved exploring Tom Sawyer Island and to me that is something quintessential Disney.

Hmmmmm. That's a LOT of stuff. And some of it, I wouldn't really call "highlights" of Tokyo Disneyland (e.g. Roger Rabbit). I'm not 100% sure your Fast Pass strategy will work in practice - obtaining and using two FPs before 11am will really depend upon the crowds, especially if the first FP is for Monsters Inc.

I'm pretty sure that Star Jets has now closed. Unless I'm getting it mixed up with another Astro Orbiters-esque ride. And have you checked whether there are any scheduled ride closures?

Does your friend want to do that much running around? I'd look at doing more of Fantasyland later in the evening than around midday. Tokyo Disneyland doesn't attract a lot of children, but those rides still tend to be busy during "peak" times in my experience.

Otherwise, it seems like a fine plan, especially the first few rides (i.e. FP for Monsters, standby for Pooh, etc). I'd just be open to "going with the flow". I'm a planner and often those plans change in practice. For example, if it rains heavily, then the vast majority of "locals" will probably go home and the low crowds will mean no Fast Passes being offered except for Monsters Inc.

Have fun!

It should be an easy day for you in terms of the crowds. Still, you probably have two attractions too many (this is just a hunch), as even on a well-ordered, ambitious day it's hard to get everyhting in. If it starts rain suddenly, that might reduce the line at Pooh if you want to consider that a good moment for doing it a second time.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time on Star Jets because it's similar to other amusement park attractions, and Star Tours is a motion simulator, not all that impressive anymore. But I guess everyone has a different opinion.

I was just in the park today,and I can tell you your FP strategy probably won't work. I made it to Monsters fastpass machine ten minutes after opening, and return time was already at 11:30. Space is also a later fastpass return, and Buzz actually built up a 40 minute line in the am. Also, small world and Jungle Cruise will be down. Haunted FP and Once Upon a Dream lottery weren't running today with low crowds.

Do you have reservations for dinner already?

Like others have suggested, try to go with the flow! This is a good plan to try to follow, but look at wait times/fastpass and be flexible! I'd also forget star jets and add Country Bears and Tiki room.

Last edited:
I was just in the park today,and I can tell you your FP strategy probably won't work. I made it to Monsters fastpass machine ten minutes after opening, and return time was already at 11:30. Space is also a later fastpass return, and Buzz actually built up a 40 minute line in the am. Also, small world and Buzz will be down. Haunted FP and Once Upon a Dream lottery weren't running today with low crowds.

Were you in the park Saturday or Sunday?

Chances are Thursday, September 20th will be lower attendance, but maybe not by much.....

We were there twice, each time on a very crowded (but not weekend-hideous) August day. We managed to do everything except for Star Jets and Jungle Cruise. We even did Tom Sawyer Island and the riverboat ride. It was super-tiring but totally worth it.

Unfortunatley, it looks like some things will be temporaroly closed according to the official site's list of park closures. That includes Big Thunder and Jungle Cruise. Also, it looks like Small World has been closed since March of this year with no opening date listed. I see that official park closure for Buzz as being in December, so it should be open when you are there:

http://info.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/schedule/stop/stop_list.html

Were you in the park Saturday or Sunday?

Chances are Thursday, September 20th will be lower attendance, but maybe not by much.....

We were there twice, each time on a very crowded (but not weekend-hideous) August day. We managed to do everything except for Star Jets and Jungle Cruise. We even did Tom Sawyer Island and the riverboat ride. It was super-tiring but totally worth it.

Unfortunatley, it looks like some things will be temporaroly closed according to the official site's list of park closures. That includes Big Thunder and Jungle Cruise. Also, it looks like Small World has been closed since March of this year with no opening date listed. I see that official park closure for Buzz as being in December, so it should be open when you are there:

http://info.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/schedule/stop/stop_list.html

The Temporary Closure of Park Attractions list is very accurate and I once cancelled plans to go when I noticed Journey to the Center of the Earth was going to be down. Annoying for sure if you're coming from far, but its the main reason why the attractions all look brand new and have all the effects working on every visit.

Star Jets is closing October 10th, 2017 for the new Beauty and the Beast expansion and the new theater. Its a Small World is closed for good in its old building and it is currently getting rebuilt further back in Fantasyland.

To all who replied: thank you so much. I haven't been able to get online till now.

Yes, agree the plan is quite ambitious, and will think of it more as a flexible guideline. However, being a theme park fanatic living in a country with one and a half lousy theme parks, I try to get as much done as possible whenever I get to visit one, so I'm usually quite an enthusiastic and tireless visitor. But I'll see how my friend feels and play it by ear.

Didn't realise that the FP returns would be so late - will work around it. If line for buzz too long, may consider skipping it. Also, my friend also just informed me she isn't prepared to ride Space (nervous) so I get to use her FP as well :))))

The reason Star Jets is on the list is because I read it was closing down and isn't it the last remaining "classic" jets? Roger Rabbit is fun though - I think my friend will love it :) Also, I used to think Star Tours was lamish until I tried sitting at the back - it was a much more intense experience. Definitely will consider Country Bear, Tikki, etc as fillers. Also love Tom Sawyer and we may escape there in the afternoon.

I had actually consulted the ride closures but Jungle Cruise wasn't on the list at that point, unless I missed it. Pity about that... Also bummed about Thunder Mountain, but am just relieved it's not Space. Not personally fussed about it's a small world, probably my least favourite dark ride, but my friend would have enjoyed it :(

Yes, have booked for Crystal Palace and was impressed with the highly efficient booking experience. Called the booking line, but as the operator didn't speak English (and I don't speak Japanese!) they set up a 3-way call with an interpreter which was a lot of fun.

Thanks again for the all the great tips. Am very grateful.

Just a bit of feedback regarding our visit to TDL. Firstly, LOVED the park. It was clean, well-maintained, highly efficient, orderly, respectful.The guests really get into the spirit with many dressing up in costume and being very enthusiastic all around. Although it was supposed to be a moderately crowded day, it certainly felt quite busy. Our early strategy morning worked quite well and we very much enjoyed Pooh as well as Monsters. As I had not researched these rides at all, they were both an exhilarating surprise. We managed to get most of our list done but we had to skip Peter Pan, Buzz and Philharmagic. Only really missed Peter Pan as Monsters beats Buzz hands-down and Philharmagic would have been confusing in Japanese. Did manage to ride Splash 3 times with the super efficient single rider line. Also got onto Space twice, despite a lengthy breakdown.

The merchandise was just fabulous and was fun to explore the World Bizarre where the layout contrasts to Main Street. As Star Jets was about to close I got a commemorative "Final Mission" sticker and bought the corresponding pin. FYI - pin trading doesn't seem to be a thing and you won't find too many to purchase. Other highlights included Snow White, which felt even more evil than usual. Space Mountain was raw and thrilling without any updated theming.

The park was hyper clean. At night, teams of cast members were seen scouring the ground for trash. One held a torch to illuminate the ground and another a tiny scoop, evidently because if there were to happen just a single piece of trash, it would probably be microscopic. (This actually applies to the whole of Japan, where you can literally eat off the floor. But please don't, as the Japanese view the floor as absolutely disgusting and would be horrified to see you sit on it, let alone eat off of it).

Tips to first-time travelers to TDR. Leave plenty of time to get to the resort. The public transportation system is incredibly complex and navigation is difficult even with the indispensable Google Maps. But don't be afraid to ask for help at any point during your trip to Japan. The locals will go out of their way to courteously and graciously assist you with any query. Just learn a few phrases such as "sumimasen = excuse me" and "... doko deska" = "where is ...". We did not come across many English-speakers, even at the park and found Google Translate to be extremely useful. I also utilised some pre-prepared flash cards that were appreciated, for example one stating "single rider" in Japanese. Do bring water with you into the park as you might find yourself in a long queue for a refreshment only to discover only cold green tea is served. Definitely try the honey popcorn outside Pooh. If you plan to dine at Queen of Hearts... arrive early! Dining at the park involves less conventional fast food, and more caters to the tastes of locals. In fact, the park is targeted at locals, and perhaps tourists from other parts of Asia. Do not expect much to be offered in English. This would make it less than ideal for non-Japanese kids, and there were far fewer children at the park in general.

Finally, planning your trip to TDR and Japan is crucial. The more organised you are, the less time you will waste getting lost and overwhelmed. So I must thank you all for assisting us in that endeavour!

Oh yes, and my friend loooooooooooooooooooooved her first visit to a Disney Park. She was a great sport and made it till about sundown, when the jetlag, culture shock and motion fatigue set in and she decided to head back to the Airbnb and forgo our booking at Crystal Palace and the evening parade / fireworks. Since she works for Disney and has a Silver Pass, there's always a second chance for that!

Just a bit of feedback regarding our visit to TDL. Firstly, LOVED the park. It was clean, well-maintained, highly efficient, orderly, respectful.The guests really get into the spirit with many dressing up in costume and being very enthusiastic all around. Although it was supposed to be a moderately crowded day, it certainly felt quite busy. Our early strategy morning worked quite well and we very much enjoyed Pooh as well as Monsters. As I had not researched these rides at all, they were both an exhilarating surprise. We managed to get most of our list done but we had to skip Peter Pan, Buzz and Philharmagic. Only really missed Peter Pan as Monsters beats Buzz hands-down and Philharmagic would have been confusing in Japanese. Did manage to ride Splash 3 times with the super efficient single rider line. Also got onto Space twice, despite a lengthy breakdown.

The merchandise was just fabulous and was fun to explore the World Bizarre where the layout contrasts to Main Street. As Star Jets was about to close I got a commemorative "Final Mission" sticker and bought the corresponding pin. FYI - pin trading doesn't seem to be a thing and you won't find too many to purchase. Other highlights included Snow White, which felt even more evil than usual. Space Mountain was raw and thrilling without any updated theming.

The park was hyper clean. At night, teams of cast members were seen scouring the ground for trash. One held a torch to illuminate the ground and another a tiny scoop, evidently because if there were to happen just a single piece of trash, it would probably be microscopic. (This actually applies to the whole of Japan, where you can literally eat off the floor. But please don't, as the Japanese view the floor as absolutely disgusting and would be horrified to see you sit on it, let alone eat off of it).

Tips to first-time travelers to TDR. Leave plenty of time to get to the resort. The public transportation system is incredibly complex and navigation is difficult even with the indispensable Google Maps. But don't be afraid to ask for help at any point during your trip to Japan. The locals will go out of their way to courteously and graciously assist you with any query. Just learn a few phrases such as "sumimasen = excuse me" and "... doko deska" = "where is ...". We did not come across many English-speakers, even at the park and found Google Translate to be extremely useful. I also utilised some pre-prepared flash cards that were appreciated, for example one stating "single rider" in Japanese. Do bring water with you into the park as you might find yourself in a long queue for a refreshment only to discover only cold green tea is served. Definitely try the honey popcorn outside Pooh. If you plan to dine at Queen of Hearts... arrive early! Dining at the park involves less conventional fast food, and more caters to the tastes of locals. In fact, the park is targeted at locals, and perhaps tourists from other parts of Asia. Do not expect much to be offered in English. This would make it less than ideal for non-Japanese kids, and there were far fewer children at the park in general.

Finally, planning your trip to TDR and Japan is crucial. The more organised you are, the less time you will waste getting lost and overwhelmed. So I must thank you all for assisting us in that endeavour!

Oh yes, and my friend loooooooooooooooooooooved her first visit to a Disney Park. She was a great sport and made it till about sundown, when the jetlag, culture shock and motion fatigue set in and she decided to head back to the Airbnb and forgo our booking at Crystal Palace and the evening parade / fireworks. Since she works for Disney and has a Silver Pass, there's always a second chance for that!

Sound like you had a great day! One fascinating thing about Space Mountain is that it was redone in 2006-2007 with a new fleet of rockets and effects on the lift hills and station. They went to the awesome Matrix like logo and added all the amazing effects before the gravity portion. The trip through space is like it used to be, with just stars illuminating our journey. Track is gradually being replaced and that's why it has those long 2.5-3 months yearly closures.

Did you find Splash Mountain felt "bigger" than the one in WDW? Whenever I ride it, its the impression I get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter