One day cash stay...which resort?

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
Dad and I are taking a trip together for the first time. It's not our first trip, but it will be our first trip together, and quite possibly Dad's last trip to WDW. We were planning to arrive late (around midnight) on Wednesday, October 28 and stay at the MCO Hyatt and take DME over to AKV in the morning. We have a value studio booked for October 29-Nov 3 which we managed to piece together one night at a time. The original plan was to fly down after I got out of work, but now, due to a recent promotion and subsequent schedule change, I will have that day off. We were able to get a flight that now arrives at 10am! Instead of staying at the Hyatt, we'd like to just take DME over to WDW and stay at a value resort for that one night and start our vacation a day early.

Here's my options and thoughts:

1) All-Star Resorts: WHICH ONE???? They are the cheapest so, for one night, they are the most economical choice, but will we get any enjoyment from them? We do enjoy Disney theming and appreciate the details of the resort so the themes of the All-Star resorts really don't do anything for us. They truly are "just a room".

2) Pop Century: I've stayed here several times, including a 5-night stay with my mother in 2011. It's only fair to let Dad experience it for a night. He would enjoy the nostalgic theming and the Skyliner. The downside is that I would like to try something new and, like I said, this is the only value resort I have stayed at and I have stayed here 3 times.

3) Art of Animation: The most expensive option, but still just within our budget. We want to stay under $250 (total) so a standard room here would work just fine. The theming is a little over the top, but more in line with what Dad would like. Plus, it has Skyliner access and the food court here is amazing. The pool will be closed in the fall, but we aren't planning to use it on our one day there anyways.

So, which one would you choose for that one day/night? We arrive in Orlando at 10am and we are taking DME to whichever resort we choose. All opinions welcome:hippie:

If this is likely your dad’s last trip, I would go with the resort HE would enjoy the most. You will be back and can try someplace new on a future trip. The memories of this trip will be more special with recalling his enjoyment of it.

You say that it may be his last trip. Does he have health or mobility issues which you need to factor in?

If it’s with your dad, I would suggest POP. I know you’ve been there a lot but he hasn’t and he might like all the decades memorabilia and music. Having access to the Skyliner is also a plus for one night if you were planning to utilize it.

It seems you think he'd like either POP or Art of Animation, so go with one of those.

We added a day at the beginning of our April trip. Couldn't add on our BW room we so decided not to waste points anyway.
I booked us at Sports. We got the room for $130 and are only going to sleep there. They were just refurbished so that's why that was our pick. I know someone who just stayed and said it felt new. I don't want to deal with nasty carpet.

If all your above were in the budget, I would really prefer AOA. Just don't want to pay the extra money when we are just going to sleep and leave. I would much prefer to spend the money elsewhere.

Having said that, sounds like a good trip planned and I can't imagine you will go wrong no matter what you chose.

Well, Dad went ahead and booked us in a Little Mermaid room at AoA and then he told my sister about it. She called me at work and told me about it and she was snickering. That giggle turned into tears of laughter as the two of us started looking at photos and videos of the Little Mermaid rooms:rotfl2:. We were in hysterics picturing our 72-year old father walking into that bathroom in the middle of the night to see that GIANT picture of Ariel on the shower curtain and then hearing the motion-activated fan go on! The theming is incredible...but it is more appropriate for a 10-year old girl...not a 72-year old man and his 46-year old daughter:laughing:. It looks like a living cartoon! I'm not knocking it, but it is really not what we were looking for in a hotel room...

...so Dad cancelled it and booked us in a preferred room at Pop Century instead. He called and told the agent that he "needed a room that was more age-appropriate":rotfl:.

When you check in, try to get a room in building 4 or 5. They are closest to the skyliner. We were in buliding 3 and that was pretty decent proximity to it too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter