One-time-use points w/ WL

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
As is so often the case, I trust some of the people on the DIS boards more than I do the cast members I get on the phone.

I have a March UY, with zero points for 2017, and 37 points for 2018. I want to wait-list a 3-night OKW stay for Feb., 2018. This prospective trip costs 39 points. So I am two points shy of being able to borrow the full amount from 2018.

Could I buy two points for 2017, and then set up the WL, the idea being that if it was filled, DVC would use my two one-time-use points in 2017 and then borrow the remaining 37 from 2018?

I know that if the WL is not filled, those two points would expire unused on March 1, 2018. However, that risk is worth the chance of getting the WL filled.

Thank you!

Not real sure if that would work or not. The rules state that you can only purchase OTU points while making a reservation that requires them.

I don't think you can do what you're trying to do, but I've been wrong before.

I would look into transferring in a couple of points from another member.

The problem is you can only buy OTU points as part of making a reservation. I have heard of people making a fake booking that enables them to buy OTU points then cancelling it so that they have the points in their account for a WL. This obviously won’t work for you because you’d have to borrow points and if the WL didn’t come through you’d be stuck.

I would look into transferring in a couple of points from another member.

I never thought of that. But assuming I could find someone who’d go through that hassle for two points, can I transfer a few points into 2018, and then borrow the whole 39 points if the waitlist comes through? Not sure if you can borrow transferred points.

I never thought of that. But assuming I could find someone who’d go through that hassle for two points, can I transfer a few points into 2018, and then borrow the whole 39 points if the waitlist comes through? Not sure if you can borrow transferred points.
No, you can not borrow transferred points.

In that case, I could transfer in two 2017 points, and borrow my 37 from 2018 to be able to request the wait list, yes?
Yes, in theory that is possible, but such small transfers are difficult to come by.

I have never transferred in or out. Does Resort or UY matter? I have 2 Feb BLT points I'll never use.

Thank you!

As evinced above, there are folks who are far more knowledgeable about this than me. But since we are within 7 months of booking, I don't think the resort matters. I think the trick is verifying that the UYs are compatible.

PM sent.

I have never transferred in or out. Does Resort or UY matter? I have 2 Feb BLT points I'll never use.

If they are 2017 points, they will expire before the op's trip. If they are 2018 points, they can be transferred and used by the op.

Transferred points retain their use year and home resort. Banked points cannot be transferred, but transferred points could be banked. If they’re truly 2017 points, they could be transferred and then banked for the OP’s reservation. But, then, why didn’t you bank them to use next year?

Transferred points retain their use year and home resort. Banked points cannot be transferred, but transferred points could be banked. If they’re truly 2017 points, they could be transferred and then banked for the OP’s reservation. But, then, why didn’t you bank them to use next year?

Banking window has already closed for FEB use year points.

They were in a resale contract banked from '16 that I bought earlier this year. I banked all of the 2017 points, but naturally could not bank these.

Banking window has already closed for FEB use year points.
I’m under the impression that the banking window is irrelevant for transferred points. It’s been reported that you can bank transferred points up until the day before your next use year.

They were in a resale contract banked from '16 that I bought earlier this year. I banked all of the 2017 points, but naturally could not bank these.
Unfortunately, you can’t transfer banked points. That’s one of the reasons it’s so rare to find someone willing to transfer a small number of points; why would you only have a few that couldn’t be used in your current use year.

I appreciate all the feedback, and especially appreciate @DduzDis for being so willing to help. As it turns out, the CM I got on the phone had another possible solution:

She said I could buy the two OTU points, and essentially “swap them out” for two of the points currently allocated to one of my existing reservations (I also have a res at SS in January).

That way, the OTU points would indeed be applied to a reservation, not a waitlist, and two “regular” points would be released back to me, thus giving me the 39 points to cover my OKW Studio waitlist.

She sounded like she knew what she was talking about. Here’s hoping!

I appreciate all the feedback, and especially appreciate @DduzDis for being so willing to help. As it turns out, the CM I got on the phone had another possible solution:

She said I could buy the two OTU points, and essentially “swap them out” for two of the points currently allocated to one of my existing reservations (I also have a res at SS in January).

That way, the OTU points would indeed be applied to a reservation, not a waitlist, and two “regular” points would be released back to me, thus giving me the 39 points to cover my OKW Studio waitlist.

She sounded like she knew what she was talking about. Here’s hoping!

Awesome. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!