One day in Phoenix

melk

DIS Veteran
We’ll be in Cottonwood (mid June) the night before but then flying out of Phoenix at 9:30 pm the next day. So I thought we would leave early in the day for Phoenix and spend the day there before heading for the airport. We’re a family of five, kids are older teens/early twenties. Any suggestions of what to see or how to spend our day?

Thanks!

It will be hot in mid-June, which may limit what you want to do outside. Phoenix has great hiking, but that time of year probably need to try to hike early/mid-morning and bring plenty of water-Camelback or South Mountain Preserve (Holbert trail/Dobbins Lookout) both of these can be difficult at times so would recommend looking into them if any concerns about ability. Google best hikes in phoenix and there will be a great list of hikes. Phoenix botanical garden always comes up when searching I have never been there but seems to rank high, right by the botanical garden is hole in the rock which is a short pretty easy hike and definitely social media worthy. Matt's big breakfast is good and Guy went there on dinner's drivers and dives. We also super enjoyed the pizza at Pizzeria Bianco, which may be the best pizza in the country. If you go for dinner to the downtown location there is a bar in the building next door that you can enjoy while you wait for your table. Chase stadium is downtown, not sure if there may be a baseball game for your dates, otherwise it appears they do tours. My recommendation would be to spend the hottest part of the day by the pool!

If you're not used to the Phoenix heat, the only two good options are:
1. Something with water -- like Sunsplash waterpark, tube the Salt River, day room at a resort
2. Something indoors -- like Science Center, ballpark, museum, IMAX movie, outlet mall

Another option would be to find things to do in cooler areas between Cottonwood and Phoenix, like Out of Africa in Camp Verde, or taking the long way to Phoenix through Strawberry and Payson and poking around the mountain towns.

PHXscuba

Thank you both for your replies. Definitely not used to Phoenix heat so will look into your suggestions.

We really enjoy going to the aforementioned Phoenix Botanical Garden. However, we took some relatives who recently moved to the area and I don't think they were as enamored with it. I suppose it is just walking around looking at bunch of cactus, so if that doesn't sound interesting maybe skip it. We love it, but we're from San Diego and frequently go to Palm Springs and the local desert so we find it very interesting to see what's growing when.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!