Operation enables Christopher Reeve to breathe without a respirator

jfulcer

DIS Old Timer
CLEVELAND (AP) - Doctors have implanted electrodes in Christopher Reeve's diaphragm in an experiment designed to enable the paralyzed actor to breathe on his own, hospital officials said today.

Reeve and Drs. Raymond Onders and Anthony DiMarco planned to talk about the Feb. 28 procedure later today at University Hospitals, hospital spokesman Eric Sandstrom said.

The results of the operation are promising, Onders told The New York Times.

The newspaper said Onders performed the surgery at University Hospitals of Cleveland. Nursing supervisor Nancy Funk would not confirm early Thursday that Reeve had received treatment at the hospital.

Reeve, 50, has been on a respirator since he broke his neck in a horseback riding accident eight years ago. He is expected to discuss the surgery at a news conference Thursday in Cleveland.

The outpatient operation, called diaphragm pacing via laparoscopy, involves threading tiny wires through small incisions in the diaphragm. The wires connect a control box worn outside the body to electrodes on the diaphragm.

The control box sends a signal to the electrodes 12 times a minute, causing the diaphragm to contract and air to be sucked into the lungs. When the nerve is unstimulated, the diaphragm relaxes and the air is expelled.

Reeve, the third person to undergo the procedure, can currently breathe for more than two hours without the respirator, compared to 10 minutes before the surgery. As his diaphragm muscles get stronger, Reeve is expected to be able to do away with the respirator entirely.

Over time, Reeve will also be able to speak more normally and to breathe naturally, Onders told the Times.

The Food and Drug Administration has so far approved diaphragm pacing via laparoscopy for 35 patients.

I saw that this morning on the news. I was so happy for him!!! I hope that someday he is able to breathe completely on his own :)

I saw part of the new conference where he mentioned that he could smell things for the first time since his accident. He said that the very first thing that the brought him was a cup of coffee and that he was actually able to "wake up and smell the coffee". He is such a ham. I'm glad that his outlook is still so positive and that advances in medical technology are bringing him a more normal existance.

I cannot belive it has been 8 years....Glad to hear he is doing well.;)

AND kudos to his supportive and loving wife, Dana. She has been by his side and fighting with him all along. It takes a very committed person to remember her marriage vows and stick with him through sickness and health!

I give her a lot of credit!

That is such wonderful news! I hope that things just keep getting better and better for him and the other 35 patients who are receiving the same sort of treatment! :bounce: Go Superman!

I'm really pleased for him.:) He always comes across as such a nice person and deserves everything that makes his life more comfortable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter