Opinion: Doubletree Disney Springs or WBC?

WoolBaby

Earning My Ears
Looking for some opinions / advice. Last trip to WDW was in Feb 2015. Rented DVC points for 10 days in a 1 bedroom at BLT and it was fabulous. Planning on going again in Feb 2020. Kids are older now (ages 10 and 12) so would like to do 7 nights around WDW and 5 nights at Universal.

Thinking of trying offsite this trip to save some money. Trying to decide between Doubletree Disney Springs or WBC for WDW portion. Our family needs space to spread out and I would like to stay close to WDW. Now that they are older, the kids prefer sleeping on a bed rather than pull-out (can’t fault them for this). Unsure if we will be renting a car for the trip. I love the resort amenities, the sheer size of the 2 bed / 2 baths, washer / dryer, and full kitchen at WBC. However, I am a planner and being able to book fastpasses 60 days + in advance from staying at Doubletree is a really ++ great perk. From what I read, it is difficult to get on the popular rides with booking fastpasses 30 days out. Is that true? We tend to avoid EMH. Saving money on parking by using Disney Springs Hotel Shuttle would also be nice.

I have looked into renting DVC points again for 1 bedroom (OKW is available) but it’s about $1300-$1500 US more than staying offsite so that is a lot of dinners out. Plus there is the issue of the girls liking to sleep on a bed rather than a pullout.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Have you thought about renting a condo in Bonnet Creek through a site like VRBO?

Also everything is going to be MUCH harder without a rented car if you aren't on Disney(or Universal) property. Some of the shuttles at the other hotels are seriously lacking.

Looking for some opinions / advice. Last trip to WDW was in Feb 2015. Rented DVC points for 10 days in a 1 bedroom at BLT and it was fabulous. Planning on going again in Feb 2020. Kids are older now (ages 10 and 12) so would like to do 7 nights around WDW and 5 nights at Universal.

Thinking of trying offsite this trip to save some money. Trying to decide between Doubletree Disney Springs or WBC for WDW portion. Our family needs space to spread out and I would like to stay close to WDW. Now that they are older, the kids prefer sleeping on a bed rather than pull-out (can’t fault them for this). Unsure if we will be renting a car for the trip. I love the resort amenities, the sheer size of the 2 bed / 2 baths, washer / dryer, and full kitchen at WBC. However, I am a planner and being able to book fastpasses 60 days + in advance from staying at Doubletree is a really ++ great perk. From what I read, it is difficult to get on the popular rides with booking fastpasses 30 days out. Is that true? We tend to avoid EMH. Saving money on parking by using Disney Springs Hotel Shuttle would also be nice.

I have looked into renting DVC points again for 1 bedroom (OKW is available) but it’s about $1300-$1500 US more than staying offsite so that is a lot of dinners out. Plus there is the issue of the girls liking to sleep on a bed rather than a pullout.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

The really popular rides like FoP, SDD, 7DMT are almost never available at 30 days. Sometimes they are hard to come by at 60 days, and people have to wait until the end of a longer trip so they can book SDD at 60+5 days. This is not to say that with some diligent stalking you won't be able to grab some later on, even the day before or day of in the parks, but if you're a planner, this probably isn't going to work for you.

If you don't have a car, you can stay at Doubletree without a problem. Get an Uber/cab/towncar from MCO, and use Disney transportation for the WDW portion of the trip. When you go to Universal, you can either pick up a rental car in Disney Springs and be on your way, or you can take an Uber/cab over to Universal and stay onsite there without one.

WBC definitely has better pools, so your resort time will be more enjoyable, along with the ability to spread out a bit more. But you will need a car, so factor in the cost of rental and parking. I suppose if you're really park warriors, it might be cheaper if to forego the car and use Uber, but that would mean going over in the morning and coming back when you are done for the day, not paying for extra trips back for an afternoon swim or nap. On the other hand, the ability to prepare some of your own meals can at least partially offset the cost of a car rental, and there definitely is value in being able to come and go at your own whim rather than a set bus schedule.

Why don’t you let your family decide. See if the kids would prefer their own separate beds and bathroom with the trade off of having to get up early for rope drop to do those rides you could not get a fass pass for or a hotel room with 2 queen beds and one bathroom for all 4 of you with sharing a bed but hopefully fass pass in hand for the popular rides.

Do they have Disney buses that pick you up from the Doubletree and take you to the parks? if so can you put a scooter on the buses?

Two of my favorite places ... we drive everywhere from both.

WBC hands down wins for the lodging, space, kitchen, balcony, pools and cost/value with lower per night $ and free parking.

Doubletree wins if you need the free bus system to get to the parks because you have no car or want to avoid parking costs at parks (you'll have to pay to park at hotel). It also had Disney Springs and some other places on 535 walk-able for dining options.

WBC has a bus you must reserve and pay for and nothing is walk-able outside the resort. We do not use their bus.

Depends on your priorities.

Thanks for the opinions everyone! WBC is still very very tempting but I have decided to stay at the Doubletree for the time being. I managed to snag a 2 bedroom (1 king / 2 queens) with 2 bath / living room / kitchenette for 8 nights at a huge discount for our dates in February (thank you Hilton for your price match plus 25% off policy). Yes, the hotel doesn't have the same gorgeous amenities as WBC but at least I get the space I want plus the 60 day fastpass.

Thanks for the opinions everyone! WBC is still very very tempting but I have decided to stay at the Doubletree for the time being. I managed to snag a 2 bedroom (1 king / 2 queens) with 2 bath / living room / kitchenette for 8 nights at a huge discount for our dates in February (thank you Hilton for your price match plus 25% off policy). Yes, the hotel doesn't have the same gorgeous amenities as WBC but at least I get the space I want plus the 60 day fastpass.
Looking into this hotel also. If you don't mind answering - what were your rates per night. We are trying to compare prices too before we book! Thank you! :)

Looking into this hotel also. If you don't mind answering - what were your rates per night. We are trying to compare prices too before we book! Thank you! :)

I ended up cancelling at Doubletree and renting DVC points for a 1 bedroom onsite after all.

The unbelievable price that I got for a 2 bedroom suite (1 king plus 2 queen beds) at Doubletree Hilton was $250 US a night. But as I said, it was only because of their guarantee to beat another site's price by 25%. Taxes were an additional $264 and resort fee was an additional $108. It would have also cost us another $22 a night for parking our rental vehicle as well.

Hope that helps!

I ended up cancelling at Doubletree and renting DVC points for a 1 bedroom onsite after all.

The unbelievable price that I got for a 2 bedroom suite (1 king plus 2 queen beds) at Doubletree Hilton was $250 US a night. But as I said, it was only because of their guarantee to beat another site's price by 25%. Taxes were an additional $264 and resort fee was an additional $108. It would have also cost us another $22 a night for parking our rental vehicle as well.

Hope that helps!
Wow! Yes, this helps! Thank you! Enjoy your vaca!

Hope that helps!
If your kids don't like the DVC pullout, you could bring a pair of air mattresses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter