Ollivander's, morning or night? (plus bonus transport question)

staceychev

Mouseketeer
Hi All -

We're getting super excited for our first family trip to USF/IoA. We are all big HP fans, so that's the primary focus of our visit. I've got two questions relating to wand purchase:

1. What is the better (ie, easier, less crowded) time to go to Ollivander's - morning (early park entry) or end of day? I'm talking Friday Dec 7, so I don't think the crowds will be unbearable.

2. There's a possible chance that we could get to the park not too long before closing - if our plane lands on time (4:40 pm) and rush hour traffic cooperates. We will have "buy 2 get 2" tickets for our trip, so I could totally throw away a day on a trip to Ollivander's. If we can get to the park entrance of USF by 6:30, and the park closes at 7, is there any chance we could get the interactive wands purchased by the time the store closes?

Thanks!

1. The crowds really won't be so bad that you have to go out of your way to plan around them! Diagon Alley will have shorter lines as they have more show rooms though.
2. Yes. It'll be a little tight though. My kids weren't picked in the show so they had to pick their own. They didn't want character wands so had to read all the signs to find the one that fit the best. :)

Good point about taking time to read the signs. I don't want them to feel rushed. I think we want to go to Diagon Alley anyway - my older daughter will think it's more proper. After all, a real wizard wouldn't buy her first want in Hogsmeade!

We bought my moms wand at the little stand across from Weasleys. They had I think all the interactive wands without having to battle the store. Mom uses an ecv and it was near impossible to get through there.

The little stand was nice, could see all the different ones in one spot.

We bought my moms wand at the little stand across from Weasleys. They had I think all the interactive wands without having to battle the store. Mom uses an ecv and it was near impossible to get through there.

The little stand was nice, could see all the different ones in one spot.
Some wizards wouldn’t want to buy from Gregorovich (name of that shop). ;) But, yes, Ollivanders is a tight squeeze!

They sell the wands at Orlando airport
Thanks, but that's definitely not an option. Buying from the wand store is definitely part of the experience we want. (This from the mom who had to explain to her DD8 just a couple of months ago that she wasn't getting a wand from Barnes and Noble because we were waiting for our visit to Ollivanders!)

For a child, I think it is way more important to have the wand than where it was bought at.

What about robes
I'm really torn about robes. We're doing HP t-shirts, but I don't know that my DD13 will want to wear a robe (teenagers!), and where she goes, little sister follows.

I need to figure out a way to ask the girls what they would want to do without showing my hand, because the trip is a 100% surprise - ie, pick them up from school and give them 15 minutes to pack before leaving for the airport. Unfortunately, DD13 is really inquisitive and analytical and can suss out my motives pretty easily!

For a child, I think it is way more important to have the wand than where it was bought at.
For many kids, sure. But I know my kids and how into the HP universe they are, and I know they will want to get their wands in the park at the wand store.

I'm really torn about robes. We're doing HP t-shirts, but I don't know that my DD13 will want to wear a robe (teenagers!), and where she goes, little sister follows.

I need to figure out a way to ask the girls what they would want to do without showing my hand, because the trip is a 100% surprise - ie, pick them up from school and give them 15 minutes to pack before leaving for the airport. Unfortunately, DD13 is really inquisitive and analytical and can suss out my motives pretty easily!

The robes are pretty expensive in the park - $100 range. DD got one as her main souvenir one trip, and they are really well-made. However, she outgrew it after a couple of years. For an older Potter fan, I think it is worth it, especially if they will keep it and wear it for other occasions, but you might want to think about getting little sister's ahead of time. You could pull it out at the same time!

The robes are pretty expensive in the park - $100 range. DD got one as her main souvenir one trip, and they are really well-made. However, she outgrew it after a couple of years. For an older Potter fan, I think it is worth it, especially if they will keep it and wear it for other occasions, but you might want to think about getting little sister's ahead of time. You could pull it out at the same time!
Yeah, the price of the robes is what makes me pause! I was looking on them on Amazon, and I imagine that the cheap ones aren't very well-made - more junky Halloween costume than anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter