Once you go Disney...

CRSNDSNY

DIS Veteran

Reflections of a Non-Disney Bahamian Vacation

My husband and I recently spent 4 days and 3 nights at an all-inclusive resort in Nassau. This Resort is a well-known chain of all-inclusives. Let's just say that based on some reasons I will list below, we will probably be very hesitant in the future about spending money on a vacation that has not in some way been "Disney-approved." And in many ways, we are SO SPOILED by our treatment by Disney that it is difficult for any others to live up to our expectations.

1 - The Resort was dirty and not well-kept. Our room was worn, dirty, stinky, grimy, etc. We were scared to walk around without shoes on and I think I may have used an entire can of Lysol! There was no way that the housekeepers were as meticulous as the mousekeepers or cabin stewards --God bless the Mousekeepers & Stewards and all that they do because they are MARVELOUS! There was garbage around the resort that would have normally been picked up as soon as it was dropped at a Disney locale. Eeew.

2 - I now have new appreciation for those working for tips -- they want to please you and they want to make you happy. That is how they will earn their money. At this particular all-inclusive tips were not accepted in any form so they pretty much didn't care if they were nice to you at all. In many cases they were rude. Made me very sad. :(

3 - Disney entertainment can't be beat. Although me and my husband are younger (28 & 31 yrs) without children, we now realize that we have NO INTEREST in drinking until we drop and partying until the sun comes up. The Resort was strictly 18+ and was centered around the partying-atmosphere. We tried, though...we really did. We tried to join in the fun and entertainment EVERY night, but ended up bored out of our skulls by 10pm. We ended up making our own fun in our dirty, grimy, filthy room (get your mind out of the gutter, that's not what I'm saying).

4 - The food here was pretty good but the buffet was no Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet! I really really REALLY missed having someone place my napkin on my lap and pull out my chair for me to sit. In fact, I expressed this to my husband and he was nice enough to accomodate those missing dining perks at every meal. He's so good to me!

Overall, we really did try...we were SO nice and friendly every day at every moment and instance during this vacation to all who were around us. We were definitely not rude in any way. In fact, we tried to be friendly and happy to the staff in the hopes that they would catch on. I can't tell you how many times I smiled and said 'please' and 'thank you very much!' I am not looking to be attacked here, this is merely our reflections of our time at the Resort. I am not saying that EVERY resort of the non-Disney nature would be like this but we are not going to spend more money to find out. Why should we when Disney is a sure thing? When we are ready to see the rest of the world, we will do so as DVC members. This trip has ensured that Disney fun is definitely for us.

Thank you for all that have read my comments!

Sorry your trip was not what you were hoping for! I guess that's why I am so glad that Disney has so many different traveling options. We went to Disney's Hilton Head Resort in July, we'll be at BWV in December, and will go on the western cruise in April (all on DVC points). Three very different trips, but all associated with the Disney quality. Good luck on your next trip and I hope it is everything you are looking for!

One thing I forgot to mention...the highlight of our trip was taking a waverunner out of Cable Beach to peek around and see the Wonder docked! It was so awesome to see her, but SO SAD because I wished I were on her!

I'm so sorry that your trip was not the "Disney" experience. I do know what you mean though. We went to Cable Beach, Bahamas and stayed at the Radisson there, which is all-inclusive, if you want it to be. Anyway, we were NOT impressed. We had the same problems with a dirty room, staff not very attentive. My husband had to ask for salt/pepper 3 times one morning at breakfast, and finally he went up to find another table that had it, because no one brought it back to him. We did find out that the waitstaff and bellstaff in the Bahamas are under union, and we wondered if that was the difference.

The reason that I say that is because we went to a very well-known all-inclusive chain, but we went to Negril, Jamaica and we couldn't have been happier. They were all so incredibly happy and helpful. The staff put your napkin on your lap, and we never, ever had an empty water glass, EVER!! I wonder if it's the difference between the 2 islands. We would go back to Jamaica in a heartbeat, but I'm not so sure about the Bahamas.

Originally posted by alikat99
I'm so sorry that your trip was not the "Disney" experience. I do know what you mean though. We went to Cable Beach, Bahamas and stayed at the Radisson there, which is all-inclusive, if you want it to be. Anyway, we were NOT impressed. We had the same problems with a dirty room, staff not very attentive. My husband had to ask for salt/pepper 3 times one morning at breakfast, and finally he went up to find another table that had it, because no one brought it back to him. We did find out that the waitstaff and bellstaff in the Bahamas are under union, and we wondered if that was the difference.

The reason that I say that is because we went to a very well-known all-inclusive chain, but we went to Negril, Jamaica and we couldn't have been happier. They were all so incredibly happy and helpful. The staff put your napkin on your lap, and we never, ever had an empty water glass, EVER!! I wonder if it's the difference between the 2 islands. We would go back to Jamaica in a heartbeat, but I'm not so sure about the Bahamas.

It may have just been the "chain." I have two different sets of friend who went to a different all-inclusive chain...one in the Bahamas and one in St. Lucia and they didn't have the complaints about the cleanliness.

I think a lot of it has to do with the type of vacation. We have stayed in an all-inclusive in Jamaica, and sailed RCCL as well as DCL. While the rooms were clean at the all inclusive, those type resorts IMHO just don't stress the service like a cruise ship does, (any major line, not just DCL).

That is why my husband and I have decided to stick with cruising for now. We like the staff constantly attentive to your every need (I'm a stay at home mom, that's my job 51 weeks a year!!!) so I enjoy that part the most when I vacation.

I guess my point is, I think it has more to do with the type of vacation rather than being Disney. I found the service on our RCCL cruises just as good as DCL and the cruise director and his staff were better on RCCL than DCL (bingo more fun, cruise director had electric personality and was everywhere etc.).

Originally posted by CRSNDSNY
One thing I forgot to mention...the highlight of our trip was taking a waverunner out of Cable Beach to peek around and see the Wonder docked! It was so awesome to see her, but SO SAD because I wished I were on her!

This made me LOL! Somehow after a Disney vacation nothing else ever measures up :D

5 years ago, after a wonderful WDW vacation, we went to look at the Disney Vaction Club. We talked with an agent and while we were already sold we decided to "think about it for a day".
Our children were 5 and 6 at the time.
After giving it some thought we decided that the kids are happy vacationing at WDW, DH and I are happy there. And every time we did go somewhere other then Disney, we were disapointed. SO... we took the plunge and bought into DVC, and have never once been sorry!
We do travel to other places (mostly to see family in N.Y. Wash.D.C. and FL) and we do a lot of camping. But when it comes to our "BIG" vacation we go with the mouse everytime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter