Online Check In and Room Requests

popeboy

Earning My Ears
I have always put in room requests for our reservations and this upcoming trip is no exception.
I have also never done the online check in (for a Disney property). My thinking is you are better off talking to the front desk cast member if you are trying to request a room facing a certain direction, floor level or whatever... but that "Start check in" link on MDE keeps tugging at my mind.

Anyone else have experience with having room requests and using early online check in?

Thanks!

I think the best bet is usually calling or faxing in room requests. Then online check-in. If you wait until you're at the resort they've already assigned your room and you're at the mercy of what's currently available. Best to get requests in at least 5 days out. If you do online check in and don't like your room location you can always go to the front desk (or call) to see if something more to your liking is available.

We are 27 days out and I have already called in my room request (asked for a higher floor and facing a particular direction). So you feel you have a better opportunity of getting what you have asked for by checking in early?
That makes sense, I guess I was always looking at it like I needed the human at the desk to try to honor my request, but if they give you the same consideration with online, it definitely makes more sense to lock yourself in earlier.

They usually start assigning rooms at 4-5 days out (from what I've heard), as long as you have your requests listed on your reservation. I would go ahead and do online check-in. If you aren't happy with your room, you can always stop at the front desk and ask if there is anything else available.

Your room is assigned several days before you get to talk to the human at the front desk. :)

Now, once you arrive at the resort, if you’re not happy with what the room assigners have chosen for you, you can certainly stop by the desk and ask if anything else is available. You can do that whether you've done online check in or not.

NOTE: This is not the same for those checking into a DVC resort using points. If you ask for a room change after check in (whether it is online or in person) there is a charge to change rooms. The charge varies by room size. It is the same as paying for an extra cleaning of the room. I tried my best to get out of this fee at OKW one time. We hadn’t even set foot in the room before I realized we had a handicapped accessible room. So from now on I check in at the desk in person. This avoids the whole mess. You can request to be moved at that time before check in is completed. But after check in is complete you can not change rooms without a fee. This is the only issue with online check in.

Additional Full Housekeeping Service Daily Rates:
Studio - $30
1-bedroom - $45
2-bedroom - $60
Grand Villa - $75
Also, I am not sure about those using cash at a DVC resort. But any reservation using points has this rule.

I am staying on points... is this a new(ish) rule? I had not heard of this one, although this will be our first trip back since 2016.

I am staying on points... is this a new(ish) rule? I had not heard of this one, although this will be our first trip back since 2016.

No it is not that new. We changed rooms after check in about 5 years ago and the rule was in effect. We were charged $45 to switch 1-bedrooms, even though we had never set foot in the room. If you do online check in and do not like the room, you will have to pay to switch rooms. Also if you do check in at the desk then leave the front desk, you will have the same issue. The minute check in is completed and you leave the front desk, you have to pay to move. You can tell them all day long you didn’t even set foot in the room. They don’t care. Protocol says they have to send in housekeeping anyway. That is what the charge is for. So we do not do online check in anymore. We make requests for our room every time. But it is so hit and miss with requests that we wait to check in when we get there. Then I specifically ask about general location and whether it is HA. If it is HA we will be asking for a room change during check in. Then there is no charge.

Now that I'm really thinking back, I'll bet it was 2010 the last time I went back down to the front desk to change a room assignment (our windows were looking out at a bunch of parked construction equipment), so I guess I am not surprised that the policy has been changed since then. Thanks for the heads up.

On our last trip ( Sept 2018 ) we booked online at AKL. Then about 4 months after we booked, they announced that the pool would be closed and refurbed while we were there. I called Disney and asked them to add a request to be away from the construction. I then did online check in prior to our trip. Our wish was granted with no problem. It was pretty general but it's my experience that the more general the request the more likely it is to be granted.

I've also read on several posts that the requests are handled prior via a centralized location vs. at the front desk. Not that they couldn't change it there but I'd call them to have it noted on the res as well.

If you are staying on DVC points then IMO it would be best to check-in in person with a Front Desk CM. As stated by pp, there is a room change fee after check-in so if you do online check-in and you don't like your room then you will be charged a fee, versus if you check-in at the Front Desk you can speak with the CM at that point and ensure that all your requests and changes made at that moment prior to completing the check-in process.

Reactions: eva
Could I get a final round of opinion on the matter?

I don't want to spend $45 on a room cleaning fee if I do online check in and then have to go down and request a room change, but lets face it... $45 at Disney is less than I will spend on a quick service lunch for our family of four.
It would be worth the risk to me if the general opinion is that checking in online ahead of time presents a better chance of me getting my room requests satisfied.

I'm not going to hold anyone accountable for their opinion, just wondering what the consensus is as far as best chance. Then after the fact I can come back here and let everyone know what happened.

Thanks again!

Could I get a final round of opinion on the matter?

You’ve already called in your requests.
Do online check-in, skipping the section about room requests.
Stop by the front desk when you arrive to discuss location and whether the room fits what you requested.

Enjoy your vacation!

How you check in has no bearing on whether you get your requests or not, since you already called the request in. In this case I would skip online check in just in case I didn't like my room assignment to avoid the fee.

How you check in has no bearing on whether you get your requests or not, since you already called the request in.

True, but I was thinking as someone else mentioned that your room assignment might be done a few days earlier if you checked in online vs. in person on the day of your check in... but that may not be accurate!

True, but I was thinking as someone else mentioned that your room assignment might be done a few days earlier if you checked in online vs. in person on the day of your check in... but that may not be accurate!

All room assignments are done about 5 days out, from what I understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter