Online vs Regular Check In

butterflymouse

Mouseketeer
What do you prefer? Right now I’m leaning towards online to save time. I’m also wondering if online check in allows for a better chance for your room to be ready for an early check in. As basically a Disney World newbie, am I missing out on anything from regular check in if I do online? Since I believe I still have to go to the front desk, does online check in just speed up that process and I’m really not missing anything? I know I’m probably overthinking this, but other people’s opinions and experiences help clear my mind and make a decision. Thanks.

There is no difference. The room being ready has nothing to do with how you check in. Online check in can(not always) speed thing up at the front desk. But doing online check in enables you to have your room number texted to you and you can bypass the front desk if you have your magic band.

Last edited:
I did online check-in on my last trip because, well, why wouldn't I? I wasn't interested in trying to get a different room if my requests weren't fulfilled, I wasn't going to change the credit card on file, we already had our magic bands, and we weren't arriving in the morning needing to drop our luggage so for us there was no reason to wait. We got our room number sometime during our flight so we already had it before we got on the bus. Seeing the line at check-in and walking straight to the elevators was a pleasant feeling.

• I tried Online Check-In at AS: Sports several months ago and never received a room number. I got there around 11 PM and had to go to the front desk and wait in line . I told them I'd be there at 7 PM I believe.
  • The online check-in option disappeared for AS: Movies (split stay with ^^^) the day before I was to switch "resorts", so had to do the front desk and a Disney Bus had just dumped off outside so there was a long line at the front desk.
  • Online Check-In did work fine more recently at Fort Wilderness (Campground).
Personally, if you can get it to work, I would do online check-in. Waiting in line su*ks, especially if you have the misfortune of arriving just after a Disney Bus.

When I went to on line check in, it asked me if I wanted to edit room requests (by phone they had noted on my reservations that I prefer to stay in the same room, if possible....I have 2 reservations at the same hotel); the current room request doesn't show up (it's just blank) and the only options would be building, floor, view. I would like to complete my on line check in, but when editing my request to pick a building/floor, will that take away the verbal request of staying in the same room (does Disney see both what's in on line check in and what has been discussed/noted on the phone with Disney staff)? so confusing!

When I went to on line check in, it asked me if I wanted to edit room requests (by phone they had noted on my reservations that I prefer to stay in the same room, if possible....I have 2 reservations at the same hotel); the current room request doesn't show up (it's just blank) and the only options would be building, floor, view. I would like to complete my on line check in, but when editing my request to pick a building/floor, will that take away the verbal request of staying in the same room (does Disney see both what's in on line check in and what has been discussed/noted on the phone with Disney staff)? so confusing!

I recommend skipping the room request section of Online Check In. I always call in my requests then skip that section.

We always do online check-in. We have never encountered a line if we still need to stop by the front desk. I can make room requests and put in my ETA. I love how they text your room number now ahead of time. We stayed at AKL a couple of years ago and I got my room number around 9am and it was a wonderful way to start my day knowing we got a savanna view room!

Thanks for the advice. I did the online check in today. Now I’m wondering what people do with two reservations at the same resort. We had to make a 3 night reservation followed by a 7 night, both at the fort Wilderness cabins. Should I check into the second reservation now? We would like to stay in the same cabin, and while I know that’s not guaranteed, I’m trying to figure out the best way to try to make that happen. The reservations are already linked, and we may call to reconfirm that it’s noted we’d like the same cabin. I’m thinking of checking in online to both and then going to the front desk to ask them about keeping the same room. Is that what others do?

Thanks for the advice. I did the online check in today. Now I’m wondering what people do with two reservations at the same resort. We had to make a 3 night reservation followed by a 7 night, both at the fort Wilderness cabins. Should I check into the second reservation now? We would like to stay in the same cabin, and while I know that’s not guaranteed, I’m trying to figure out the best way to try to make that happen. The reservations are already linked, and we may call to reconfirm that it’s noted we’d like the same cabin. I’m thinking of checking in online to both and then going to the front desk to ask them about keeping the same room. Is that what others do?

You can use Online Check In for the 2nd reservation too. What we like to do, once the 2 reservations are linked, is when we arrive at the resort for reservation #1 stop by the front desk and remind them of our 2nd reservation and the desire to stay in the same room. They will be able to tell you if that can happen. And if for some reason they have you switching cabins, they should be able to resolve that right then.

That’s exactly what i would do.

It's important to note that even if you don't use online check-in, you really need to have any requests in to Reservations in advance of arrival. The desk is not assigning your room; room assignment is done 3-7 days in advance of your stay. The desk has pretty limited ability to reassign your unit, especially at busy times. And, to be honest: If you don't do online check-in, it is easier for them to reassign the unit you were originally placed in before you show up.

You can use Online Check In for the 2nd reservation too. What we like to do, once the 2 reservations are linked, is when we arrive at the resort for reservation #1 stop by the front desk and remind them of our 2nd reservation and the desire to stay in the same room. They will be able to tell you if that can happen. And if for some reason they have you switching cabins, they should be able to resolve that right then.

I did online check-in, but later we stopped by and asked if they knew yet if we'd be able to stay in the same room. They were able to look it up and see we were assigned that same room for both reservations. It was a relief to me to know that right away.

I prefer checking in in person. I like going into the lobby, looking around, getting into the Disney spirit and having a face to face with the CM. But then I've never made a room request. This upcoming trip I will for the first time. But I'm still going to go into the lobby personally to check in. I like the resort lobby's.

We are going in a few weeks and I just did our online check-in through MDE. I put a couple of room preferences on there ("close to transportation" and "near stairs") in the hopes of being a bit closer to the main building. We are staying in a LM room at AoA and most say the walk is pretty long. Can anyone give me your success rate in obtaining your preferred location when doing it this way? ... I might even post a poll for more input. Thanks!

We are going in a few weeks and I just did our online check-in through MDE. I put a couple of room preferences on there ("close to transportation" and "near stairs") in the hopes of being a bit closer to the main building. We are staying in a LM room at AoA and most say the walk is pretty long. Can anyone give me your success rate in obtaining your preferred location when doing it this way? ... I might even post a poll for more input. Thanks!

There is no LM building "near transportation." That's a generic request in the system and not really specific to AOA or those units.

Every single LM room is far from transportation. I probably wouldn't waste a request on that, but instead request things that they can actually do like being near the stairs or higher or lower level floor. You might be 3 feet closer to transportation, but unless you upgrade to a suite, you're going to have a long walk.

We've done it both ways. I will say that if you do online check in and there is something you really needed with your request and didn't get it, you're going to have to go back to the front desk. We did online check in at CBR and as a family of 5, really needed the Murphy bed. We went to our room and no Murphy bed. So we had to go back and ask them to change our room since that was the entire reason we even booked that resort and we weren't about to squeeze 5 people onto 2 beds.

I prefer checking in in person. I like going into the lobby, looking around, getting into the Disney spirit and having a face to face with the CM. But then I've never made a room request. This upcoming trip I will for the first time. But I'm still going to go into the lobby personally to check in. I like the resort lobby's.

You can still go to the front desk. No one is standing there saying "Nope. You did online check-in. You aren't allowed here." It just makes the process a little easier.

I've always wondered why they push you to "check-in" weeks, even months before you arrive. I wonder if that is why it didn't work the last couple times I stayed at the All-Stars...as I waited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!