On Board Account question

DWillowBay

DIS Veteran
Is it possible to load an on-board account prior to your cruise from the Disney Visa Reward Card? Or is it strictly from a Credit Card? We like to take care of expenses upfront and then just relax through the cruise. Thank You!!

Is it possible to load an on-board account prior to your cruise from the Disney Visa Reward Card? Or is it strictly from a Credit Card? We like to take care of expenses upfront and then just relax through the cruise. Thank You!!

Hmm. I don't have the Disney Visa card, but I sure did load up some bucks for our Fantasy sailing last month! I called a couple of times and just put $$ on our onboard account from our debit MasterCard. I would think you could do the same.... someone here will know for sure. :cutie:

You can purchase onboard credit through the Gifts and Amenities number. I know you can use a credit card or a Disney Gift Card. Don’t know about a reward card.

I would think you can use the Reward Redemption Card in advance — call and ask. Also, if you think you may not have enough Rewards dollars to cover your onboard expenses, you can pre-purchase additional onboard credit with the Disney Visa. If you do it in advance, it will qualify for the 0-interest offer; if they charge the card onboard, it will be a regular charge.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would think you can use the Reward Redemption Card in advance — call and ask. Also, if you think you may not have enough Rewards dollars to cover your onboard expenses, you can pre-purchase additional onboard credit with the Disney Visa. If you do it in advance, it will qualify for the 0-interest offer; if they charge the card onboard, it will be a regular charge.

Enjoy your cruise!

lanejudy.... didn't know that. Thank you for that little tid-bit! That could help too! OOOOOooooh! I anticipate lots of spending in my future. :scared1:

Dumb question: what if you put money on your on board account, and don't spend it all. Does it get refunded to you at the end of the cruise? Does it just stay there in the hopes that you'll be on a future cruise? Basically - can you get it back? TIA!

Dumb question: what if you put money on your on board account, and don't spend it all. Does it get refunded to you at the end of the cruise? Does it just stay there in the hopes that you'll be on a future cruise? Basically - can you get it back? TIA!

It is refunded to the form of payment.

We use our Disney Visa rewards on our onboard account for almost every cruise.
Just remember not to toss the redemption card after they load it to your onboard account, if there are any funds left it goes back on to that redemption card. Nope, that has never happened for us, we spend it all and then some!

Have fun!

It is refunded to the form of payment.

To add to what Dug said, make sure if you use Disney Gift Cards that you keep the cards! Any unused OBC that came from gift cards will be redistributed back to said gift cards.

We use our Disney Visa rewards on our onboard account for almost every cruise.
Just remember not to toss the redemption card after they load it to your onboard account, if there are any funds left it goes back on to that redemption card. Nope, that has never happened for us, we spend it all and then some!

Have fun!
Don’t toss the Rewards cards at all, even if you use all the rewards. These no longer expire, so next time you want to use your rewards you don’t have to order a new card.

Slightly off topic, but may help... We have a Disney Visa credit card and put it on our account to qualify for the discount in the on-board shops. (purchases over $50??) We later visited Guest Services to pay down our account with Disney gift cards we purchased prior to the trip. I think once your on-board account gets to $500(?), the charges are sent to the credit card unless you pay it down first. We found out late in the cruise, we didn't need to visit Guest Services to get our account balance, it is available on the TV. (haha!) DVC qualifies for discounts too. It's noted on your KTTW card.

To add to what Dug said, make sure if you use Disney Gift Cards that you keep the cards! Any unused OBC that came from gift cards will be redistributed back to said gift cards.

Which makes it even more important to combine all those little $25 and $50 and $100 gift cards into one. You can do that on disneygiftcard.com and put up to $1000 on a card.

Doing that is a win-win for everyone. You if you call in to buy OBC, the agent on the phone - or you at Guest Services, the CM at Guest Services, and EVERYONE behind you in line at Guest Services if you put money on your account then - AND you if there is a refund to the card. Rather than going through a stack to see which one/ones the money got refunded to, you only have one (or I guess 2 or 3 if you had that much loaded on).

Surely you jest!!!!! Leftover money on a DCL cruise....preposterous!!!! LOL!
That unlikely event happened to us once. Family trip for my wife's 60th birthday with a traveling party of 15. This is the only cruise my wife and I have traveled concierge (in the Walt suite) so I was able to book 2 cabanas on Castaway Cay. Had added stateroom credit to cover all of our excursions, and when we could not dock at Castaway, the charge for the 2 cabanas was refunded.

Which makes it even more important to combine all those little $25 and $50 and $100 gift cards into one. You can do that on disneygiftcard.com and put up to $1000 on a card.

Doing that is a win-win for everyone. You if you call in to buy OBC, the agent on the phone - or you at Guest Services, the CM at Guest Services, and EVERYONE behind you in line at Guest Services if you put money on your account then - AND you if there is a refund to the card. Rather than going through a stack to see which one/ones the money got refunded to, you only have one (or I guess 2 or 3 if you had that much loaded on).

Agree this is SUCH a good thing to do for lots of reasons!! And it only takes a little time to get it done. :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!