Online Check In Vs In Person

Porsche4

Mouseketeer
I keep reading about online check in and how great it is but here are my thoughts. As a really light sleeper I always request a room in a quiet location and I always reiterate this when I check in in person. They usually double check for me and on occasion they have realised the room allocated may not be great so they give me another at face to face check in. I am worried if I do online check in that this wont be the case and I may end up with a room that isn't great. I'd love to hear people's thoughts and experiences with requests made prior to check in and if these were honoured when doing online check in.

Last time I checked in online in I got the best room I've ever had at DLH. I think they do try to honor requests, but if you check in and don't like your room you can go to the desk and ask to change it.

You could stop at the desk and double check about your room before you even check in. I did that the first time I checked in online because I was worried they didn't give me enough beds, so the CM checked for me. I didn't want to bother going up to the room if it wasn't what I wanted. Even stopping at the desk, the online check in was helpful because I got my "Your room is ready"text at 11:30 am.

I did the same as Pluto468 in Dec. I made phone requests ahead of time and checked in online also. I was afraid they'd stick me with something I didn't want so I still went to the front desk when I arrived in the morning. The CM said "Your room is ready!!" but I figured if it was ready at 8 am it probably wasn't what I'd requested so I asked to see where it was on the map. Yeah, it was one of the rooms far, far away from the elevators (what I don't want and why I made a request). I told the CM (very nicely!) that it wasn't what I'd requested and I was fine with waiting for a room that was. She did whatever it is they do to see what rooms are coming up and found one that was perfect. Wouldn't be ready until later in the afternoon but that was fine with us. We checked our bags and just as we were heading to the parks, I got the notification that our room was ready LOL.

It was a great room, BTW!! Overlooked the Brisa Courtyard where we could watch the monorail go by, was right over the lobby on the 4th floor, and was directly around from the main elevator.

I did the same as Pluto468 in Dec. I made phone requests ahead of time and checked in online also. I was afraid they'd stick me with something I didn't want so I still went to the front desk when I arrived in the morning. The CM said "Your room is ready!!" but I figured if it was ready at 8 am it probably wasn't what I'd requested so I asked to see where it was on the map. Yeah, it was one of the rooms far, far away from the elevators (what I don't want and why I made a request). I told the CM (very nicely!) that it wasn't what I'd requested and I was fine with waiting for a room that was. She did whatever it is they do to see what rooms are coming up and found one that was perfect. Wouldn't be ready until later in the afternoon but that was fine with us. We checked our bags and just as we were heading to the parks, I got the notification that our room was ready LOL.

It was a great room, BTW!! Overlooked the Brisa Courtyard where we could watch the monorail go by, was right over the lobby on the 4th floor, and was directly around from the main elevator.
Thanks for the info. Whenever we have stayed at either WDW or anywhere for that matter I always ask on check in to make sure my requests have been honoured. I know they can't guarantee it but as I am such a light sleeper I can't stand to be near an elevator that dings during the night or an ice machine that keeps chattering out ice at all hours. I actually don't mind being right at the end of a corridor as it usually is quieter. I guess I'll give online check in a go with a desk follow up and see what happens. Thanks again for your post.

Thanks for the info. Whenever we have stayed at either WDW or anywhere for that matter I always ask on check in to make sure my requests have been honoured. I know they can't guarantee it but as I am such a light sleeper I can't stand to be near an elevator that dings during the night or an ice machine that keeps chattering out ice at all hours. I actually don't mind being right at the end of a corridor as it usually is quieter. I guess I'll give online check in a go with a desk follow up and see what happens. Thanks again for your post.
You're welcome! You should be in good shape to get a room like you describe. I just realized that I don't know which hotel you're going to be in. I was giving you my experience at GCH, ha ha!

You're welcome! You should be in good shape to get a room like you describe. I just realized that I don't know which hotel you're going to be in. I was giving you my experience at GCH, ha ha!
We're staying at the new villas at the Disneyland Hotel but its good to hear peoples experiences no matter which Disney hotel they stay at. I've paid for just a standard view as I think any down time we have will be spent by the pools or in the lounges. I would have loved a balcony and pool view but I just can't justify the cost. I always splurge for a better view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge at WDW but at DL I don't think it makes a huge difference.

We're staying at the new villas at the Disneyland Hotel but its good to hear peoples experiences no matter which Disney hotel they stay at. I've paid for just a standard view as I think any down time we have will be spent by the pools or in the lounges. I would have loved a balcony and pool view but I just can't justify the cost. I always splurge for a better view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge at WDW but at DL I don't think it makes a huge difference.
I agree!! I always book a standard room unless they have a sale. Often, the sale doesn't include standard rooms and oddly enough, the next level up ends up being cheaper :confused3

We only did online check in at DLH once- in Oct. 2021-- and it was not a good experience for us. A lot of people have had no issues with it. We got to DLH at 11:30 a.m. We got to the front desk and everyone in front of us and around us was checking in manually and getting rooms right then- the same category type rooms. We were told our room wasn't ready and that they would text us that afternoon when it was ready. I nicely asked why others were getting rooms right then and we weren't and asked if there was any way we could get a room now like we were hearing in front of us and all around us. I was told they were sorry, but because we had done online check in, our room was assigned by the computer and they could not override it or get us a room right then even though they had rooms ready. We would have to wait until the room number assigned to us was cleaned. We sat out in the lobby to get sunscreen on before we checked bags with bell services and headed out to the parks, and the whole time we were down there (at least 15-20 minutes probably), people were getting rooms right and left and going up to them. It was so frustrating to know they had rooms ready, but could not give us one. We didn't get a text with our room assigned until after 4:00 p.m. Had we not done the online check-in we would have had our room at 11:30 when we arrived. I don't know if the system has changed since then, but we just do manual check in now.

We only did online check in at DLH once- in Oct. 2021-- and it was not a good experience for us. A lot of people have had no issues with it. We got to DLH at 11:30 a.m. We got to the front desk and everyone in front of us and around us was checking in manually and getting rooms right then- the same category type rooms. We were told our room wasn't ready and that they would text us that afternoon when it was ready. I nicely asked why others were getting rooms right then and we weren't and asked if there was any way we could get a room now like we were hearing in front of us and all around us. I was told they were sorry, but because we had done online check in, our room was assigned by the computer and they could not override it or get us a room right then even though they had rooms ready. We would have to wait until the room number assigned to us was cleaned. We sat out in the lobby to get sunscreen on before we checked bags with bell services and headed out to the parks, and the whole time we were down there (at least 15-20 minutes probably), people were getting rooms right and left and going up to them. It was so frustrating to know they had rooms ready, but could not give us one. We didn't get a text with our room assigned until after 4:00 p.m. Had we not done the online check-in we would have had our room at 11:30 when we arrived. I don't know if the system has changed since then, but we just do manual check in now.
Yes that was what I was worried about, automatic systems are great when they work but staff are either not allowed to or can't override things like they can if you have a face to face meeting with someone at the desk. I think I will just do it the old fashioned way and check in at the counter. I would rather wait in a bit of a check in line and get what I want and hopefully when I want, rather than be tied to a inflexible automated system. Thanks for posting your experience it has helped me make my decision.

I always do online check in. I maybe had to change something twice and then it was usually fixed very quickly.

I think the odds lean towards the hassle free online checkin, at least for me.

While I realize my experience was at WDW, we did the check-in online, and it gave us 3 options for our room. You could only choose one option. We chose close to the transportation... and the view was a wall. We were indeed close to transportation... the closest to the transportation hub as possible. Everyone walking by our room at all hours. It was bad enough that my husband swore we would never go back.

We're heading back for a do-over in 2 years, and will not do online check-in because our room experience was so bad and I didn't know we could ask for a different room.

While I realize my experience was at WDW, we did the check-in online, and it gave us 3 options for our room. You could only choose one option. We chose close to the transportation... and the view was a wall. We were indeed close to transportation... the closest to the transportation hub as possible. Everyone walking by our room at all hours. It was bad enough that my husband swore we would never go back.

We're heading back for a do-over in 2 years, and will not do online check-in because our room experience was so bad and I didn't know we could ask for a different room.
I always put in a room request for a quiet location and have always done face to face check in. When I am at the front desk I just ask politely did they get my room request for a quiet location and could they please check that our allocation is not near elevators or ice machines. I have never had a room I have been unhappy with. That is why I thought maybe online check in might not be for me. I think it probably works great for people who don't care where their room is but if you have specific requests I feel that the desk staff will usually try to accommodate you as best they can. Also I always tell them I am willing to wait for a room that fits my request if they have nothing available rather than taking something that is ready right then but that I would be unhappy with. If we have to wait I just drop my bags and go do something else.

I always do online check in and am usually quite happy with the room. I call (or do a chat with) DVC member services to put in my requests about 1-2 months before my reservation. One of my requests is always for an allergy cleaning with no scents due to a serious allergy that I have, so I am sure my room is not easily changeable since the allergy cleaning means it will always be ready later in the day and requires extra time and effort by housekeeping so doubtful they want to do more than 1 of those. Our most recent visit at VGC, we had the best studio with amazing views of WoC from our room. Our CCV room last September was so amazingly located and had amazing views of the lake.

I'm going for the first time in late July with my husband, staying at GCH, booked a standard. How hard is it to get assigned a king bed room? We are *ahem* bigger than we used to be, and I hate sharing a queen with him! lol I was thinking I would call with the request, check in online, and go to the desk when we arrive, probably around noon. Is there a better option? Normally I wouldn't bother - never have in many visits to WDW - but this is our 25th anniversary celebration trip and we will probably not be able to afford another trip like this one!

I'm going for the first time in late July with my husband, staying at GCH, booked a standard. How hard is it to get assigned a king bed room? We are *ahem* bigger than we used to be, and I hate sharing a queen with him! lol I was thinking I would call with the request, check in online, and go to the desk when we arrive, probably around noon. Is there a better option? Normally I wouldn't bother - never have in many visits to WDW - but this is our 25th anniversary celebration trip and we will probably not be able to afford another trip like this one!
If you're concerned about getting a room with a single queen bed, there's no need to worry! You'll either get 1 King (which it sounds like you're okay with) or 2 Queens. There's zero chance you'll be forced to share 1 Queen because that room type simply doesn't exist!

If there are four people in your room, then there'd be a chance you and your husband would have to share one of the queens in a 2 Queen room, but from your comment it sounds like it'll just be the two of you :)

Of course, if you have a strong preference for 1 King over 2 Queens, then your plan (calling ahead, checking in online, verifying at the desk early in the day) is exactly what most people do.

If you're concerned about getting a room with a single queen bed, there's no need to worry! You'll either get 1 King (which it sounds like you're okay with) or 2 Queens. There's zero chance you'll be forced to share 1 Queen because that room type simply doesn't exist!

If there are four people in your room, then there'd be a chance you and your husband would have to share one of the queens in a 2 Queen room, but from your comment it sounds like it'll just be the two of you :)

Of course, if you have a strong preference for 1 King over 2 Queens, then your plan (calling ahead, checking in online, verifying at the desk early in the day) is exactly what most people do.
Thanks! Yes, just the two of us...and I'd rather not sleep in separate beds if we don't have to! 😉 I'm used to being able to book that king, so I was just thinking I'd do all the things and hope for the best!

Thanks! Yes, just the two of us...and I'd rather not sleep in separate beds if we don't have to! 😉 I'm used to being able to book that king, so I was just thinking I'd do all the things and hope for the best!
Maybe we were just lucky, but both times we have requested a king we got it. I did put in a request ahead of time, and went to the front desk to check in (and asked nicely if it was possible to have a king). Both times they were able to accommodate us. They were also both standard rooms, and it seemed what we ended up with definitely wasn't standard so that was a plus!

However, the one disclaimer I have is that the second king room we got (it was on the second floor in the courtyard) had a tub/shower combo instead of the beautiful walk in shower. DH has a bad knee from an old sports injury so it wasn't the best fit for us. Also, I've since discovered there are a handful of rooms that do not have a balcony, which would be a complete deal breaker for us. So now I prioritize those options instead of the king.

That may have been more info you wanted, but since it's your first and possibly only stay, I wanted to let you know. I hope you have a great time! And Happy Anniversary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter