One day trip to Universal...Tips needed please!

MelissaMonicaDrake

Mouseketeer
Any tips for a one day trip to Universal? We'll be at Disney in November and decided to do a day trip to Universal during our stay. We were originally going to do a split stay, but have since decided against it. To be perfectly honest, we're mostly going for the HP experience for our 2 oldest, HP obsessed kiddos. I know that I want to get park-to-park tickets to be able to ride the train, but that's about it. Also, I know the express passes would probably be best for a one day trip, but will it be absolutely necessary for us to enjoy our time (family of 5 on a budget here!)? Also, any day of the week that would be best to go, crowd wise?

When in November? If around Thanksgiving, you should really reconsider the split stay with a deluxe hotel. Having EPs would be very useful.
Waking up and strolling to the park then rolling back into bed at the end of the day is so nice too. :)
Read the sticky above though w good HP planning advice and must sees.

When in November? If around Thanksgiving, you should really reconsider the split stay with a deluxe hotel. Having EPs would be very useful.
Waking up and strolling to the park then rolling back into bed at the end of the day is so nice too. :)
Read the sticky above though w good HP planning advice and must sees.

Either the 1st or 2nd week of November. Will definitely be before Thanksgiving week!

The deluxe hotels are great, not only for the Express passes (which are lovely even during "slow times") but also because they are SO close to the parks. If it doesn't fit it your budget though, a lot of people love Cabana Bay (and they have great pools and a fun lazy river), and you can take advantage of the single rider lines, if you're OK with getting split up.

Download the Universal app. It is great for checking ride times.

Plan to get there early in the day, before HP gets jam packed. Early is also the best time for short lines. Check out the maps to get an idea which rides (other than HP) will be priorities.

Parks can close fairly early in November. If you are mostly interested in harry Potter stuff, you should be able to do it all without EP. My inclination would be to start at the park which does not have early entry for resort guests that morning. (One park open an hour early for resort guests to get a jump on the HP areas, and that one can get crowded first thing in the morning.)

Go after hhn is over
Studios closes at 5 on hhn dates

I would have to check but first few days of November has hhn
Check the website for early November

Thanks to everyone for the info. Looks like the days we currently plan on going are not too busy per the crowd calendars. Hopefully it remains that way and works to our advantage. Early closing is a bit of a bummer, but hopefully we can make it all work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts