One day at Disneyland

Doc Holiday

Earning My Ears
While visiting family in the San Diego area, we decided to take a quick trip north to Disneyland and Los Angeles.

We are three adults. Dad(me), son and son's friend.

We left Del Mar early - just before 6 AM and arrived at Disneyland at around 7:15 AM. The California freeways are the real thrill ride!!!

We were among the first in line at the bag check, picked up our tickets at Customer Service (If I had a printer with me, we could have skipped this step by printing our own) and were near the front of the line when the gates opened just after 8 AM.

We managed to ride Space Mountain, Big Thunder (twice), Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion with no waiting. We also grabbed fastpasses for Buzz Lightyear and then headed over to Disney's California Adventure at 10 AM. We headed straight for Tower of Terror and had perhaps a 10 minute wait there. We grabbed Fastpasses for California Screamin' and then went to It's Tough To Be A Bug and MuppetVision. We stopped for a bite and a beer at the Test Pilots' Grill and then returned to Cali Screamin' to use our Fastpass. Unfortunately, the ride was down. We then rode Maliboomer, stopped by Soarin' over California to grab Fastpasses and headed back to Disneyland to use our Buzz Lightyear Fastpass. After that we tried to get on Indiana Jones, but it was also down. So we grabbed a Fastpass for it. Our return time as 10:40 at night!! We decided to try California Screamin' again and this time found the ride to be up and used our Fastpass to ride. (Heck of a long walk to ride, but it was worth it!)

We then left the parks to check in to our hotel. We decided to spend the night so we could tour L.A. the next day. Off we went on the shuttle to the parking lot to get the car and drive to the hotel. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites on Walnut Street. A decent property with simple, nice rooms. We didn't want to drive back, so we looked into transportation back to the parks. The hotel offered a shuttle - actually one that was operated by the Anaheim Visitors Center (or something like that) - that cost $3 per person for unlimited trips in a day, After a break and talking with the hotel clerk, we decided to walk back. The walk was pleasant and took us through Downtown Disney and into the House of Blues for a quick liquid refreshment before heading back to the parks. The hotel is about 1/2 mile to the entrance of Downtown Disney.

We wanted to try to get on Tower of Terror again, so we headed into California Adventure again, only to find the afternoon parade going on. Absolute gridlock! We amended our plans and used our Fastpasses for Soarin' and returned to Disneyland. The crowds were fairly sizable now, but we still managed to ride Peter Pan, Star Tours, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Big Thunder (again!), The Matterhorn and Pirates of the Caribbean before heading over to the Castle for the fireworks. After the fireworks, we quickly headed over to New Orleans Square to catch the late showing of Fantasmic and then finished our day in the parks by using our Fastpass for Indiana Jones.

We then headed back to House of Blues for another cold one and back to our hotel to end the day.

While the day was a bit hectic, we felt great at the end of it and were pleased we were able to do so much.

Some observations about the parks:

The California version of Pirates is SO much better than the Florida version. There is almost no comparison between the two and I don't think I'll be able to ride the Florida version without thinking fondly of the California version.

I visited Disneyland many years ago and was disappointed that the Matterhorn was closed. The queue looked HUGE this time and we put off getting in it since the sign said it would be a 40 minute wait. But the line moved ahead quickly and we were through with the ride in less than 20 minutes and IT WAS A REAL BLAST!!! I really enjoyed it. It's very low tech, but completely charming. It offers quick peeks of the park and the ride does zip along in places. It was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

Indiana Jones was another. We all agreed it was a great attraction to ride last. Really thrilling!

California Screamin' is a really, really good coaster!

All in all, we were a little disappointed in California Adventure. It felt a bit like a regional amusement park to us, not quite up to Disney standards. It's hard to put a finger on, but one example was the queue are for Maliboomer. While we didn't have too long a wait, it was brutally hot, without shade and the canned spiel really got irritating after a while. The park layout was tough to navigate and we ran into major crowd roadblocks several times throughout the day. Some attractions just seemed to have been plopped down into the park with little attention made to theming - It's Tough To Be A Bug comes to mind, but perhaps that's just me missing the awesome theming at Animal Kingdom.

We prefer Florida's version of Tower of Terror. The queue area is much more interesting and we though that the Florida version's use of horizontal movement was much more effective and surprising. Still, both versions are really enjoyable.

Splash Mountain is absolutely charming in both parks.

Fantasmic at Disneyland is wonderful. Much better than the Florida version. There's something about it happening within the confines of the park that is really, really cool.

The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland gets my vote over the Florida version. I'm glad we did this (thanks, fairycat!) as we all enjoyed it immensely.

It was a little strange touring Disneyland after making 6 or so trips to Disney World. The similarities in the parks were just enough to get me all confused by the differences! Just when I thought I knew my way, one of those little differences would pop up and I'd get a little turned around.

But Disneyland is really charming. The castle seemed so small when we first walked in, but by day's end, it looked absolutely gorgeous with the sky above it all lit up and Tinkerbell (brave Tinkerbell) soaring above it.

A very busy day, but we're all really pleased with how it turned out.

Wow you packed alot into your 2 days.

And you are right about DCA. I love it, but can't wait for all of the big changes coming to it, that will make all of it truly Disney.

Glad you had a great time! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter