On site or off?

Feberin

DIS Veteran
I'm debating staying on site or off at Universal. Does the extra hour make a huge difference? We're only going to do one day in the parks if that matters but really only interested in the Harry Potter stuff. We're going end of April.

Also does anyone know if it's like Disney and a toddler doesn't count for room totals?

Staying onsite in one of the Portofino, Hard Rock or Royal Pacific makes a huge difference with the unlimited express pass that you get included. Staying in the other onsite hotels is very nice for the convenience.

I would highly recommend staying on property, especially if you only have one day. Even if you do not stay at one of the high tier resorts with unlimited EP, but those with only EE it will definitely help and be nice to have that extra hour. Even if you do not have take advantage of that it helps a lot that you're already on property. A hotel that is even just a few miles away can equal to a 10-15 minute drive with lights / traffic / ect. Which doesn't seem like much, but with that, on top of getting in line to pay for parking, parking the car, walking to security, going through security, walking to the gate of the park. A rough estimate of that would take about 30-45 minutes. So, in total you're looking at about roughly an hour from getting into the car to standing at the gate.

Ideal resort would be HRH, as not only you have unlimited EP and EE, but it's a breeze to walk over to Universal and is the closest hotel to any of the parks. Also, USF is always (EE hasn't been at IoA in ages) EE park which is even better. If you can't afford that, that's fine, as honestly, I think it's good just in general to be on property anywhere, as you can to save time and get that extra hour, especially if you have only one day.

I would highly recommend staying on property, especially if you only have one day. Even if you do not stay at one of the high tier resorts with unlimited EP, but those with only EE it will definitely help and be nice to have that extra hour. Even if you do not have take advantage of that it helps a lot that you're already on property. A hotel that is even just a few miles away can equal to a 10-15 minute drive with lights / traffic / ect. Which doesn't seem like much, but with that, on top of getting in line to pay for parking, parking the car, walking to security, going through security, walking to the gate of the park. A rough estimate of that would take about 30-45 minutes. So, in total you're looking at about roughly an hour from getting into the car to standing at the gate.

Ideal resort would be HRH, as not only you have unlimited EP and EE, but it's a breeze to walk over to Universal and is the closest hotel to any of the parks. Also, USF is always (EE hasn't been at IoA in ages) EE park which is even better. If you can't afford that, that's fine, as honestly, I think it's good just in general to be on property anywhere, as you can to save time and get that extra hour, especially if you have only one day.

I second the HRH. Short walk and security is a breeze. A long line at that security check point is when 1 person is in front of you.

We probably would do Endless Summer. The HRH is not in the budget especially since we'd definitely need two rooms there.

Perhaps unpopular opinion, but if you only are interested in the Wizarding World: A park-to-park-ticket for one day at any hotel can be sufficient.
As I invited my mum to Orlando/Disney World in March 2018, we only did one trip over to Universal with a park-to-park-ticket. We did all things she was interested in: All things with Harry Potter (including shopping) and two times HE (each direction), E.T., Shrek 4D, King Kong, Jurassic Park, Spiderman, Mummy as well as SR-line for RipRockit and Hulk for me, lunch and walking around each park and we were done by 2.30 p.m.

And while the toddler does not cost more to stay in the room with you, like most places, including Disney, a toddler does count in the number of people allowed in a room.

For me, I'd stay onsite, even at SF or CB, just to be able to walk, bus or take a boat to the parks. However, getting there early is the best way to see much before the crowds. Though there will be crowds to get to the new Potter ride.

And usually, only the Studios have early entry. So, I'd start in Islands, and agree, use a park to park ticket, and take the train over to the Studios.

Have a fun day, where ever you decide to stay.

We've done both and really prefer on-site if possible.

If all you plan to do is the Harry Potter sections it can be done when staying off-site. Just make sure you get there for rope drop.

And while the toddler does not cost more to stay in the room with you, like most places, including Disney, a toddler does count in the number of people allowed in a room.

For me, I'd stay onsite, even at SF or CB, just to be able to walk, bus or take a boat to the parks. However, getting there early is the best way to see much before the crowds. Though there will be crowds to get to the new Potter ride.

And usually, only the Studios have early entry. So, I'd start in Islands, and agree, use a park to park ticket, and take the train over to the Studios.

Have a fun day, where ever you decide to stay.

Thank you! I figured but was hoping since it would have saved some money. I think we're going to try to get two rooms at Endless Summer.

Can your budget go up to Cabana Bay? It’s a more convenient location. Their family suites are really nice too

We might do Cabana Bay Beach Resort. Somehow when I was looking my party was listed as 5 adults, which increased the price. We only have 3 adults. They seemed to have open parking is that true? I am not sure if our roof pod will fit in the garage at Endless Summer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!