Onsite Deluxe to Offsite—Will We Regret It?

We had actually considered staying our entire week at Portofino, because it was just $228 per night and the cost is more than double at the Polynesian, but we are skeptical because of having to commute to Disney for our days there.
I agree it wouldn't be the easiest commute. If I were doing more than 2 days at Disney I would definitely stay closer to Disney. But staying at Portofino made me realize what the other options were out there. Some really nice ones.

My advice would be to do offsite in a place like Sheraton Vistana or Bonnet Creek for your Disney portion to maximize your savings, and still have a short commute and excellent resort feel. My boys are 8 and 10, so similar ages to your crew. I think they're at the point where they're able to go all day in a park, or at least a large portion of it, without needing to go back and rest. Being a walk or a monorail ride from a park is a great perk, but it becomes less necessary when you don't need frequent access to your room. We stayed at the Vistana last time, and loved the space and the room to spread out. We also saved money by having daily breakfast in our kitchen. A rental car is an added expense, but we found it totally worth it. The cost was partially offset by the money we saved eating dinner at offsite restaurants.

For the Universal portion, I think splurging will make more of a difference. If you stay in one of the premium resorts (Portofino, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific) you get unlimited fast pass access. The other resorts there are very nice, too. We stayed at Cabana Bay last fall, and I would recommend it as a resort (two pool courtyards, one with a slide and the other with a lazy river), but our park tickets had unlimited express passes on them. Not having to wait in crazy long lines really optimized our park time.

I wouldn't stay at Universal and commute to Disney, though. They're not THAT far apart, but you don't want to start your day dealing with all that traffic.

My advice would be to do offsite in a place like Sheraton Vistana or Bonnet Creek for your Disney portion to maximize your savings, and still have a short commute and excellent resort feel. My boys are 8 and 10, so similar ages to your crew. I think they're at the point where they're able to go all day in a park, or at least a large portion of it, without needing to go back and rest. Being a walk or a monorail ride from a park is a great perk, but it becomes less necessary when you don't need frequent access to your room. We stayed at the Vistana last time, and loved the space and the room to spread out. We also saved money by having daily breakfast in our kitchen. A rental car is an added expense, but we found it totally worth it. The cost was partially offset by the money we saved eating dinner at offsite restaurants.

For the Universal portion, I think splurging will make more of a difference. If you stay in one of the premium resorts (Portofino, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific) you get unlimited fast pass access. The other resorts there are very nice, too. We stayed at Cabana Bay last fall, and I would recommend it as a resort (two pool courtyards, one with a slide and the other with a lazy river), but our park tickets had unlimited express passes on them. Not having to wait in crazy long lines really optimized our park time.

I wouldn't stay at Universal and commute to Disney, though. They're not THAT far apart, but you don't want to start your day dealing with all that traffic.

I should have added in my post that I was diagnosed with Lupus 3 years ago and was already battling Graves’ Disease. Some of our reasons for proximity were as much for my health issues as they are for our boys. It was helpful being on the monorail with 3 7 year olds, but I agree, they are a bit older (will be almost 10) and it is less necessary for us to go back to the resort for a break for them. That said, although I have been in denial that the Lupus is affecting me, it most definitely is. There were times on our last trip where I became extremely tired all of a sudden and just needed to go back to our hotel and rest. A trip in January does make things easier because I’m not battling the heat or the sun exposure. Stress brings on Lupus flares, and, I guess we were just concerned that since we are not used to driving in an urban area, avoiding driving might be a good idea. That does still allow a stay at a resort with a good shuttle.

We have always stayed deluxe at WDW and I love Portofino Bay Hotel more than any Disney hotel. We will be there for labor day, paying 270 bucks for a huge room overlooking the bay. It makes it harder to justify staying onsite, and is a factor (but not the only factor) in my decision to take my family off site entirely for our next trip. You can get something so nice and beautifully themed for half the price.

I just looked at booking Portofino with Club Level to help save on food (breakfast at least anyway). The cost for 4 days is only $371. The Beach Club rate we have booked is $380 and the Poly rate is 457. How would it work if we did 2 nights at BC, then 4 at Portofino and returned to Disney for 2 at Polynesian. That way, we could still benefit from Disney's Magical Express like my husband wants. We currently have 4 nights booked at BC and 4 at Poly with dining plan at both and tickets for 6 days, which I don’t think we will need that many. Will we regret a big gap like that in our Disney stays? It would save us quite a bit of money, but not nearly as much as moving off site entirely. DH said he would consider trying Port Orleans, but honestly, the Polynesian room was okay for size with 5 people. I think we would feel cramped in 1 POR room.

My husband is always the same way about any vacations. He never wants to plan anything and complains about what it cost while I'm doing all the planing. So frustrating! After a few years of marriage and experiences with this frustration I labeled his syndrome "spoiled child grown up syndrome!" He grew up in family that enjoyed the finer things in life and still wants them but we can't always afford his taste.

After almost 25 years of marriage I have learned the best approach is to plan two vacations to the the same destination. One more budget friendly that still includes the majority of our families must haves NEEDS. For example, we do better with space over a traditional hotel room. (Well, actually he does better with space. The kids and I are fine in one room but that a whole other can of worms.) Then I plan the another with all the perks he is use to having when he travels for business or how he traveled growing up. Basically, how he prefers to travel when someone else foots the bill. Then we typically plan a date night out to dinner sands kids and with numbers and pics in hand I show him both options. We go over the pros and cons of both types of vacations and try to agree at this point which vacation works best. Typically we end up booking the budget friendly one but there have been a few occasions when we go for broke and splurge. We may also spent this time tweaking a few things. For my husband it took me a few years to figure out that me asking his opinion as I planned with everyday life in our family going on around him didn't get him invested in participating in the process. It worked better to get his opinion if he had evidence to ponder as to the pros and cons of each vacation style without the disruption of family life going on around him. He's a numbers guy so once he saw what that monorail line room or convenience of the DDP was costing broken down in cost compared to staying a few miles away in a nice offsite condo resort and renting a car and driving a bit he was able to weigh if it was worth it to him or not.

As someone who stays both on and offsite I highly recommend having a car if you decided to go offsite. Also, if you decided to do offsite your husband is bound to compare offsite to his experience onsite. Personally, I would stay at a nicer condo resort or house. I would recommend Bonnet Creek or Sheraton Vistana Villages. The Sheraton is further away but very nice. I would stick with higher end offsite condo or houses this trip to get him and you use to off site. Another thing to consider is condos and homes do not come with daily maid service. I personally get all the family on board with the fact that they will need to pick up after themselves as neither my husband or I do well in clutter. I was not about to spending my vacation cleaning so that is established before we book. You may also wish to discuss how you will deal with meals while staying in a condo or home. FYI- just because there is a full kitchen does not mean you have to cook. We typically do breakfast in the room and still book some adrs in the parks. Yet, I highly suggest having this planned out before you commit to this style of vacation. I loved having a in room washer and dryer as I loath coming home to the piles of dirty vacation laundry but again just because you have a washer and dryer does not mean you must use it.

A nice compromise hotel is booking a two bedroom villa at the Caribe Royale. These sit in a separate building at the back of the resort. They are basically 2 bedroom condos with all the perks of the resort including daily maid service! They are very nice but a bit more expensive then typical condo rentals but less then the poly for sure. I won't lie it's not as nice as staying at the poly but for the price it is a lovely resort with a great pool area. They do offer shuttles to Disney but they are limited at best. I would recommend a rental car still. Especially since you plan on doing Universal this trip as well.

Best of luck with your planning. Either way you're bound to have a great trip.

My husband is always the same way about any vacations. He never wants to plan anything and complains about what it cost while I'm doing all the planing. So frustrating! After a few years of marriage and experiences with this frustration I labeled his syndrome "spoiled child grown up syndrome!" He grew up in family that enjoyed the finer things in life and still wants them but we can't always afford his taste.

After almost 25 years of marriage I have learned the best approach is to plan two vacations to the the same destination. One more budget friendly that still includes the majority of our families must haves NEEDS. For example, we do better with space over a traditional hotel room. (Well, actually he does better with space. The kids and I are fine in one room but that a whole other can of worms.) Then I plan the another with all the perks he is use to having when he travels for business or how he traveled growing up. Basically, how he prefers to travel when someone else foots the bill. Then we typically plan a date night out to dinner sands kids and with numbers and pics in hand I show him both options. We go over the pros and cons of both types of vacations and try to agree at this point which vacation works best. Typically we end up booking the budget friendly one but there have been a few occasions when we go for broke and splurge. We may also spent this time tweaking a few things. For my husband it took me a few years to figure out that me asking his opinion as I planned with everyday life in our family going on around him didn't get him invested in participating in the process. It worked better to get his opinion if he had evidence to ponder as to the pros and cons of each vacation style without the disruption of family life going on around him. He's a numbers guy so once he saw what that monorail line room or convenience of the DDP was costing broken down in cost compared to staying a few miles away in a nice offsite condo resort and renting a car and driving a bit he was able to weigh if it was worth it to him or not.

As someone who stays both on and offsite I highly recommend having a car if you decided to go offsite. Also, if you decided to do offsite your husband is bound to compare offsite to his experience onsite. Personally, I would stay at a nicer condo resort or house. I would recommend Bonnet Creek or Sheraton Vistana Villages. The Sheraton is further away but very nice. I would stick with higher end offsite condo or houses this trip to get him and you use to off site. Another thing to consider is condos and homes do not come with daily maid service. I personally get all the family on board with the fact that they will need to pick up after themselves as neither my husband or I do well in clutter. I was not about to spending my vacation cleaning so that is established before we book. You may also wish to discuss how you will deal with meals while staying in a condo or home. FYI- just because there is a full kitchen does not mean you have to cook. We typically do breakfast in the room and still book some adrs in the parks. Yet, I highly suggest having this planned out before you commit to this style of vacation. I loved having a in room washer and dryer as I loath coming home to the piles of dirty vacation laundry but again just because you have a washer and dryer does not mean you must use it.

A nice compromise hotel is booking a two bedroom villa at the Caribe Royale. These sit in a separate building at the back of the resort. They are basically 2 bedroom condos with all the perks of the resort including daily maid service! They are very nice but a bit more expensive then typical condo rentals but less then the poly for sure. I won't lie it's not as nice as staying at the poly but for the price it is a lovely resort with a great pool area. They do offer shuttles to Disney but they are limited at best. I would recommend a rental car still. Especially since you plan on doing Universal this trip as well.

Best of luck with your planning. Either way you're bound to have a great trip.

Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions. Our husbands sound similar, but are different. I was actually the one who grew up doing more family vacations, although I wouldn’t say they were lavish. His parents had the money, but were, and still are, very frugal with their money. Not a bad quality. My father-in-law is who I go to for all my investment questions. That said, my husband lives exactly the opposite of how his parents have. It frustrates him that I got to have all these wonderful experiences, including a Disney vacation, and he didn’t but could have. Our issue is more in that he has other destinations he wants to go—Pigeon Forge, Alaska, possibly the Caribbean. He loved the convenience of our Poly trip. He said to me it was the most relaxing vacation we have ever done. We were straight out, But everything was paid for in advance so there was no stress about money or traveling anywhere but, like me, is in sticker shock over the price. 2 trips totaling close to 15k does seem unreasonable.

Our biggest concern is the driving. We live in a very rural area. Traffic is never a concern for our morning commutes. I will definitely check out the Carribe Royale as thst does sound like something we would like. The one issue we did have with the Poly, even more than the smaller/limited space, is not having an in-room washer and dryer. It was quite a pain to lug our laundry twice during our visit to the laundry facilities at the Polynesian, and it wasn’t cheap. I think we spent around $80. We packed light and have boys who get things dirty easily. We looked into renting a 2 bedroom on Disney property and it is just not in our budget at all.

We managed with one room, but we would naturally love separate sleeping quarters for us and the boys. Like you, I could see us using the kitchen for breakfast, but not necessarily for dinner.

I have been to Disney about eight times and I have stayed on site, but never with kids. I know the differences between the two and it is certainly a different experience staying on site but I didn’t hate staying offsite either. DH and our kids only know staying on site. I just don’t want to get there and regret it!

We have 5 kids and only stay offsite. If it was once or twice in a lifetime trip we could absolutely splurge and go big. My husband would be good with never going back, if we did it that way. He loves this vacation, but he is also highly practical about spending/investing and college savings. With 5 kids, one of us has to be. :-)

But, I love this vacation and so do my kids. So, I will gladly stay offsite each time if it means we can keep going back!! I love the condos for space, too. Love putting kids to bed at end of the night and closing door! A glass of wine while I fold laundry (since it's right in the units!), and we are all set for the next day.

You've received a lot of great feedback already so I won't reiterate anything, but I do think that a triple split stay is going to be exhausting. Unless you get overlapping reservations, you'll find yourself "homeless" for those switch days. And if you stock a fridge, you'll need to figure out how to transport all of that. If you look at my signature line, you'll see that we've stayed at pretty much every level of Disney resort as well as offsite...and you'll notice a trend in recent years to offsite (particularly Bonnet Creek), the extra space, kitchen, and the washer and dryer really make a difference for us. We like driving and pick up a rental car at MCO, the control and flexibility is just big for us. But we also live in a suburban area and I drive into our capitol city for work, so dealing with traffic is familiar. We've done DME a couple of times over the years. The most recent was DS and I took a trip a year and a half ago and met my Floridian parents at WDW, so we took DME from the airport. As we stood in that big cattle call line for about an hour before even boarding a bus I said "you know what's magical? Me, in a rental car, at our resort by now" I just don't love the DME experience.

We have 5 kids and only stay offsite. If it was once or twice in a lifetime trip we could absolutely splurge and go big. My husband would be good with never going back, if we did it that way. He loves this vacation, but he is also highly practical about spending/investing and college savings. With 5 kids, one of us has to be. :-)

But, I love this vacation and so do my kids. So, I will gladly stay offsite each time if it means we can keep going back!! I love the condos for space, too. Love putting kids to bed at end of the night and closing door! A glass of wine while I fold laundry (since it's right in the units!), and we are all set for the next day.

Everything you have described is what we missed staying at the Polynesian. That said, we really did love the resort and had an amazing vacation.

You've received a lot of great feedback already so I won't reiterate anything, but I do think that a triple split stay is going to be exhausting. Unless you get overlapping reservations, you'll find yourself "homeless" for those switch days. And if you stock a fridge, you'll need to figure out how to transport all of that. If you look at my signature line, you'll see that we've stayed at pretty much every level of Disney resort as well as offsite...and you'll notice a trend in recent years to offsite (particularly Bonnet Creek), the extra space, kitchen, and the washer and dryer really make a difference for us. We like driving and pick up a rental car at MCO, the control and flexibility is just big for us. But we also live in a suburban area and I drive into our capitol city for work, so dealing with traffic is familiar. We've done DME a couple of times over the years. The most recent was DS and I took a trip a year and a half ago and met my Floridian parents at WDW, so we took DME from the airport. As we stood in that big cattle call line for about an hour before even boarding a bus I said "you know what's magical? Me, in a rental car, at our resort by now" I just don't love the DME experience.

I do recall waiting in line for a while for DME. I am admittedly concerned that changing hotels 3 times is a bad idea. We considered just doing a throw away room at Universal for the Express Pass. I guess we need to evaluate exactly what it is we want to do. We definitely want to go to Universal for at least a couple of days.

We considered just doing a throw away room at Universal for the Express Pass. I guess we need to evaluate exactly what it is we want to do. We definitely want to go to Universal for at least a couple of days.

You know, I might go this route if it were us, not necessarily throw it away altogether, but use a room as a home base for a mid day break and a swim or something. Then just go back to your other resort to sleep at the end of the day. Or even sleep over there but not have to move out of your other resort. The whole packing up and moving and not having a place to chill out if needed can be stressful. I think I'd be inclined to just overlap and pay the extra for the night for the calmness, peace of mind, and time savings.

You know, I might go this route if it were us, not necessarily throw it away altogether, but use a room as a home base for a mid day break and a swim or something. Then just go back to your other resort to sleep at the end of the day. Or even sleep over there but not have to move out of your other resort. The whole packing up and moving and not having a place to chill out if needed can be stressful. I think I'd be inclined to just overlap and pay the extra for the night for the calmness, peace of mind, and time savings.

That’s what we were initially planning to do all along. Stay at our resort and use the room for a place to relax midday or simply to stay at one night without moving all of our stuff. We had a room booked at RPR for this purpose. We weren’t sure we would need or want 2 days at Universal, but wanted the option there in the event we decided we’d like to do two days. I nixed this plan because our TA said we wouldn’t like RPR. I then started to look at Portofino and thought we were missing out on a true Universal experience if we didn’t stay there. Of course, we could also simply use the room at PBH, but RPR seemed more convenient for just one night. Our first trip was a simple easy one week plan. Somehow, trying to explore new areas has made this trip planning spiral out of control.

Everything you have described is what we missed staying at the Polynesian. That said, we really did love the resort and had an amazing vacation.

Totally understandable. As an offsite person, I stare longingly at the Contemporary, Polynesian and GF each time we pass by on the Monorail. They are just so convenient to MK, our favorite park. Especially if you are exiting the park during prime traffic flow.

That’s what we were initially planning to do all along. Stay at our resort and use the room for a place to relax midday or simply to stay at one night without moving all of our stuff. We had a room booked at RPR for this purpose. We weren’t sure we would need or want 2 days at Universal, but wanted the option there in the event we decided we’d like to do two days. I nixed this plan because our TA said we wouldn’t like RPR. I then started to look at Portofino and thought we were missing out on a true Universal experience if we didn’t stay there. Of course, we could also simply use the room at PBH, but RPR seemed more convenient for just one night. Our first trip was a simple easy one week plan. Somehow, trying to explore new areas has made this trip planning spiral out of control.

Why did your TA say you wouldn't like RPR?? I've stayed at both RPR and Portofino and vastly preferred RPR. It's much closer to the theme parks—a quick walk, which seems like would be really convenient for you in your condition. Plus, the theming is that amazing tropical feel—very similar to the Poly but much newer. Great pool (and pool hopping privileges at the other Universal resorts!). Restaurants you don't need to book six months in advance.

Given all the information you've presented, I'd honestly give offsite a try for the first part of your trip, the Disney portion. WBC is lovely, as are the numerous condo and home options near WDW. If renting a car and driving to the parks seems daunting, there's always Lyft/Uber.

After 4 or however many days visiting Disney and staying in a condo or house, then move to Universal and spent 2-3 days onsite there. Don't bounce back and forth. That sounds exhausting and time consuming. Plus, after a few days of dealing with Disney crowds, it will feel like heaven to wander up to any ride of your choosing at Universal and get right on. That's how I'd do it anyway :)

Why did your TA say you wouldn't like RPR?? I've stayed at both RPR and Portofino and vastly preferred RPR. It's much closer to the theme parks—a quick walk, which seems like would be really convenient for you in your condition. Plus, the theming is that amazing tropical feel—very similar to the Poly but much newer. Great pool (and pool hopping privileges at the other Universal resorts!). Restaurants you don't need to book six months in advance.

Given all the information you've presented, I'd honestly give offsite a try for the first part of your trip, the Disney portion. WBC is lovely, as are the numerous condo and home options near WDW. If renting a car and driving to the parks seems daunting, there's always Lyft/Uber.

After 4 or however many days visiting Disney and staying in a condo or house, then move to Universal and spent 2-3 days onsite there. Don't bounce back and forth. That sounds exhausting and time consuming. Plus, after a few days of dealing with Disney crowds, it will feel like heaven to wander up to any ride of your choosing at Universal and get right on. That's how I'd do it anyway :)

I’m not sure why she said that? She strongly recommended Portofino Bay. She mentioned that the RPR rooms were small for a family of 5??

But...we ARE leaning towards doing a combined Universal/Disney split with just the one move between the two. We are still leaning towards splitting our stay at the Poly, but are thinking about starting our trip at one of the three deluxe Universal hotels. The main reason for starting at Universal is that our departure flight is 6:00 am, and it seems like using the Disney shuttle would be easier for that. We also wanted to have energy for the WWHP and we weren’t sure we would if we are too tired from Disney!

I would not bounce back and forth. Very stressful.

It sounds like a 1 bedroom DVC would best suit you. I would rent a 1 bedroom thru David's for 6 nights then switch to Universal.

With the DVC unit you would have bus transportation, your own kichen and washer and dryer. And a king size bed.

The only downside is you can't cancel.

I actually just went to book one of the 2 hotels and we considered club level to save some on food. I was a bit surprised to see that RPR was $20 more per night than PBH for Club Level!! ??? Why would that be?

I would not bounce back and forth. Very stressful.

It sounds like a 1 bedroom DVC would best suit you. I would rent a 1 bedroom thru David's for 6 nights then switch to Universal.

With the DVC unit you would have bus transportation, your own kichen and washer and dryer. And a king size bed.

The only downside is you can't cancel.

We were actually going to do this route except that we were planning a trip last year and learned the hard way about having to cancel a DVC reservation. I would love to go this route, but after losing money from reserving DVC in the past, I’m reluctant to try it again!

We just got back from our stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Previous stays have included both on and offsite at all levels, but mostly onsite in recent years.

Pros about WBC: Everything! We stayed in a 1 bdrm Presidential Suite, Room 1620

Excellent customer service from start to finish--definitely what we expect from Wyndham and certainly on par with any of the Disney resorts
Lots of space in the suite; balcony seemed a lot larger than the Disney deluxe resorts
Loved the bathroom
Pools and activities--great family resort
Price was the same as we would have paid for POP Century (less than 300 square feet). A one bedroom, renting DVC points at SSR--$1,500
Quiet rooms--we definitely had neighbors but did not hear a peep
Comfortable bed and pullout sofa--we all slept well
Beautifully appointed, CLEAN, suite--no nicks, chips, or wear and tear, and our suite was spotless.

What we would change (and not related to our stay at WBC): Renting a car. It was fine, but in the future, I would do Uber/Lyft and grocery delivery. Just a personal preference, and it certainly was not a con. If we can't have Magical Express, we can definitely have someone else do the driving.

I am not sure when we will be back (2020 most likely), but I would definitely book WBC again.

I actually just went to book one of the 2 hotels and we considered club level to save some on food. I was a bit surprised to see that RPR was $20 more per night than PBH for Club Level!! ??? Why would that be?

That is kind of weird! Must be a supply/demand thing. PBH is usually the most expensive, but I've seen HRH and RPR be higher on occasion. Is there a difference in view?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter